Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Locked Posts / Off topic threads / Dreams for our future
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In fact..we cant expect South S. African people to solve overseas problems. and visa versa..so why dont we split this thread into two..one for Saffies to try and come up with a way to reach people in different South African language groups, and one for overseas people to work out how best to reach the languge group in their area?

Or havent we got that far yet?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:29 pm 

SZ - A while back there was a pretty emotional topic on the forums on the subject of introducing more languages to the forums, and here are links to SANParks' replies:

Read here and here.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My 2c worth. Finding mods as it is is like finding a diamond on the streets of Johannesburg. I would also love to be able to post in Afrikaans but English is the modern lingua franca. SA may have 11 official languages but all government documents are printed in English. Call it the main official language if you want. It is just not possible for SANParks financially or staffwise to accommodate other languages. I have never noticed anyone being treated different for not being 100% proficient either. There is always someone to help. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:42 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Guinea Pig :thumbs_up:
Yes, we have been through it all before. :wink:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If people feel so strongly that the website can only be in English I agree, because most people in South Africa understand English.

However, as I have written before, large groups of people in Europe don't speak English, so if another abreviated version of the site, or a separate thread, or whatever, can't be arranged for them in their own language, then best those wanting to include them on the forums (or whatever), reconcile themselves to the fact that its not going to happen.

Perhaps Dannie has some ideas of how a website, separate from Sanparks, but under their control, can be started up in other European languages.

DuQues, I think that if you took all the language skills and knowledge of all Sanparks game rangers, they would be able to answer any nature related question in any South African language.

A thought...can people only book on line if they understand English or are they at least afforded the opportunity to do it in their own language as they do here in Europe?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:37 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

*sigh* SZ, as you have been handed the other topics about language, and the final answer by Sanparks, why can't you let it rest?
As I said, no one is going to be happy as knowledge crumbles, and learning English, the de facto international language, is not too hard.
I'm not going to answer here anymore, it's a bit pointless...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DuQues..DB mentioned wanting to see the forum community extend to areas of the local and international population, Bert felt that having extra moderators on board with different language skills might help (to reach them I presumed)

I thought these were valid points and tried to think along with them as to how this might be possible because I thought we were looking for something non political and non religious to debate.

My sincere apologies for having irritated you and wasted your time.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Fascinating ideas and opinions from all of you. The links that DinkyBird posted has cleared up a lot of issues regarding the language debate.

If more languages are allowed you will have the problem to decide which language is acceptable and which languages are to be excluded. Imagine forumites starting to post in Arabic or Chinese!! :hmz: :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think we were only talking about Dutch, French, German and Spanish TheunsH as there are not many people posting from China or Arabic speaking countries.

French, German and Spanish speakers number over 600,000 million people world wide so are worth catering for, on separate threads or websites, if possible.

I gather, however that this is not possible,(although it is in Europe) so there is not much left to discuss.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:48 pm 

Snow Zee.

I'm English and embarassingly, like the majority of my fellow countrymen, I speak only one language fluently, that is English. I travel extensively through Europe and I have absolutely no trouble at all making myself understood, wherever I go.

You say that different languages being used would increase diversity and inclusion. I beg to differ and think it would cause major problems. If there is a forum for different languages then I have no doubt that the Afrikaans one will become the dominant one and the others will fall into disuse. That is because the majority of active users on this board are South African and the majority of these have Afrikaans as a first language.

However you do have a point. So perhaps a compromise. There's a link in my signature to the rules of the KNP. Perhaps a couple of forumites could have a go at translating these into different languages?

Also there's a few FAQs around, maybe these could also be translated and put as stickies in appropriate forums, to be used as a starter for non-English speaking members. I would volunteer myself but as I have stated before the language skills of the English are sadly far, far behind those of our European cousins.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Not going to join in this discussion, but having read through the topic for the first time, clicked on the `wanda` link. Wow!! Just wanted to express my admiration for the total clarity with which the piece was written. Could SANParks possibly have a better Head of Communications?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:47 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Interesting that all communication on this thread has been in English - and darn effective too!
Just imagine the multiple duplication of energy and effort expended on a daily basis if everything had to be "vertaaled" (translated). Heck; is it really worth it?

A gentle reminder to all those sensitive and emotive people on this forum - please keep the threads respectful and diplomatic with all involved. Otherwise we will all have to endure locked threads everywhere!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:01 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I want to thank all the Mods here (does that stand for "Modern (thinking) Moderators?) for always being available to put things into perspective, or to represent our more practical ideas to the relevant vested interests. And we know that, sometimes, you guys also take unnecessary flak, which makes your efforts all the more laudable. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for all your dedicated efforts - it's always appreciated! :clap: :clap: :clap:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:52 pm 
Guru
Guru

Scot wrote:
Not going to join in this discussion, but having read through the topic for the first time, clicked on the `wanda` link. Wow!! Just wanted to express my admiration for the total clarity with which the piece was written. Could SANParks possibly have a better Head of Communications?

Hi Scot,

Thank you so much for the compliment, I will make sure that my boss sees it just in time for the salary increase negotiations...LOL. Thank you, we aim to give a good service wherever we can. We are glad you enjoyed the writeup. :)

Regards,

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Image Hi, Wanda - nice to `meet` you. Hope you got your raise! Keep up the good work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next