Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Speeding in the Parks fund raising idea
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:38 am 

Split from Speeding in the Parks

BunnyHugger wrote:
One other thing, I proposed a way to raise funds for this and after several months nothing has happened, so I have no choice but to maintain my perception as truth and no longer believe the lines they feed us.

Hi BH - not SANParks' fault that there was not a reply sooner. You spoke to us in November, and December with the holidays just got away with us - sincere apologies. I am to blame.

If you still keen to run with the idea - we will carry on looking into it :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Speeding in the Parks
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:45 am 

DinkyBird wrote:
BunnyHugger wrote:
One other thing, I proposed a way to raise funds for this and after several months nothing has happened, so I have no choice but to maintain my perception as truth and no longer believe the lines they feed us.

Hi BH - not SANParks' fault that there was not a reply sooner. You spoke to us in November, and December with the holidays just got away with us - sincere apologies. I am to blame.

If you still keen to run with the idea - we will carry on looking into it :thumbs_up:

Hiya Deebs. Let's make it happen.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: Somebody get this framed

Last edited by DinkyBird on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
quote tidied by AN ANGEL

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

hi DB and BH, what is the idea, im very confused :?

Thanks

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:52 am 

Oops, cats out the bag. Can I tell them this idea Tannie Dalene, or do you want to do it?

It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 am 

Drat - and I was going to move some posts off.... now they have to stay here forever and a day!!! {Thinking of giving RT even more delight :roll: }

BH - you may post your ideas yes.

As you guys know, any initiative takes a while to get off the ground, and nothing can be done without SANParks agreeing and approving.

But lets hear some thoughts :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 am 

The idea is this. Since there is an organised MTB ridefrom Olifants, I figured to organise a "Ride for rules" to raise funds for speed checking equipment to be used in the park.

The idea is that I organise a sponsored bicycle ride from the Pafuri gate to the Melelane Gate. The ride is planned to take about four days and the most significant part of it is that all bike will be fitted with speed monotoring equipment. The idea is to do the ride over four days and not ever exceed the speed limit (trust me it is possibleto do on a racing bike. We plan to include the likes of Malcolm Lange (the bike racer) and a few other chaps. There will be support vehicles in case of lions and other danger en route, but essentially the idea is to highlight that it is possoble to do the enire park without ever speeding, to get sponsorship and above all raise funds to get this speeding issue sorted once and for all.

There will be a limit of ten cyclists accompanied by a game ranger and support vehicle to hide on f the lions decide that we are meals on wheels.

I love the idea because it encompasses two of my passions. Cycling and wildlife conservation. If it works out, (the finer detila still to be arranged) I would love for it to becoam an annual event.

Being on a road bike, we will stick to the tar routes and if it all works out, we can arrange a MTB that will go on the sand roads in future.

Day one is 160 km odd to Shingwedzi, then day 2 to Letaba, day 3 Skukuza and finally out at Melelane gate on day 4. A total ove just over 400 odd k's.

Deebs, I suggest we split this off to another topic for the expected nuclear fallout and comments that will no doubt arise.

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject: Re: Speeding in the Parks fund raising idea
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As it is a once off and serves a good cause I would be willing to assist if needed .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

well done for coming up with such a great idea. it is by far the most proactive idea that i have heard against speeding in the park. I also believe that it will have a huge positive effect.

The main reason why I like it is because firstly it is not an initiative whose aim is an unrealistic one of stopping speeding altogether, but one which will raise awareness of speeding in the park. secondly the funds collected will be used for speed monitoring equipment. It is the only way where speeding can be curbed by the assistance of everyday people, not connected to SANparks.

Im sure that there are many, many people who will be interested in sponsorships and above all the donations from the forums as everybody is passionate about the issue.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It’s a great idea. However it will have to be done over a long weekend or S.A school holiday period. This way the message will really be carried over.

:clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I think it is a great idea.

There is one reservation though. People have recently been taken to task because for not wearing seat belts in the parks, (clearly intended to save lives while traveling at speed and impractical for photography), as it breaks the general road law. Cycling will break Kruger law.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:11 pm 

BB, then the Mountain bike thing they run at Olifants is in contravention to the rules of KNP. To be honest, I have then contavened the law in KNP many times as I never wear my seatbelt in KNP. I'll obviously have to go and think about that one.

Then there are some very serious logistics to think about. How many support vehicles and how many Rangers to accompany the procession. Timing is another issue. The original idea had nothing to do with visibility so much as getting sponsorship to raise funds for a highly emotive issue and IMNAAHO, an important idea to empower SANPARKS to tackle the issue of speeding and removing the most important issue of finance.

To have mobile random checking, it requires a body to sit behind a radar gun or speed camera. This body is mostly out of his / her vehicle. In itself a contavention of the rules. Same can be said for the guys who repair the roads. It is a simple plan of getting SANPARKS buy-in and getting a special dispensation to contravene the rule of being in the park in an exposed manner. (That of not being insode a motor vehicle.) Hey, it's already being done.

It will certainly attract attention. Probably cause some whiplash as well. Imagine someloon driving in the opposite direction and only seeing us when he is right there. Certainly going to whip his / her head around to see if they saw right the first time.

The whole idea cannot happen without SANPARKS buy-in and support. WE will obviously have to have some banners and I think one of those big visible things on the car roof that shows our speed as opposed to the time. I think a banner that says "Our speed is (whatever thecurent speed is)" What's yours?"

Education is the best way to curb speeding and fining the hooglians is just a kneejerk reaction. If the money is used to put technology into delivery vehicles to keep their speed under control while in the park, that's a giant leap in the right direction.

Anything needs to be done as long as something is done. Static speed cameras is a start. It's just not a big enough step in my mind as it will only control speed at one or two predetermned static points (notably whereever the cameras are.)

So, let's hear your ideas on how this will be effective. I like the idea of it being more visible because that will have a big impact.

Do we have big celebs on the drive or do we "sell" places in the ride to big corp execs for big bucks to give it a real kick start?

All I know is I want to do this for two reasons A) Awareness and B) it would be the most excellent thing to have the wind in my helmet and the tyres under my saddle and see the reserve from a different angle. C), it is absolutely imperative that no-one in the group breaks any law except that of being on a bike. I think fines to be imposed for those who do break any rule and I think TV coverage would be great to give the project as much publicity as possible. So the benefits are money for SANPARKS, publicity for SANPARKS and education of the public at large.

What better way to achieve these objectives?

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:clap: Great idea! All too often we talk about the bad without offering a solution, and this is a solution. (Awareness + fundraising for a greater good)

If this comes to pass, would those of us who couldn't participate have a way to contribute?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You got my support. :thumbs_up: Willing to give up my time & Landy as backup vehicle, support etc. Just name it as it is a brilliant idea.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sounds like a great idea BH -- IF SanP will allow it :clap: :clap:

You need a car in front (like they do on the big bike races or when moving abnormal load vehicles) with a large board on it stating ... whatever ... and the bikes all following, backed up by a ranger (or 2) in a large enough vehicle to get you all out of trouble with ellies and other less friendly inhabitants :lol:

How will you cope with Kruger thorns ? :shock: :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next