Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Locked Posts
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It would OWN, but let me give you my 5c's.

The Forum has been around for almost 5 years, and in those years a lot of topics have been brought up and been discussed. From roads to camps to birds to mammals even all the heated debates such as speeding, poaching and culling have been around the blocks a few times.

What I am trying to say is that the forum is reaching a stage of its life where new idea's and topic discussions are needed as a lot of the topics have already been covered. There will always be new topics to discuss as events do happen from time to time, and I think you will notice that people will jump on a topic like that in a split second because it is something new.

It would be awesome if yourself or other members can create new fresh topics to be discussed by all that will have a positive and refreshing effect on the forum.
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:15 am 

Not sure how to put across what I want to say here, but I am going to try to. This being said in my personal capacity.

One of the things I love about this forum community is the way initiatives come forth from them. There is a building on each others creative ideas that often results in a major positive for SANParks.

One member might mention something, another add their idea to it and so the initiative grows and develops pulling in more members.

Anything is worth trying and looking at as long as we keep it within the rules of the forum. So, think as laterally as you possibly can :thumbs_up:

(While typing this I see some wise words from DD were posted!)

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:20 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

DotDan wrote:
The Forum has been around for almost 5 years,

4 years, 3 months to be precise. Well, precise? 4 years, 2 months, 30 days, 17 hours, 19 minutes, 6 seconds.
So a big party this year! :dance:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:26 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Code:
It would be awesome if yourself or other members can create new fresh topics to be discussed by all that will have a positive and refreshing effect on the forum

Thanks DotDan.
We are working on that.
The most important words being : Postive and Refreshing :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:30 am 

Just adding to the points DD brought up ...

Yes, the forum has moved through 'stages' and 'ages'.

When I first joined, when it started, it was just wonderful to find a place where we could all just share our love of visiting the parks.

We chatted and dreamed about what we ate when in the parks, if we preferred to camp or bungalow, did we try be first out of camp in the morning, our favourite dam ... and the first trip reports were SO exciting. Here we were able to sit and get reports back from some actually in the park right now! It was SO special!

I recall hanging on KNPS's every word when he posted a bit about his day in Skukuza village. It was like a continuation of Kobie Kruger's books!

Presently the forum is a more 'serious' place - we demand accountability from SANParks, we are far more aware of day to day issues within the parks and we have a much closer relationship with SANParks.

We, the members, really set the tone here .... and I believe because we have such a large and active membership we can actually have many different 'areas', each appealing to particular members. The big trick though for for all of us, is to practise respect and tolerance for those with different views to ours.

My dream is to see the forum extend further - into communities that enjoy the parks but are not yet represent here.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shall we debate how to reach the communities who enjoy the parks and are not yet represented on this forum? (Who are they by the way?)

Or is Bert going to come up with a list of 'positive and refreshing' topics?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:42 am 

Snow Zee wrote:
Shall we debate how to reach the communities who enjoy the parks and are not yet represented on this forum? (Who are they by the way?)

For example, communities boarding the parks but who do not have the internet access we do.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:

Presently the forum is a more 'serious' place - we demand accountability from SANParks, we are far more aware of day to day issues within the parks and we have a much closer relationship with SANParks.

This is a very good point that I would love to debate on.

The forum has reached ,like DB said, a very serious stage where the members have direct access to complaints and compliments being delivered to Sanpark staff and also Sanpark staff being able to comment on certain issues in the Forum Indaba and other sections. This is all good and well but I truly believe this "serious" tone we have set on the forum is more damaging than uplifting for the forum.

The forum is and I believe should be a meeting place for those who love the parks. It should be a virtual room for laughter and story sharing.
Using it as a daily soapbox room is not helping the cause. Sanparks know what valuable resource they have in the forum as it not only promotes the parks but also special things do happen from time to time where the forum members stand up and do great things.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 am 

LOL at Snow Zee
Moderators seldom make up topics
We accommodate them by requests
When we however split a topic we create new a topic
But the trick is to have topics on the forum within the rules laid down by
SANParks.
Rule no 1 and therefore for the moderators and members a very important one to folllow.
Quote:
1. This is a website dedicated to Nature Conservation and travel, in the South African National Parks. All postings must relate to this purpose.

One must never forget that we are all guests of SANparks.
They pay the bill.
But SANparks is a great host because we are allowed to wander of from
direct SANparks related topics, as you have experienced as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:58 am 

DD - good points!

The trick (again in my personal capacity) is to encourage/win SANParks to come into the forum community. And I know I am seen not only as a bunnyhugger, but a SANParks-hugger too, but I believe one achieves so much more if you go about things in the correct manner not one of stone throwing. But one of mutual respect with the intention of working together to achieve the same goal.

There is so much we can do to extend the forums further - it is really exciting!

And I do too love the fun and lighthearted sharing here - I believe that has been the secret to the success of the forums :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:17 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DB I live near Keukenhof...a garden that attracts approx. one million visitors in the two months it is open every year, but I actually dont know a Dutch person who has ever been there. I myself live in what is considered to be one of the prime tourist destinations in the Netherlands, yet when the tourists arrive, we leave.

Its the same in Durban and Cape Town, and I wonder if the Parks arent just suffering from the same lack of interest from amongst the locals? OR do those with internet actually show an active interest in the Parks?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I found the "Evolution of Man" topic very interesting, but I do understand that the direction it was taking was away from conservation and nature, so wasn't really Sanparks related, but .....

If we look at the evolution of humans in relation to their understanding of the importance of our co-operation with the natural world, isnt there a vast area open to debate.

Are we evolving towards a better understanding of the imperative of preserving nature to ensure our own preservation.

I watched a Youtube movie a while back about the critical importance of the insect world. Cant remember the statement exactly but it went something like this: "If we destroyed all the insects on the earth it wouldnt be very long before we would be covered in rotting debris.

And yet our children are exposed to the idea that all creepy crawlies must be killed. Yep KILL THEM DEAD. "We see those ads on TV every day. "Zappo kills all known insects dead"

When I was a youngster, reading the "Secret life of Plants" made a big impression on me, as did the "Magic of Findhorn", and also biologist Lyall Watson's books, "Super Nature" etc

A lot of people dismiss that stuff as nonsense, but we cant anymore with the new science of quantum theory and all of its mysteries.

Maybe it's all been covered here on the forum before, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by Hawk on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Snow Zee...Please excuse me if I've misunderstood your posting, but how could you possibly come to that conclusion, and question, after reading all the forum posts, insights, and trip reports from "the locals'? There seems to be a disconnect, and I would like to hear a further explanation relative to why you thought to ask that. Kindly enlighten me...(and from your previous posts, I do believe you are highly "enlightened", I just don't comprehend this one.)

Thank you, and will look for your further explanation.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:34 am 

I think it is a different situation here SZ. Places like the beach towns are as you say.

SA has a complicated history - and as a result, the visitors to the park are not reflective of the population in SA. SANParks are doing a lot to correct that and to encourage all to visit the Parks.

It would be wonderful to see the forums also go in that direction.

Granted not everyone has access to internet, or is taken with a virtual community. And we see that from SANParks personal too ... many are men and women of the bush ... and wish to spend their time there, not behind a pc.

But I still think we need to strive to make the forum community reflect the desired visitor ratio to the Parks. And here I mean, adding to the forum community.

I do not have exact facts and figures, but it might be worth taking a look at them.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 am 

I think there is room for many topics on this forum; from the light-hearted to the serious, which can include some "deep-thought." As long as we stick to basic rules and debate in a proper manner, there shouldn`t be a problem. I agree it should be nature-related and preferably specific to Sanparks but sometimes lateral thinking can take a course that is indirectly related to Sanparks but still valid in the whole scheme of things.

I shall be away for a month but will look forward to returning to some creative topics that you guys will no doubt think of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next