Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Worst insect experience
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:00 pm 

Not dedicated to SANParks but what is your worst experience with an invertebrate?

Mine was getting chased across a sand golf course in Dubai by a Camel Spider...they chase your shadow but didn't realise it at the time and the things look like aliens!

Please share

Kruger, Numbi Gate, Field Guide Training- 2nd- 30th March

STIFFNECK member

Post subject: Re: Worst insect experience
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

that's pretty much like the Roman Spider. :lol: :lol:

I have two that come to mind.
One was having a small insect fly into my ear. It set off a panic in me that was unbelievable. You have no idea how loud and scary an insect is when it has managed to reach your ear drum.

The other was when a creeply crawly managed to crawl up my jeans. It expertly started to make its way up and up and up my trouser leg, right next to my skin. :big_eyes:

I was on a Kruger walk and my instinct was to rip my jeans off there and then and get rid of the offending creature. Again, my panic just got bigger and bigger and bigger. My imagination also played havoc on what might be making it's way to territories unmentionable :big_eyes:

Eventually, I could bear it no longer and I stopped the walk :big_eyes: the ranger kept guard while I rushed into the nearest bush.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Standing by the stove in our Marloth Park house when a whip scorpion about 8cm across ran full speed under the kitchen door and across my bare feet :shock:

I'd never seen one before. They are so fast and so ugly (there is now a rubber strip on the bottom of the door to stop uninvited guests :wink: )

I do find the invertebrates interesting, but a bit of warning is always appreciated :D

Allan

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Once I drove through a huge golden orb web spider that was spanned across the road and the (very large) orb web spider fell in through my vehicle's open window and onto my bare leg (I was wearing shorts). It then ran up my inner thigh towards you know where. I just looked down at this scene in total horror and was completely frozen (and I was still driving, probably weaving across the road :lol: ). Luckily another guy was driving with me and flicked it off my leg! Close one that was :pray: :shock:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:25 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Senyetse, i would still be frozen :shock:
From my trip 2 yrs agro
Quote:
Picture this...
Enjoying the last night in Kruger, on the sofa on the porch of bungalow nr. 18, only the lowveld and the river in front of you with the southern cross above. The hippos grunting below you and the resident bat taking another swooping dive above you in search for insects attracted by the light.

SO and son went to bed so it was only me in the silent night going to say my goodbyes. As i grew very fond of Klipdrift and coke it was time to for my last triple. Opened the fridge and got a big scare. No more coke No problem, as a real musketeer i can take care of a pure Klipdrift.

Went over to the kitchen, eyed the few drops. Should be one nice stiff drink. Reached out for the bottle and got the fright of my life (I thought) A gecko sprinted from behind the bottle accross the wall. Nearly dropped the goodies, daft animal

Again reached out for the last golden drops, getting very desperate and then got the biggest fright ever in Kruger, eyeing my worst enemy. A SPIDER, at least 5cm, with dark long legs raced across the kitchen area, coming to a halt next to the fridge.

I have been passing elephants with 3 meters, had white rhino and buffalo within
Touching distances but this was my worst nightmare. The only safe place left for me
was the dining table. With lighting speed I took up my position on the table, my feet
safely from the ground, parked firmly on a chair, well away from the floor. We were
eyeing each other. Boy its was dark and huge. I had two problems….

No drink (still in the bottle out of my reach) and only socks on me feet. These monsters
can bite through socks or do a jump straight for my throught, having me crawling on the
ground and before I could call for help being paralyzed and never see the sun coming up again. What to do. Overcome my fear, go for the precious golden drops or try to tip-toe across the verandah, close every door and latch and go to bed.

I choose for the latter and it took me at least a hour to find the piece of mind to sink into
a bliss full sleep.

The next morning SO woke me: Bert, there is a huge spider in the verandah!
Boy, I was very happy when I left bungalow no. 18

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:35 pm 

If a tick is an insect, thens it's my wife getting tick bite fever last week while we were in Punda.

I spend the four days driving to the pool and back to get her fever down, went for a drive twice while she lay in the caravan, mised meeting Su-mari, but I still love her to bits and enjoyed the outing.

She got bitten before we left home, not in Kruger, from the gate I drove directly to the Dr who diagnosed and gave her medication. Still not 100% but much better.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Also had a beetle crawl down my ear. Was asleep and woke up with the thunderous noise. Actually managed to grab the back end but it just slipped through finger and thumb. It was a South African (as we call them) Christmas beetle, hard carapus and claw like thingies up it's legs. So only one way down and no way to turn back. Killed it eventually with warm oil but had to have it surgically removed.

It was HORRIBLE. the noise is indescribable as it slowly makes it way down the ear canal.

Yuck!

jane

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:51 pm 

My experience - got out of the shower, towel around my head. Just ahead of me... my worst enemy "PARKTOWN PRAWN".
Enemy or not, I decide to gently cover it with the towel on my head and throw it over the wall.
So now the towel is hanging halfway over the wall at eye level here comes the parky up back over the wall staring me in the eye, in a split second jumps onto my head.
Wet extremely long thick hair, I was flaying around like a mad women trying to get it out.
About 1min into this my brother stopped me to tell me that it had jumped off ages ago, but he thought it amusing to watch :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ummmm - what's a Parktown Prawn :?

Allan

4 Days to go :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:58 am 

Parktown prawn is the familiar term South Africans use for Libanasidus vittatus, a monotypic king cricket species found in South Africa, belonging to the Anostostomatidae family.
It is not considered a true cricket.
Adults are usually around 4 to 5 centimetres in length, with an antennae of 2 cm.
Parktown is an affluent suburb in Johannesburg, where these crickets are commonly found, hence the name.

You can find a pic here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parktown_prawn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jane! Your story is terrifying!

My worst insect experience also involves the Parktown Prawn. December 2007 and I had just moved to SA from England. I was sleepng in an outside room when I felt something brush across my face. I'm completely blind and my glasses were out of reach. All I could see were legs and I thought there was a giant spider on my face and so I started screaming. When a friend came to rescue me, I finally got my glasses on and could see the prawn. My goodness. I had no idea insects like that even existed. Everytime I go to Joburg now, I seem to meet new Parktown Prawns. :(

Coming a close second is the first time I ever lifted my ground sheet in Twee Rivieren. KTP insects are really in a class of their own...

I've also had a small bug make its way to my eardrum. That's a sound I never want to hear again.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oh I had a good laugh now of all your stories!!

When we were camping in letaba in July 2008, we had a terrible wind storm the one evening. Children camping close to us had bee playing around with a torch, shining this terribly bright light into the bushes from where a sound was coming. Clearly an Ellie grazing. WHo then became very irritated with the light and stormed up to the fench, and once reaching it turned with its side scraping on the fench and started walking away. We were off course sitting right next to the fench :big_eyes: Then some lost but hard rain drop's before the windstorm. So we had this huge Roman spider chasing my husband all over as he was trying to bring all the camping chairs out of the wind. We didnt know it was a roman spider or that they follow ones shadow, so hubby was scared!!! ( he'll never admit it though) But interstingly enough....every time he retells that storie, that spider has grown a few inches :lol:
Off course I can have a good chuckle about it......I was standing safely inside the tent, zipped up with only my head popping out for the laugh!

My worst experience however was when I was in Matric, sunbathing next to the pool on my tummy, when a cricket jumped right into my top and there it sat! I'm not the screaming type, I'll just froze and maybe even get a heartattack.... :lol: So I very calmly got up, bearly breathing, and went over to my friend...poor guy....and really calmly demanded: Take it out, just take it out!! I couldn't be bothered the least bit about where I was asking him to put his hands in... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I'm not going into details now cos it's bed time and I don't think I will sleep but I thought the worst creepy crawlies on the planet were Parktown Prawns until I met Whip Scorpians at Punda Maria. Those Roman Spiders come a close third. I have got shivers just thinking about them all.....Goodnight (I hope :pray: )

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

P.S.

Thought of another nastie although I haven't had a bad experience with them....Ground Armoured Crickets...Yikes!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I find this post extremely entertaining and enjoyed a good laugh now. When these things happen to you it's not funny but afterwards it is hilarious.

A friend of mine woke up one night (while sleeping on her back, it was very hot so she was sleeping ontop of the sheets), and had her knees bent. In the dark she could feel something crawling on her leg :shock: and very slowly reached out to switch the light on. There was an enourmous rain spider (10 cm -and growing with each time telling the story) - ON her knee :big_eyes: .

No need to say that she let out a scream, slapped it off her leg and dove out of the bed right over her husband. Not much sleep after that...