Skip to Content

Low Maintenance Roads

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Scipio

Low Maintenance Roads

Unread postby Scipio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:33 pm

I recently discovered these little roads around Palaborwa Gate. Has anyone travelled them. They are brilliant. It is only for High rise vehicles though. :clap:

Elsa

Re: No Maintenance roads.

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Are these new roads Scipio?
The only ones I see on my map are the S131 and S51 to Sable Dam and the ruins.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Elsa, these roads are not on a map yet. There is a lot of k's to travel. I am mapping them with the GPS at the mo.
they are really nice. :thumbs_up:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:50 pm

Scipio wrote:Been on two today, if you want big5 you might see it if you are lucky. One thing you do get is a lot of birds, snakes(3,5meter mamba included :big_eyes: ) & the highlight, African Wild Cat. :lol:

Very good. Not for anybody that wants to rush from camp to camp or sighting to sighting. :thumbs_up:

I saw a concrete "plinth" road sign under construction along the H14 in Sept , are these the roads being referred to ?

I am convinced you see more of the "small special" game on quieter roads , also that one saw more early morning specials when there were less cars .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:36 am

I drove the one that takes you to the viewpoint over Letaba river on Sunday morning on the way out of the KNP . The solitude is most impressive . Saw a brand new giraffe still with umbilical cord .
Saw only two other high ground clearance vehicles . Sedan cars will get in trouble after more heavy rain .
Scipio , I think keep your spade ready .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Skopsie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Skopsie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:35 pm

One can get a map of these roads at the Phalaborwa Gate. The roads are called Category D roads. According to the map, the total distance is 54km.

I did a few of them. They have a different atmosphere about them. It is like driving on a farm road. You can’t be in a hurry, because the going is slow. There are lots of speed humps to prevent the roads from water damage during downpours. I did them in a Corsa Utility, which handled the roads perfectly well. I won’t do it when the roads are wet.

The sightings were not good, but I did them during the hot hours of the day. Birding is good though. I will definitely do it again, but if you have to travel between camps, I won’t recommend them.
"I bashed with Bush Babtist!!"

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 am

Skopsie, big game tend to be shy on these roads but, we did get a HUGE herd of Buffalo, & some nice ellie there. I know of a litter of AWC :twisted: Saw them twice already. Pangolin :big_eyes:

2 Black Rhino on one of the loops(Wont say where :twisted: ) Also Bird, reptiles & other small stuff abound. :thumbs_up: These little roads are great & the view over the Letaba (Old road to Mahlangeni) is cool. 8)

Best is, you just tend to have solitude at a sighting. We sat in between the herd og Buff. for hours, seeing them interact. :wink:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:18 am

Road between H9 & H 14
View over Letaba river , not far from Shimuwini .

Dakka

Unread postby Dakka » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:04 pm

I have traveled most of these roads in the vicinity of Phalaborwa gate and am as excited as Scipio.

I have not seen much but the solitude and roads remind me of days gone bye.

Dont be in a hurry but they are all well worth while.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:34 pm

We did the one that goes between the S131, and the H9, near the Shivhulani hill and it was better conditon than the S131 itself!! :?
Saw no other traffic, not much in the way of animals, long grass, but lots of birds. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Sprocky

Re: No Maintainence Roads

Unread postby Sprocky » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:15 pm

ruud, there are more than just two in the area and they are great roads to take.

etienne1

Re: No Maintainence Roads

Unread postby etienne1 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:26 pm

hi all i drove the so called low maintenance roads near phalaborwa gate en route to tsendze and loved it real out in the bush experience :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

michel367

Re: OFF ROAD RUMOURS

Unread postby michel367 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:22 pm

The roads that ARE visible are all marked "low maintenance" roads.
You are allowed to drive on them.
If you are not sure or there is no sign visible don't drive on them. :lol:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:34 am

ndloti wrote:There are no 4x4 single day trails around Lower Sabie .

The only low maintenance roads in KNP are those close to Phalaborwa .
The type of terrain in the area is probably more suitable - it appears they require less maintenance - have a look on google earth .

DarylJ

Unread postby DarylJ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Have had the pleasure of driving a few of these roads Nov & Dec 2009 and May 2010.

They are marked at each end of the road, indicating that only "High clearance" vehicles should use these roads.

They are not indicated on the map which means you don't know where they lead to until you get to the end!! (suppose thats half the fun)

I unfortunately don't recall the road names but there is one just near the turn off to Sable Dam, and another just near Masorini.

I must say it was a fantasic experience as invairably you are the only one on the road and you really get the feeling of being in the bush (even better than on the gravel roads)
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you ice cream and that's almost the same!

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”