Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why are you on the FORUM??
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Suggestion: Maybe change the heading of this thread to "Why I'm no longer active on the forum". That should generate a truckload of hits...

Speaking for me personally, I have now had it up to *here* with forum politics. Too much talk behind the scenes, too much writing under the table... You ask for input? But at the same time plain and simple advice to fellow forumites (given with a smile) is treated as a transgression of The Forum (Moderators'?) Laws...

Really guys, if you need an excuse to ban the since-day-one members, just tell us to leave. We'll be happy to oblige. Save the energy and time, and the wrist-slapping, belittling, Kindergarten approach for the real baddies (regularly pointed out to you by the same since-day-one members). Thank you!!

Go well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mainly because I don't spend enough time here, I didn't know about this thread and I'm surprised to see that there is some unhappiness amongst forumites ? I don't quite know what the issue here is, but generally I just ignore unjustified criticism - I don't argue with nasty people. Call me a coward if you want, but I think life's too short to let anybody spoil my fun, here on the forum or anywhere. Hope to see you all @ cricket !!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Why? simply because I find it the most comprehensive and complete source of information I'm seaching for and to make it all tops you find people truly interested in what they're doing and what they love: SA, Nature and all the rest of it.

After 25 years of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda this Forum is like finding gold!

Thank you all.

Andy
Milano - Italy

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The question is not only why are you on the forum? you can also ask yourself, why am I on this thread?

For me, it is the love and concern for nature, but as in life, not all are always well and the forum is needed as an outlet to let people know about our concerns (how else can this concerns be attended to? Believe me, Sanparks do take notice of concerns on the forum and sometimes we do expect miracles in a short time while the problem had taken a long time to develop), to tell people about our amazing experiences and parks and most of all, to meet the most divergent bunch of people in your life!!!! :thumbs_up:

Yes, we do get angry at some postings, but then we do get a good few laughs out of another - so the balance is there.

So what if there are :rtm: ? There are rules everywhere and it is not to much to ask to be civil at all times especially taking into account how many forum members there are :huh:

For me, I do love the forum and enjoy reading it .... takes my mind off the the nitty gritty of everydays problems and the knowledge obtained here, can't be bought any other place - where else will you get so many lecturers and so many students, 24/7 to your disposal :D

In conclusion: loving nature, meeting new friends, learning more about a lot, sharing love and sorrow and be part of the bigger picture ... that is the reason why I am still on the forum.

I am not so active as a I had been last year, but it is not due to a disinterest in the forum, but sometimes life throws a curveball (work) and then you must make a choice and prioritize! :(

But believe you me, I will stay on the forum!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:42 am 

PM from Grannyb :D :
Quote:
Hi Susan

Remember my PM on 28 January 2009 when I wrote "Thanks very much! As I mentioned to bert I recently lost my husband so at times can be very lonely."

Well, one month later, this is not the case any more. This forum is the best thing that I could have come across. All the wonderful friendly people and animals keep me busy for hours.

I am also finding my way around very well now thanks to all the friendly advise. Everybody is always so willing to help.

If you would like to post this to one of the forums please feel free to do so.

Thanks again to all
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you Grannyb and thank you forumites ! :D :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am 

Thank you Grannyb - and remember that you are one of the wonderful friendly people on this forum :clap:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
And thank you to you Grannyb, for bringing sunshine to the forum! :wink: It is indeed a great pleasure to have you around. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:13 am 

FAC Member (2012)
Thank you grannyb! It's great to have you on board this Forum! :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jose wrote:
Suggestion: Maybe change the heading of this thread to "Why I'm no longer active on the forum". That should generate a truckload of hits...

Speaking for me personally, I have now had it up to *here* with forum politics. Too much talk behind the scenes, too much writing under the table... You ask for input? But at the same time plain and simple advice to fellow forumites (given with a smile) is treated as a transgression of The Forum (Moderators'?) Laws...

Really guys, if you need an excuse to ban the since-day-one members, just tell us to leave. We'll be happy to oblige. Save the energy and time, and the wrist-slapping, belittling, Kindergarten approach for the real baddies (regularly pointed out to you by the same since-day-one members). Thank you!!

Go well.

:slap:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:57 pm 

Reading the forum has become quite an addiction for me. It is so seldom I manage to get to a park that planning and reading about it is a great part of the pleasure. Then when the trip is over, reading the forum keeps the feeling alive.
It is so informative and helpful.
It is fun getting involved in discussions especially if they are a bit heated.
When the webcams are up it is such a treet to see things actually at the waterholes - different to seeing photos of others experiences (although thats nice too)
And in general the forumites seem so nice - I hope to meet some of you some day

Addo 25,26,27 May

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:17 pm 

:D Tracylee !
Hope to meet you some day too ! :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:53 am 

FAC Member (2012)
:thumbs_up: Tracelee

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:05 pm 

I really don't know anymore? :hmz: It was a place for nature lovers to get together, have fun, exchange views & stories. :roll:

Now you give advice, you are treated like a problem child & a new rule applies. :naughty: The forum is now literally a virtual paradise for those who have never even been in the parks & are not making any effort to come first hand but, in my view has little other things to do. :whistle:

As Jose said, all the under the table stuff. :roll: Mod's, you should read this. 8) Not my post but a lot of others as well. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That is an interesting post Scips. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know of another local forum, about destinantions and holidays, that doesn't have a mod.

You have to see all the crap they have there, anyone can tell anyone else how they feel about each other, without any interferrence from a mod/owner of the forum.

They put wrong topics under wrong threads, put literrly anything on there, if it is relevant or not.

To me, the mods are doing a great job.! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next