Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Stupid things you have done in the Park.
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:28 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
One of the stupidest things I have done was in March 2005. I camped alone in Pkop, sleeping in my car, but this was not as stupid as what preceeded the sleeping part. I had a flat cellphone battery and wanted to charge it. Only snag was that the 2-point plug I had with me did not fit into the blue adapter.

So out came the Macgyver swiss knife and I started sawing the blue hell out of that adapter to make the 2point plug fit. Eventually managed to get my cell charged.

Got home 3 days later and my wife asked me what the heck happened to the adapter. I told her with a chest pushed out of pride of my clever Macgyver/A-team conversion, whilst holding the adapter in my hands. Then it hit me like a brick covered with some dagha mix for maximum effect or was it a sausage dropping from the Sausagetree? The top part could just slide off. Hehe, plunk! Even I had to laugh about it.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

What about the time you forgot your walking boots, WTM?

Boy is this thread going to be filled by .....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:53 pm 

Or when you got lost to the Park

Checked the water for the vehicle ... never replaced the cap ... wondered why the vehicle was getting hotter than normal ... decided to stop at the next get out point to only find the radiator cap not where it was supposed to be

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:48 pm 

Or when you forgot the roof part of your tent at home.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Leave to fly back to the chilly hemisphere! is definitely the stupidest thing I've ever done. Stupidester is I'll be doing it again and again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have a book with all the things to take not only to the park but camping holidays, helps to not forget things, but yes, I still forget to put things in even if in the book. This book has done the rounds.
I get completely lost at night in some of the camping grounds, sense of direction is useless in the dark - so we always try and camp within close proximity of an ablution block - at least there lights on there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

At Shingwedzi trying to take a pic of a hyena lying on the other side of the fence, sticking arm over the fence and touching the live wire? Stupid enough? Other campers tactfully tried not to laugh out loud, SO screamed with laughter!

EDIT: Don't try it, the wire really is live!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:44 am 

At Pretoriuskop taking the step from the stoep at the bungelow with my camera ready to follow the woodland kingfisher
While doing the landing holding my camera in the air, cause the stoep was higher than a thought. Much higher

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:51 pm 

Just a couple of embarrassing moments for me in my many visits to Kruger and most of them involve foreign visitors...

Was driving on a dirt road in the Lower Sabie region (can't remember which one) and came across a lions sighting. Thousands of cars of course. A big 4x4 came alongside the window and the driver asked me and my cousin in a thick accent what we were looking at. Told them lions, lying down in the bush (imagine the accompanying hand gestures...) At first they couldn't (or wouldn't) understand and the gestures became more and more wild. Then this voice comes from the back of the vehicle "Moenie worry nie, ons het hulle al lankal gesien" (Don't worry, we saw them a long time ago)

I know the 4x4 and the Castles should have given a hint, but still, me and the cousin were soooooo embarrassed that we had red faces the rest of the trip!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Chicken is the worst. I no longer eat chicken which may have been reheated from any food outlet.
My stupidest action was to forget to unpack the beer from the fridge while on the move. Arrived at the next camp longing for the obligatory sundowners and ... no beer or wine.
It was in the days before the more tourist friendly shop hours.
I have also repeatedly arrived without a wine opener. At least then you can make friends with a helpful neighbour.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

arrived at Numbi Gate after travelling from Margate, remembered everything including the kitchen sink!! forgot my reservation confirmation at home.... we were staying at 5 camps over 2 weeks ...what a rigmarole...PLUS... it was the holiday that we got stuck in the floods and had to reroute our complete trip due to the fact that lower sabie was under water........ very confusing when trying to book in to the camps and remember what days we were staying where.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:24 pm 

On one of our camping trips, they asked me to unplugged the power cables from the box. I went and plugged out....next camp they ask me where the blue caravan plugg is? I left it in the box....didn't know you need to plugg the whole thing out with plugg....Cost them R75.00 for new caravan plugg.....As expected I was not the fav. person for the day...... Heard the whole day how you can not trust a female to work with power cables.....?????

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
There are so many things that you should not believe what a trails ranger tells you.

Here are the top 10.

1. We only need to cross that hill still and then we'll be done with the walk.
2. You never get babelas on a trail, no matter how much you drink.
3. We saw the big 5 on the previous trail.
4. Right here we saw the leopard with cubs taking out a hippo.
5. Saw a Pel's on the bushman trail 2 weeks ago.
6. Sure you can eat it, go ahead.
7. It was the cook. (After runnning like hell to your a-frame after a lion roared closeby)
8. We don't put speakers in the veld to imitate lion roars.
9. No, it wasn't that hill, it is that one.
10. Hangover? Oh well, that is the first case I have seen on a trail in 7 years.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Stupidest thing that some people have asked in the Park was while we were busy packing our camoing gear back into WTV's little polo playa. Some were sitting in their camping chairs having popcorn and a cold beer while watching us and waiting to see how, they have hoped, we would battle. One couple came by and the one asked the other: "How are they going to get all that back into that small car?"

Well, let me see... basically the same way we got it all in and over here in the first place! Goofballs!!
15min later and on our way we were.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Letting SO go for a drive on his own - he saw 3 cheetah

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next