Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Park entry points
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:36 pm 

Can you enter the park at any gate, for example the one shown near Kirkwood, or do you have to come in by the Main Camp? Thank you

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hi incomer - welcome to the forums!

Depending on which part of Addo you wish to visit - you can enter the appropriate gate.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Park entry points
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

incomer wrote:
Can you enter the park at any gate, for example the one shown near Kirkwood, or do you have to come in by the Main Camp? Thank you

Welcome incomer to the forum. Megan should perhaps help us here with the facts. Which part of Addo do you want to visit? That might help to get you a better answer.

Post subject: gate closing times
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:39 pm 

My husband and I are staying in safari tents for two nights in February. On one of the days we are there we had planned to do a day game reserve drive at Amakhala Game reserve.

However it seems that the day trip will finish after the gate closing time.

Is the gate closing time only for day trippers into Addo or for people who are staying there too?

Rebecca

Post subject: Re: gate closing times
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:14 pm 

Hi Rebecca, the main gate is manned 24 hours, so you will be able to return after 7pm.

Why go to another reserve for a game drive? :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:03 pm 

Thank you,

That's really usefull to know, as need to prebook and pay for this drive.

We are planning to do game drives in Addo too, just wanted to experience both reserves.

Rebecca

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:21 pm 

addo is one of the best parks. i certainly would not leave the park if i got the chance of staying there for any period of time. :naughty:

I say 'no bail to poachers', name and shame them, even at a sniff of suspicion. Lets get rid of them quickly

Post subject: gate times
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:01 am 

Getting in at South Gate in Winter when the light is OK at 07h15 after the drive from Colchester...just to be able to ease down the hill cat hunting. O7h15 in Summer is of course 90-120 minutes too late...maybe sometime Addo could align itself with Kruger and let in Day visitors at 05h30 like Kruger in Summer...A most welcome aspect if it happenned

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Re: Best Thing to Do in Addo
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:42 am 

We don't really have one best thing to do - mainly just to be there is enough-Number 5 safari tent with its view over the park is one of our favourites. Addo seems to produce something different every time when you least expect it. (but they do make a delicious saucy chicken burger in the restaurant!) I agree Peter, unfortunately the best times of the day are lost to Addo visitors unless you do the organised morning drive which I am assuming they do have though I don't know what time it leaves? The opening times are really too late in the summer - when I enquired before I think the reply was that the staff did not stay on the premises and had to travel in from elsewhere so could not get there that early?? - not sure.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:21 pm 

Peter, I support you with the enter time. Why must we wait until the office open to enter the game viewing area. Surely there is solution to this problem.

Megan, can you please answer us.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:11 am 

Carolynn...some of the staff told me that they live at Colchester itself ...1km away...the manager lives at Matholweni itself...half a km away...no I think its more of a Union thing ...very strong in the E Cape. It does not matter how far you live from work..my nearest work is 63 km 1 way. They manage perfectly getting there at 07h00. The guards at South Gate manage perfectly getting to the guard house @ 06h00. But this is a tourist facility and must align itself with SANParks facilities elsewhere like world class Tourist Kruger. Addo is also very much a world class tourist facility and tourism is about service...if staff dont want to open @ 05h30...get staff that do its that simple. I was fobbed off with the story that the sun gets up earlier in Kruger as it is further East than Addo...but my Geography teacher told me at school that the further south you are the earlier the sun gets up in summer (Vice versa in winter)
so that cancels that theory out one time. Second prize if permanent staff cant be found is to use HR's 05h30 t0 07h00...thats what they are for ...serve SANParks...but thats not practical as many of them are workers in PE etc...no there are plenty of hardworking unemployed people out there who will make a plan to get there @ 05h25 to open up if given a wonderful opportunity of having a job.
Carolynn to go on a early morning game drive you have to be resident i am led to believe at camp or wait until 07h00 as usual for a hot mid morning drive (great for ellies though). Also those vehicles are too high for me at the back and photographs are from top down when it is far better to be low aspect. Also I dont think the driver/guide and other guests would enjoy my style of waiting 40 mins for the right moment to fire the camera. Game drives are not for the individual...its a group activity with lots of give and take...bird watchers vs photographers vs Big 5 hunters etc etc. All I want is the normal 05h30 entry at Colchester

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:16 pm 

I totally agree with you Peter- Addo needs to step it up in the gate opening times department. What can one do??
Found this previous enquiry about gate times and Megan's response. (Don't know how to do the "quote" thing, so just copy and paste - sorry)

Bushman Post subject: Addo: ADVICEPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth I find it strange that the gate times at Addo Elephant Park in summer is from 06h00 to 18h30. We all know that the best time to view game is at sun rise and towards sun set, late afternoon. With the sun rising in the Eastern Cape in summer just after 05h00 and setting close to 19h30 it is obvious that the gates are closed when game viewing is at its best. It is even worse when you are a day visitor as the entrance gate only opens at 07h00.

I feel strongly that the general public should be afforded the best possible opportunity to enjoy what the park has to offer.

Addo Elephant Post subject: Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:57 pm
Guru
Posts: 423 The main reason why the gate times are as is in the summer months is that this is our busiest time in the park. At any time between 06h00 and 18h30, there may be between 100 and 200 vehicles in the main game area. The extra daylight time before and after gate opening hours allows the wildlife in the park some quiet and undisturbed time.
Another reason is that we often have to deal with visitors who do not leave the game area by closing time or have some kind of vehicle break down. The extra daylight time allows the rangers to locate and help these visitors.
It is also our experience that when visitors exit the game area after an afternoon/evening drive, they wish to purchase supplies for the night from the shop. The shop opening hours are only until 19h00, as it is not feasible for them to open later.
The vegetation in the main game area is quite thick and experience has shown that the best elephant viewing is often at waterholes during the middle of day.
Although day visitors can only enter the park after 07h00, this allows the overnight visitors some privileges and advantage over day visitors.
Megan Bradfield
Addo Elephant National Park.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:19 pm 

Got so involved with looking for this previous query that I see I am now way off topic - sorry! Maybe someone can move this to the appropriate place?

Post subject: Re: gate times
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:12 pm 
Guru
Guru

I know this issue with gate times is one that is close to the hearts of many of the regular visitors and I understand the reasons why you ask for changes.

At present, it is a staffing and budget issue. To open gates earlier and close later means a whole new staff or security guard complement would need to be employed as well as the fact that the right type of people need to be employed. There are all sorts of labour issues pertaining to working hours and times that come into play. Then there is the issue of financial viability. We would need to justify these extra expenses with equal returns on entrance fees. It would not be financially viable to open gates early/late if an extra one or two visitors visited because of this.

Post subject: Re: gate times
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:25 pm 

Surely Sanparks do not measure every move they make in Rands.

On the other hand I know that longer hours can cause some labour problems.

For me as a normal day visitor it is very frustrating to wait untill 7 AM to enter the park. Surely it won't be to difficult to arrange entry at 6 and payment on exit or payment at the game viewing entry gate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next