Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Game in Cape Point NR?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:43 pm 

As a resident of the Cape Peninsula, and WildCard holder, I visit Cape Point NR regularly, at least once every two months, during all seasons. Each visit is for at least 4-5 hours, and we drive most of the routes.

In the last two years we have seen two eland (both occasions on exactly the same spot below the parking area at the Point), and three ostriches. No other game at all, not even baboons.

I've been visiting CPNR for over 35 years amd have never know it to be this sparse.

Has there been a game cull at the park? Or a sell off of the game?

Post subject: Re: Game in Cape Point NR?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi HiltonP & welcome to the forum.

The game is very shy. I saw a large herd of eland a coupla years ago in the C of GH area, and I have seen more antelope from outside the park, driving towards Scarborough.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm 

Wow! . . . 2 eland, and 3 ostriches . . . in more than 12 visits.
That's more than shy, that's extinct! :D

Why weren't they shy 10 years ago? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with BB that the CP game is very shy. However, perhaps I've been luckier than I thought in my infrequent visits, because I almost always have seen bontebok (on the main road, the Olifontsbos road, the Cape of Good Hope road and the circular road) and on my last two visits have seen quite a few ostrich, including chicks (mainly on the False Bay side).

It helps to go at less busy times, I think, weekdays and early. The heavy traffic of coaches racing to the point tends to drive the game far from the roads :twisted: By 10h00, game tends to be far more scare.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:55 pm 

Yes, apart from whales, mammals are not the high point of a visit to Cape Point. You should rather develop an interest in insects and other invertebrates, reptiles and plants - this is one of the richest places for them! An endless fascination....

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:03 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
and birds!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:25 pm 

sorry - of course- and birds. :redface: Although I am told that fynbos birds are not all that numerous.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
@HiltonP - I think you have been unlucky over the past 2 years! :(

CP animals are shy, but we have seen quite a lot on the Olifantsbos road - big herd of eland, hartebees, lots of bontebok, grey rhebok, ostrich, baboons, snakes, tortoises and terrapins, and the birds. The eland and rhebok blend in really well with the landscape so look very carefully. Zebras - have not seen from inside the park for 4 years now, but sometimes seen along the fence from the road(to Scarborough) outside the park.We have only seen baboons on the main tar road, so try the less travelled roads.

Birds seen - Jackal buzzard, Steppe buzzard, Black shouldered Kites, Cape Sugarbird, Bishops, and different sunbirds (Malachite sunbirds always seen at Olifantsbos car park) to name but a few.

Cape Point is one of the parks that you can get out of your car, so explore some footpaths and you will be surprised what you find, be it in the fynbos or a tidal pool. Enjoy! :thumbs_up:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:46 am 

wanderw wrote:
CP animals are shy, but we have seen quite a lot on the Olifantsbos road

Please can you tell me, where is the Olifantsbos road? There seems to be very little on the SANParks website about Cape Point NR. Does anyone know of a source for more information, and particularly for a detailed online map of the area?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:26 am 

Thanks for the responses folks. I am aware of the range of fauna and flora at CPNR, as I mentioned in my original post I have been visiting the reserve for over 35 years. I was more concerned about the perceived drop-off in viewed game recently. It seems that I might just be having bad luck (and rather consistent bad luck at that!). Just seems strange that I used to see a range of game on each visit, and now I don't. :?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Why not reintroduce black rhino into the park. They could have some fun with fishermen.....

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

anitagibbs wrote:
wanderw wrote:
CP animals are shy, but we have seen quite a lot on the Olifantsbos road

Please can you tell me, where is the Olifantsbos road? There seems to be very little on the SANParks website about Cape Point NR. Does anyone know of a source for more information, and particularly for a detailed online map of the area?

Olifantsbos road is the first turnoff on your right after you enter the park (it is several Kms after you enter). You'll get a small map of the park when you enter. You can get more detailed maps (of Cape Town and the whole Cape Pennisula) at the AA office in the Picbel Arcade downtown.

@HiltonP; Perhaps the fall-off in game seen is related to the increase in traffic — especially those huge coaches — racing through the park to the point? :twisted: :roll:

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:54 pm 

Thanks, arks.

I do wish more information and maps were available online. I like to learn a bit in advance about places I'm going to visit, and familiarise myself with the layout etc.

We did do a day tour of the Peninsula, which included Cape Point, while we were staying in Constantia last March for my son's wedding but, of course, you only really get a chance for a glimpse of everything, and we weren't given any maps. This time we want to pick one or two places to spend some time at.

I'll see if I can find somewhere online to order a map.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Anita, the Cape Point area isn't really all that big, so don't worry too much about planning in advance. My best advice is to go early and stay away from the main tar road. There are a variety of side roads to explore. From the entrance, the first that you encounter are those on your right, the Olifantsbos road is first and then the circular road.

After that there are two roads on the left that lead to the False Bay side. The Black Rocks road has two branches and the one that goes to the north ends at a point after which you can walk to a brilliant tidal pool. I haven't done this as walking in remote places isn't something I think wise to do alone :( , but wanderw can tell you more. I'd also think the beach at Olifantsbos would be great for a ramble.

The second road on the left leads to Buffelsbaai, and there are two other roads on the right, one to Platboomstrand and the other to the Cape of Good Hope. Each of these roads and "destinations" has a different appeal and you'll only know which you prefer by trying them. (There are also a couple of lookout points, and of course the main tar road ends at the point, with the funicular to the lighthouse, etc. I'm writing all this from memory without looking at a map, so I might have overlooked something :wink: )

I'd also suggest that you go to Cape Point on a weekday rather than a weekend as it gets really busy on weekends when many come to spend the day and all the roads are thickwith cars, especially where there are braai spots.

In September there should also be lots of flowers, so wanderw's suggestion that you explore some of the walking trails is excellent. The fynbos is fascinating and you'll see lots of great birds!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm 

Thanks so much, arks. This really is what I want to know. :thumbs_up:

We won't want to go right down to the point. It's nice to have done it, but we don't feel the need to do it again! We found it very crowded, with loads of coaches, and rather touristy. We really want to see the flowers and any wildlife we may be fortunate enough to come across, including the birds. And I'd love to see dassies, but realise we're unlikely to.

Sadly I feel the same as you do about remote places. My sister and I are both over 65 and would feel very vulnerable, so would stick to areas where there are other people around. Are the walking trails that wanderw suggested safe? Are the side roads tarmac or gravel and, if gravel, are they in reasonable condition?

Yes, we'll definitely go on a weekday. I can imagine what it's like at weekends!

Thanks again for your advice. :D