Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kobie Kruger's Books
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Was'nt the ranger you mentioned above just employed as a section ranger in KNP??

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:58 am 

ndloti wrote:
It is still there , the section ranger is Karien Keet , one of 3 female section rangers in KNP .

Cool!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Batmad wrote:
Was'nt the ranger you mentioned above just employed as a section ranger in KNP??

There was a new thread a few days ago stating so , but Karien Keet was allready listed on the Sanparks website as a section ranger more than a year ago when I printed the list , but I can't find it on the website now .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 am 

I think Karien has been there for a while now as ndloti says.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Karien has been working for SANParks for quite a while, and has in fact been section ranger in that region for a number of years already. Not exactly sure how many though.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 pm 

Can anyone help. I remember reading Kobie's Mahlangeni and the other books she wrote, and in one of them she wrote a bit about a baboon troop she followed. She had to get special permission from KNP to stay with the troop and this meant she was living in a caravan and also had to go off road to follow them. Thing is, I heard once she made a film about the baboon troop she followed. My question is, does anyone know what it is called and where can I get hold of it? There was one incident in the book she wrote about which I will never forget. She writes how she was watching the leader of the troop one afternoon just before it got dark, settling himself on a branch in a Jakalberry tree. He was obviously very tired (maybe had an early start and was really tired) when, next to him came and sat a guinea fowl who annoyed him tremendously. Every time he closed his eyes, this bird would give that all familiar 'cackle/squeek' sound and this big baboon would open one eye and just give it a dirty look as if to say 'one more time....and....' and then closed his eyes again, only to be disturbed again with this bird's cackle/squeek' (sorry, I dont know the spelling here), when all of a sudden, this baboon just gave this bird a lefty or rightie with his arm/hand and this bird went flying off the branch almost landing (or did it land) in the water below - a croc waiting....? I can't remember exactly, but I could just see this in my mind's eye and have to chuckle every time I see a big ol baboon settling himself in a tree for the night. Those guinea fowls noises can be irritating I guess. Anyway, I've read her books 3 times and every time was special. I've also had the privelage of talking to Kobie on the phone once or twice relating to my work at the time (cameras set up at waterholes in South Africa and elsewhere in the world). She is an amazing woman and have such a sweet and soft voice. I've lost touch with her though.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:18 pm 

Someone asked why did they leave (Kobie and family). Someone answered and yes, it is true and was due to personal issue. I know what it was, but don't know if I'm allowed to write it here. I think those of you who read the book Mahlangeni, will be devestated when you find out why they left. Very sad indeed. And yes, they moved to the coast where her husband Kobus was or maybe still is involved with a project relating to nature or a reserve close to where they live. Still involved with animals but don't know exactly which.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:53 pm 

The Baboon video is still available.

In Afrikaans it is called simply "Bobbejane". I do not know whether it is available in English, maybe it would then simply be called "Baboons".

Available at SABC TV Program sales. (011) 7143827

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: a wonderful book!
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:21 pm 

Hello everybody:
If you love KNP (who doesn´t?!) and if you like reading, I can recomment you a wonderful book, that I found in the library: "The Wilderness Family": Our home with Africa´s wildlife" from Kobie Krüger. I was very enthusiastic about this book! :thumbs_up:
It will definitely help you to remember your visit there and to shorten the time for a new visit!

Post subject: Re: a wonderful book!
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:29 pm 

Hi and thanks, Elly :D
You can read about Kobie's other books here.
You might enjoy them too !

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:22 am 

I keep forgetting to write the following: A couple of years ago, my girl friends and I stayed at Shimuwini (as far as I can remember, this is close or in the vicinity of where the Kruger family stayed). She writes in her book about the river which they had to cross often. On our night drive the ranger took us (the vehicle only 'takes' 7 or 8 people) so it was nice that it was just our group on the vehicle except for a french couple. Anyway, he took a short cut and we drove on the edge of the wall crossing the river Kobie wrote about. It was a scary experience, driving so close to the edge and there were crocs and hippos eyeing us out. I thought if this guy makes one wrong move with the vehicle we will land up in the water. I don't know what you call this wall, the water laps over and into the river below. It was a scary experience nonetheless, but all the while i thought of Kobie having to cross this river. What a brave woman she was!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Anyone who reads these books will notice the compassion and love of this lady, quite similar to that of Kuki Gallman

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There is currently a quiz running on Kobie's books, as well as others, here:

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Post subject: Kobie Kruger Documentary
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 pm 

Does anyone know if the documentary on the Baboon troup (Shingwedzi Troup) of Baboons can be purchased or downloaded for viewing to the public, or was it made only for the private sector? After reading Mahlangeni for about the 3rd time I am totally besotted with being able to view her documentary.

:roll:

Carole

Post subject: Re: Kobie Kruger Documentary
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:03 pm 

Hi Carole,

I know exactly how you feel! I love her books and have reread them many, many times! I also wanted to see the documentary she made so badly.

I was able to buy a copy of the Baboon documentary - it was a video tape (VHS). It was a good while ago, and I cannot remember where I bought it.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next