Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: A Question of (Human) Survival (OQ)
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would like to try out another idea for a quiz - not because I know so much about it, but because I so much want to learn from it.

I want to launch a quiz on Survival, Human survival, out in the bush. Small things and also mayor issues. I know a little bit, but I'm sure there's some forumites that know a lot more - especially you guys with the qualifications, certificates and such. :rtm:

I'm making it an open quiz to let people that may not know enough to ASK, also participate in ANSWERING. (Personally I also don't like Revolving quizzes too much as I don't always have the time/inclination/knowledge/patience to come up with good questions.)

How's that sound? :huh:

As a starter I'll (obviously :tongue: ) ask a question, but the problem is I only know two-thirds of the answer, and WANT to know the other. :pray: (Which is actually how the idea got into my head.)

When without water out in the bush, one can use the roots of three trees to get water. (I know one can also use bulbs, but now I'm onto the trees.) These are called "water roots".

1. What are the three? ( I know two, and really like to know the third as well.) :pray:
2. HOW is the root used?

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Last edited by bishop3006 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A Question of (Human) Survival (OQ)
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Eish!
A nice idea bishop3006 which should find quite a bit of support!

This following answers are only a guess!!!.... :huh:
lets try.. :hmz:

1) boabab
2) marula
3) a tree in a dry area, needing the water storage in dry times.... So should be on sandy soils, no acacias etc....

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jaapvandijk,

1) boabab
2) marula

Yes, those are the two I know as well. Now I need someone to tell me what the other one is? Anybody? :huh:

But what about answering the second part of the question? :rtm:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Last edited by bishop3006 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bishop3006 wrote:
But what about answering the second part of the question? :rtm:

:hmz: ............ :lol:

get the root and get a small peace and start chewing?
take the root and wring it :lol:

no i dont have the correct answer

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

How? You take about a metre long piece and hang it upside down, with a bucket underneath to catch the water.

Why upside down? Remember that the whole structure of that root is desinged to pump water up, out of the ground into the plant proper. So you hang it upside down to utilise that structure.

Interestingly, of course, is whether you would actually want to do this in a survival situation. You'll have to carefully weigh the effort, and resultant water loss, of getting that root out of the ground, against the amount of water you'll get. If I remember correctly you'll get about a cup of water from a 1 metre piece of root as thick as one's arm.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I really hope others are going to join, especially with answers, and not just reading.

Let us keep it with water.

You're still out there without water. Say in the Limpopo riverbed. It is all dried up. What do you do? Where do you find water? (And no, you don't just walk up or down until you get to a pool with water...)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bishop3006 wrote:
How? You take about a metre long piece and hang it upside down, with a bucket underneath to catch the water.

Interestingly, of course, is whether you would actually want to do this in a survival situation.

That is interesting, but i think its going to be a tought job, or you just wait for ellies to uproot the specific tree....

lets give your next question a try. :hmz:

1) dont be foolish and get out of the sun!
2) check for stands of lush vegetation along the riverbed, normally on the outside of a riverbend. lush vegetation indicates water at the surface or close to the surface.
3) quite often water will flow under the surface and elephants will come and digg it up. so look for game paths (elephant paths) leading down to a specific area along the river.
4) look for any game drinking (from the holes excavated by ellies)
5) carefully make your way over there and dig a new hole just next to an existing one. this way you will have 'clean' water through the filtration of the sand.

:huh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bishop3006 wrote:
I would like to try out another idea for a quiz - not because I know so much about it, but because I so much want to learn from it.

As a starter I'll (obviously :tongue: ) ask a question, but the problem is I only know two-thirds of the answer, and WANT to know the other. :pray: (Which is actually how the idea got into my head.)

When without water out in the bush, one can use the roots of three trees to get water. (I know one can also use bulbs, but now I'm onto the trees.) These are called "water roots".

1. What are the three? ( I know two, and really like to know the third as well.) :pray:
2. HOW is the root used?

I'm still searching for the answer to your question and would also like to know the name of the third tree we're looking for! Hope someone can help us out here! :pray:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jaap,

You're mostly correct there, but not with all, and there's still some stuff missing.

Hope some more quizzers join us? Where's the masters! Imberbe?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bishop3006 wrote:
You're mostly correct there, but not with all, and there's still some stuff missing.

Hope some more quizzers join us? Where's the masters! Imberbe?

got me puzzeld here now...

IMBERBE!!!
just some help please?!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:02 pm 

Cool Quiz, lets hope it becomes popular. :pray:

Guessing the third tree - Aloe, take the top off and turn the trunk upside down. I know it is not the root but it sounds easier than digging up roots. Plus you can use the dry branches to start a fire. :huh:

Going to start a new thread while we all think about the third tree. How do you test if a berry is poisonous? It is quite a long process. :wink:

Rangerboy

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes:

Hello?

More trees .... :hmz:

Let me think a bit ...

The question must of course be asked between possible and practical. You may spend so much time digging and sweating that the water you get is not worth the prise you pay.

Trees such as Apple leaf is a good and reliable indication of underground water, and Silver Cluster leaf can be found next to a seepage line.

I think that plants such as the Mother in laws tongue, which contains lots of water, will be more useful in a survival situation, rather than digging up tree roots.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rangerboy_Mkuze wrote:
Going to start a new thread while we all think about the third tree. How do you test if a berry is poisonous? It is quite a long process. :wink:

hi Rangerboy_Mkuze,
can we just prospond your question a bit?!?!
the fist and second question hasnt been answered fully yet......

can we put yours into the holding penn for now??

question number two was:
You're still out there without water. Say in the Limpopo riverbed. It is all dried up. What do you do? Where do you find water? (And no, you don't just walk up or down until you get to a pool with water...)

and in the mean time we think about the 3rd tree....

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:20 am 

No worries :)

Water in a river bed.... :hmz:

I know of one option.... if you have a tarp.

Dig a hole in the river bed as big as the tarp/ plastic sheeting you are using. Fill the hole with branches cut from trees (LEAVES STILL ON), then in the center of the hole put a container/ bucket/ cup/ water bottle from the Landrover you broke down in (had to be a landrover :lol: ) Over the hole place your sheeting and secure it at the corners with rocks/ rope and pegs,make sure the sheeting is slightly loose (don't pull taunt). Then in the center poke a hole and place a small rock on it to keep the center down (MAKE SURE YOUR HOLE IS ABOVE THE CONTAINER). Pack sand all around the edges of the sheeting to seal them. What will happen...

...water from the leaves will condense on the inside of the sheeting and run down to the center as it is the lowest part and drip into the container. Any rain or dew that collects on the sheet will also run to the center and drip through the hole into the container.

:thumbs_up:

I have tried this and it works well.

I have heard Elephant poo is also a good source of water, squeeze it and drink the juices :doh: it won't kill you but will probally cause emotional scarring. :naughty:

Rangerboy

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tried this before, Works very well(Im talking about the tarp, not the ele dung).......Mother in Laws Tongue, and Gemsbok Horn(Plant :twisted: ) also provides plenty water.......Almost like chewing on a raw potato.....they taste very starchy! :D

FGASA LEVEL 1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next