Skip to Content

Satara Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Satara

Unread postby Penny » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:07 pm

There is also a wonderful donor cottage situated right behind the waterhole that is outside the fence. This waterhole is floodlit at night and is controlled by the Rudy Frankel cottage but it is the cottage next door called the Stanley that is utterly charming that I speak of. When one returns from your morning drive there is a plethora of reading matter written by Anne Stanley after whom the cottage is named. The books are called "Heaven on Earth" and make for the most fascinating reading. As for the "cottage" itself it is absolutely splendid with a dining room of baronial proportions and a wonderful atmosphere. We delighted in spending 4 days in this wonderful accommodation and barely needed to go out for a drive. At the floodlit waterhole at night we saw - leopard, lion, hyaena, elephant, buffalo, african wild cat, civet, genet (in our garden)and so many other animals. It sleeps at least 9 people that I remember and the bedrooms and bathrooms are totally old fashioned but charming nevertheless. Check it out next time any of you want to stay at Satara. We have also stayed at the Rudy Frankel cottage next door several times but it has not got nearly as much character as the Stanley.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:28 am

U could expect sunsets like these at Satara.

Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:58 am

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Satara

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:57 am

Satara:
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 pm

This pic was taken from inside the camp of the new day visitors area presently being built.

This one was taken from the road leading into the camp. The building is on one's left approaching the camp.
Sawubona
Dalene

Fizzpop
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: satara

Unread postby Fizzpop » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:30 am

The pool was completed and landscaped just before Mid December 05. It is now "settled" and really a welcome addition to the camp. It is located in the area between where reception was and the petrol station. Further upgrades and to the entrance and Day Visitors area were done.
You will not believe the camp is the same when you see it from the road before entering!

My only small gripe is the Pool is set a fair distance from the Camping Ground area, as i can only afford to camp at Satara with my family.... no "budget family accommodation"!
"Some are Guilty, but we are all Responsible"

KNP: 03 Jan to 12 Jan 14 (Berg n Dal, PKop, Croc Bridge)
KNP 10 May to 17 May 2013 (Malelane, Satara, Skukuza)
KNP 16 July to 26 July 14 (Croc Bridge, Tamboti, L Sabie )

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 am

Perimeter bungalows at Satara - BD2V

Unit # 167

Unit # 179

Again of Zebra – she makes a nice photo :D

Barbara
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Barbara » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 pm

We stayed in Hut no 161 at Satara for eight fantastic nights on our last visit. It was wonderful just sitting on the stoop at night listening to the lions roaring. A spotted hyaena walked past along the fence nearly every night! you could hear it approaching and we would wait expectantly for it to pass our hut, Magic! We did enjoy having a perimiter hut it was so private and you were not overlooked.

gwendolen
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gwendolen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:10 am

The plaque in the background.

Obelix
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Obelix » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:31 pm

New swimming pool at Satara:

Ollie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Satara entrance gate

Unread postby Ollie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:26 am

I notice a number of forumites have mentioned in recent trip reports the new Satara entrance, does any one have any pictures of the new entrance they can share with us?

katydownunder

Unread postby katydownunder » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:56 am

Hi I just stumbled over this topic.
I think the new entrance gate is indeed ugly.DB described it's location quite well .
The day visitors area with no large trees looks sterile,not very comfortable as nightjar remarked especially during the hot summer months.The whole area reminded us of some kind of building site.

Here is the new gate:

And this is how the old gate looks at the moment:

The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Long term planning

Unread postby KNP Spokesman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:44 am

Hi Forumites

Here is the classic situation of where I believe the forum plays an important role in the development and improvement of the KNP in general.

Having read this thread, I approached our Technical Services Department and asked what the plan was regarding Satara Camp Gate. I used the fact that our forum members were saying that the old gate added considerable ambiance to the camp and that you felt that ambiance might be lost if the new gate didn't have the atmosphere of the old gate.

I have since been told that it is definitely in the long term planning that we will try and give the new gate as much of the old gate's ambiance as we can. However, as the camp's other facilities need attention at the moment, our priorities are to fix the camp first before this can be done.

I think the forumites who raised this issue should give themselves a pat on the back! Personally, I am constantly amazed at what the forum achieves, both actively via projects like Duke Quest and passively by words of encouragement, advice and constructive feedback. This can only make our beloved Kruger even better.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park
110 Years of Conservation Success - Now isn't that worthy of a Celebration!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Thinking, just thinking.

Thing is, these gates are not just gates. They speak to us in many ways. They carry our memories. They allow us to feel secure and happy.
If you look at the postings on this thread, you have to say, they are all mad. Kruger mad. Gates are not gates, they are a symbol of a passion for the wild. Why else would we even have this thread about a very small pathetic gate?

As we go out they breathe in our hopes and expectations. As we come in, they carry our memories.

There are many changes, and believe me I support them. Yet we need to be a part of the change.

What I am saying, if the gates need to be moved, if you need man/woman power, we are there.

I would sleep on the floor.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:46 am

Here are the pics as things stand at present, so we can plan our strategies for the relocation. :whistle: :lol:

Old gate.

New gate and entrance. (lets hope for not too long)

Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”