Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Tips on where/how to spot wildlife.
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:59 pm 

Hi all. Leaving for Kruger! I'm visiting both North and South parts. As it will be the second time there, I'm very eager to see animals I didn't see first time - for example, cheetah and wild dog. Anyone can suggest me the best areas where to look for them? I know it's quite difficult, but who knows... :-)

thanks a lot!
Stefano, Italy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good luck, hope you see them. Wild dog are normally seen in the south and cheetah, all over if you are lucky.
Enjoy your trip

Post subject: Cheetah and Wildog
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:40 pm 

We have seen Cheetah on the S28 right down in the South and again on the same road but further north near the top, a lovely sighting, perfectly posing on a fallen tree.
Wild dog up near H1-1, but a couple of years ago now, regrettably not recently.
But as always drive slowly and keep your eyes peeled is the name of the game, they can be almost anywhere.....the right place at the right time.
Good luck and happy viewing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi,
Cheetah and Wild Dog, like Leopards, are all about the right place at the right time and heaps of luck. We saw Cheetah on road from Lower Sabie to Tshokwane, the one that runs parrallel to Muntshe mountain. No luck with Wild Dogs, yet, but there were some seen near Croc Bridge and Melelane in June.
It seems they are most often seen right up north and right down south - places were lions are not that numerous. I've been told that the Bume road has produced many wild dog sightings, but in June the road was burnt badly, I dont think it would have recovered too much yet.
Travel as much as possible and as slowly as you can - thats the best advice I can give.

Good Luck, let us know how it turned out

bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

1994 near Letaba
2000 Between Lower Sabie and Skukuze iirc ;-)
My only sightings of WD & Ch in KNP :cry:

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
WOW!!! :big_eyes: and what a wild dog sighting that was!!!

Nice one Tod

Yes, our Guide (i think ex-KNP-Ranger) said it is not usual. He thought 2 or 3 prides worked together for a big prey(?). It was an unbelievable day for me.
Buff, Ellies, Lions, Rhinosw and lot of "normal" game. We came back to the Camps Gate on the last minute. He was an honorary Ranger, so it wasn't good for him to be late. But luckily we where at the camp at the last minute. :lol:

Edit: And Sable on this day! ;-)

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:27 pm 

Hi Stefano

Based on my trips to KNP over the last 4 years.

We have seen lots of wild dog in the vicinity of Skukuza camp -on road to Kruger gate, near Steven Hamilton Memorial on S114, on H4-1 to Lower Sabie....Also near Crocodile Bridge on the S108

Our cheetah sightings have all been in the Satara area...specifically H7 to Orpen, & Girivani dam loop.

Good luck on finding those elusive ones !!!

Post subject: wild dog sightings
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:09 pm 
:lol: How was this for luck.
Three wild dog sightings in December 2004 within three days. Ten minutes after entering the park at Malelane we saw rhino, elephant and then wild dog on the S25. Next day a wild dog kill at Olifants on the H8. The last sighting of our trip was wild dog at the Sable dam near Phalaborwa gate.

No cheetah on that trip unfortunately.

Will try again in Septamber.

Joao

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:13 pm 

Best road in my experience for cheetah and wonderful scenery has to be Lower Sabie to Tshokwane the H10 I believe. If you choose this route look out for large herds of elephant and patrolling Lions make sure that you check out the viewpoint approx 15 kms from Tshokwane, Spectacular!!!!
Wild Dog - all roads around Skukuza to Lower Sabie are your best bet
8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:21 pm 

we have seen a lot of wild dog on the road from berg en dal to Skukuza , the S25 at Croc bridge , near Numbi gate
cheetah last sighting was also on the S25 entrance where 6 cheetahs were together. 2 males, mother with 3 cubs. Were quite far but could see them, on the same day there was a cheetah sighting of 2 males eating near skukuza.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:31 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I've been lucky with cheetah on the H5 and S114, found this one on two different trips, second time he was lying in the burnt veld:-

A tip is to check the top of the signposts to see if it being used as a toilet and if so keep your eyes peeled for the culprit. :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
callieh wrote:
Hate to annoy you wildtuinman, but we saw a lone wilddog chasing a kudu near Punda Maria (3 kmfrom camp). he had no luck though, and came running back a few minutes later "empty mouthed". But maybe this was the last wilddog in the park... Agree with you on the cheetah though - extinct...

and why can't I get my qoute box thingie right ??

Your qoute thingie seems to be working just fine.
:lol:
Yip Callieh, I saw cheetah again for the first time in 6 years in Kruger. I have to add. The last time I saw WD was probably the best memoribale one I have ever had. I was about to play golf at Skukuza CC. I stopped at Lake Panic to watch the sunrise. WTV and WTD was sleeping in the tent in Skukuza.

I had set up my camera when I saw an Impala ewe running towards the water like Habana cruising down the sideline. The dam was almost bone-dry. May 2003. Hot on her heels were 5 WD gaving chase. the impala leaped across the water there was to safety. The dogs were circling for about 2mins and then head back towards where they came from. I was the only one to witness this and got it all on tape.

I wiil forgive mother nature for not showing me WD for say the next year just because of this sighting she spoiled me with.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Seyms and welcome to the forum!

Keep going to those places. We can give you advise today at where they were seen, but it doesn't matter. Tomorrow they won't be there anymore.

Best advice, keep going to the park and visiting those hotspots, and drive slower. You probably passed many a cheetah and other great game before :D Just like the rest of us :wink:

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject: Best Camps for Animals
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lets get an opinion going here

What is the best camp for game viewing (mammals)?
The best camp for birding?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:53 pm 

Mammals - Satara
Birding - Punda Maria

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next