Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:22 pm 

Was in Silvermine today with a group of Hoerikwaggo trainee guides on an excercise when I got a phone call from my employer to say that a mugging had taken place there and to be careful. Near the end of our hike along the ridge we did notice that the car ark at the dam was almost empty and that there were several rangers with dogs patrolling around. At our destination, the tented camp, the guy working there confirmed that there had been a mugging, someone stabbed and muggers caught! On the radio on the way home, nothing. Anybody know any more?

Post subject: Silvermine Attack
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:26 pm 

Hi Alex

There was an attack up there. I picked it up on Cape Talk 567 at about 18h00 or so. I heard that two guys attacked 3 tourists and their guide (wonder who this was?). A knife was mentioned but not that anyone had been stabbed - or caught for that matter.

Its been pretty quiet of late - mainly due to bad weather. We saw this last year as well. As soon as a good day dawns the muggers come out. This is an area that has not seen an attack for a very long time....perhaps a year or more. Most of the hot-spots have been around Skeleton and the Rhodes Mem, Blockhouse and around towards Lions Head. But people need to be careful where ever they are.

So, its happened again - and will happen again. Please folks be careful - be aware. Start developing what we call "recognition skills". You can spot these people if you know what to look for and if you keep an eye on people approaching you. No-one can "just appear" or "come from nowhere". Not possible. Be aware and have a plan.

Stay safe!!!!

Andre

Post subject: Security Rangers on Lions Head
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 pm 

Hi Alex - while I'm on the topic of security, I did pass on your observations regarding the security rangers you encountered on Lions Head - back in February (and the cave spot). I've received no response at all. Sorry about that.

Regards

Andre

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The local morning newspaper reported the attack.

It did not mention arrests.

It said that this was an area not previously targeted, which is worrying.

Time for the trojan horse.......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 pm 

Hi,

Hope you can help. I used to go on the contour path from Kloof Nek to Kirstenbosch on Sunday afternoons. Is this path still safe? It is just my husband and I walking.

What other routes would you regards as being safe?

I would appreciate your input. I can't seem to get an answer from anyone else.

Regards,
Liora

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Weekends seem to be safer than midweeks.

Unfortunately these thugs can strike anytime anywhere. Someone needs to be prepared to take them on. Maybe a 'little old lady' in drag......

Post subject: Re: Table Mountain - Safety and Security
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am 

Don't know if this is exactly the right place to post this but it does concern the safety and security of the Table Mountain National Park.'There have been a spate of attacks and robberies on householders and homes in Tokai and surrounding area bordering the SAN Park. The attackers gain access from the forest, often with a vehicle or on foot, and have no shame about arriving with crowbars, sledgehammers etc. There appears to be no access control or security whatsoever except that the forester refuses to allow any security companies to patrol the border and sandtrack.
A family member was attacked in her home last week by persons who drove up the sandtrack and accessed from there. It is obvious that her home had been watched from the tree line. Today walking in the forest she came across a man who suddenly vanished - he had gone up a tree, and when confronted claimed he was waiting for a friend - sure. Clearly he was watching the houses.
The point is that if SAN parks cannot secure their borders they must allow security companies access to do their work for them, but their ongoing refusal to allow access is placing the public at risk. Essentially I hooe they are ready to be held accountable by the public for allowing this public danger to exist whilst refuisng to allow anyone to solve the problem. It is time questions were publically asked about this as it is not acceptable for SAN parks to place its neighbours at risk. :huh:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Security boost for tourists and hikers on Table Mountain

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Good initiative Bert.

I hope they also teach the guides how to communicate in English, instead of being just glorified security guards.

Will be interesting to see if the muggings stop on those 5 trails - and increase elsewhere.

Where is the trojan horse........

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:

When a Media release is publicised it would be nice to see a date on it!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
This article appeared in the local papers this week.

Post subject: Re: Silvermine Attack
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:21 pm 

TM SAG wrote:
Hi Alex
<snip>
Please folks be careful - be aware. Start developing what we call "recognition skills". You can spot these people if you know what to look for and if you keep an eye on people approaching you. No-one can "just appear" or "come from nowhere". Not possible. Be aware and have a plan.

Stay safe!!!!

Andre

Interesting, or rather, very relevant topic. I have two questions:

1. I know I should be aware. But what do I do when when I encounter suspicious people? What sort of plan can one have?

Two of us were attacked in the Drakensberg in 1987 - my friend was killed (it was well publicised at the time), so I am particularly jittery about walking in the mountains. At this stage I try and walk in large groups and have pepper spray in my bag (although not in my hand). Any other ideas about what one can do? Becoming an expert in martial arts or a master shot is not on my list of things I want to do.

In the Silvermine incident mentioned in this thread there were 4 people in the hiking party - normally considered enough to discourage muggers - the fact that they were mugged despite the size of the group is disconcerting.

2. According to posts on this forum and comments by fellow geocachers, there seems to be people inhabiting Woodstock cave. Why don't the authorities do anything about this?

Thanks for starting this very relevant topic.

Edited to add: I'm feeling bit bad about the potentially belligerent tone of my post (point #1). Your advice TM SAG is very sound and can't be faulted. I was just wondering what does one do when you are walking somewhere on the mountain and you see supicious persons? It seems as if there is nothing you can do except carry on walking and hope for the best. Perhaps phone? The only real deterrent must be to be in a large group, hopefully with some people who look as if they can fend for themselves. Pepper spray and dogs can also help. The gun option is not for me and probably not for many other nature lovers either. Just wondering if there are other things one can do to make the experience safer.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 am 

Hummer vehicle

Quote:
The vehicle will be used by iKapa Honorary Rangers as a highly visible patrol vehicle throughout the park including Signal Hill and Lions Head and Tafelberg Rd in the North. The vehicle will also be used in the south patrolling the road from Boulders through to Partridge point and into the Cape Point section of the park including Buffelsbay, Olifantsbos and Cape of Good Hope. Other areas to be covered will include Scarborough and Noordhoek beach car park.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 am 

Hi there!

I'm from Singapore and will be visiting Capetown in late January 09.

Would appreciate your advise. My sister and I are intending to do the Cape of Good Hope overnight hike on our own.

What is the safety record for the Cape of Good Hope trail like? A lot of the information in the previous posts relates to the Table Mountain hoerikwaggo trails itself I think..

Are there any affordable guides for the Cape of Good Hope trail? At nearly R2000 per person for some of the guided walking tour packages I've seen online, it's a bit expensive for me.

Or are there any arrangements for joining other walkers on the trail?

We're really looking forward to doing the trail - your advise would be much appreciated :) Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
arghfiza, the info you seek is available on this website under PARKS a-z, and TM nat park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next