Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 am 

Ok, so I'm 21, living in Australia for almost two years now and having grown up in Ellisras, heart of the bushveld, I must admit, I HATE camping. Don't know why, don't know how, I just do.

I would love to take my brother, his tagg along and all his friends to Kruger for a holiday when I get there in May, just the young ones, catching up and doing what we do best, yet, he won't go if we don't go camping. For some or other reason, it's his new found love and he wants to go bush.... What do I do?

I love my comfy bed, warm enclosed room when I wake, a nice hot relaxing shower on my own and a private braai to relax at in the evenings. :?

I have even offered to book us into the Luxury Guesthouses, but still he refuses....

I was hoping some of you could convince me otherwise, convince me that I love camping and why... :hmz:

Please share with me your amazing camping Kruger storeis and experiences. I'm a bit of a fussy one, but change is not always a bad thing I guess....

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Post subject: Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:02 pm 

Hi Maddie88!
I was never a camp fundi, but fell in love with it. There are always clean ablution facilities so you can still take that hot shower. The nightsounds are so much more clearer when you camp. You tend to lose all those sounds when sitting in a bungalow or guesthouse. And just make sure to put up your tents and park your cars in a way that gives you privacy from other campers. Living in a bungalow is also nice and convenient, but I'm just trying to give you the pro's here of camping. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:24 pm 

Maddie88, camping is :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
I have been camping now for my whole life, and will never exchange it for a bungalow or chalet, but if you don't like the idea of pitching up a tent, etc why not go for a Safari Tent???
I agree with Suzz, the night life is just great, and normally you can sit next to the fence, depending on what camp you'll be staying at.
So my vote is 100% for Camping :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 pm 

Thanx Suzz & Droopy!
Ok, so, which has been your favourite camp in Kruger in regards to the camp sites?

My brother also live in Nelspruit, Droopy, well, White River actually... Same place really....

I heard a while ago that the hyenas come into the camps and they have dragged a guy out of his tent before bu his ankles!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Has anyone ver experienced/heard of something like that???

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:48 pm 

Hi Maddie88,
Also stay in White River YEAH!
I love Satara and Balule. But keep in mind Balule does not have power!!! So it's still a very raw camp, and I love it.
We camped at Lower Sabie 2 years ago, and believe it or not, we heard a noice in the early morning, went out and actually saw 2 hyenas in the camp,it was quite scary but nice to experience. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:57 pm 

Camping all the way - you can either camp in a caravan or a tent. I'm a caravanner so enjoy the "comfy bed" and privacy inside. The advantage of a braai at a campsite (i believe) is that people, can if they want to, talk to fellow campers about sightings as campers are generally very friendly. :thumbs_up:

We enjoy Lower Sabie (small stands) and Satara (large stands). Keep in mind that most stands are not grassed. They had a problem with a Hyaena at Lower Sabie but I believe he's been banned from camp :tongue: i.e. the hole in the outside fence has been repaired.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Maddie88 wrote:
I heard a while ago that the hyenas come into the camps and they have dragged a guy out of his tent before bu his ankles!!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Could happen in your chalet if you also leave all the doors (tent flaps) open.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hire a motorhome and you sleep on a comfy bed and all the rest sleep in tents outside..Some motorhomes and a small shower and loo So you dont have to go trotting around in the dark. So you have your comfort and the rest have their camping. Problem solved.
We love camping but sleep off the ground in our old Toyota Venture.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:28 pm 

This is my story.

I have tried it all. Guesthouses, safari tents, bungalows, lux cottages and honestly none can compare to camping in Kruger, or in any SANPark.

When camping, one is always outside - you wake, and you go outside for your early morning bathroom call. You have your first cup of coffee outside. You cook and eat outside. I find I miss so much when staying in a bungalow. The morning birdsong, the dawn break .... and at sunset too.

There is nothing better than camping next to the fence and sleeping with just the flysheet on the tent closed giving one a view of the bush all night. Just a piece of nets between you and the bush, and the night sky.

I could go on - but I need to pack for our trip to Kruger tomorrow - camping of course :dance:

EDIT: One can make the bathroom calls very comfy too. Take along a bottle of toilet seat disinfectant spray, and wear slip slops in the showers.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
I could go on - but I need to pack for our trip to Kruger tomorrow - camping of course :dance:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: All of you off for the cricket weekend have a super time :mrgreen:

Maddie I cant really help you with this question as I am very, very new to camping, well actually havent done it in Kruger yet, but will be able to give you my honest answer after My Trip :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:47 pm 

Thanx Guys!! What great advice I have got so far, can't wait to hear your campfire stories.

I think that CamperVan idea is the best! Can't believe I didn't think of that! Now, can you rent those by the day? Do you need a special lisence? I can't even drive a minivan so I won't even dare, but I think my brother can... :hmz:

Here in australia they have these portable showers and toilets for camping!!! I couln't believe it when I saw them the other day! Have any of you ever used anything like that? hehehehehe

I reckon that would have to be weird!

Enjoy your Trip Dinkybird! Hope we hear all about it!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 pm 

DinkyBird again I'm soooooo :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Enjoy and have a great time CAMPING

@ Mgoddard, after this camping trip, you'll never want to stay in a chalet or bungalow, except if there is a flood and everything get washed away :tongue: Happened twice at Berg en Dal :D and we still go camping. But again at least you have a story to tell :D :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Maddie, we had one of those old Volkswagen Kombi campers. The best trips with that camper - had 3 little boys aged 5,2 and 1 and what a feast. They were sitting either in their little safety stools or sleeping on my "modified" bed. We love parking at a water hole for more than an hour or so, and that was the best part of all. The toilet is in there, the gasstove for my coffee and the fridge for their milk. Even running water, and that is all next to one of the water holes! You can rent them by the day just like you would rent a car. Check the web for "rent a camper". We now only camp with a tent because the boys are grown up, and I usually get coffee for everybody while they put up my camp. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Maddie88, my wife and I used to camp in the KNP prior to us having a daughter. For the past couple of years we were staying in the Bungalows...nothing wrong with it but wow those nights in Balule and Satara in our tent were awesome. :D

We use to camp in a little 3 man tent (It's about a meter high) and we are seriously thinking about buying a descent tent and start camping again! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I used to camp a lot before doing the bungalow thing. If you're iffy about it, Maddie, any SANParks campsite is the place to do it. Outdoor magazines in SA are filled with praise for them written by happy campers. I camped in most of KNP's campsites and honestly don't remember a single bad experience. Being with family and friends around a campfire? Better than a guesthouse anytime. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next