Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is what they call a BULL SABLE BULL -magnificent.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have this clear recollection from not that many years ago of woodfire fuelled donkeys (geysers / water boilers) in the tourist camps , cameradie around the communal braaifires ....

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes we will have a new generation,.How sad that they may not be able to experience what Stevenson Hamilton , Wolhuter ,Sandenbergh,Steyn, Brynard,Pienaar Joubert, Orpen , Knobel ,Eloff Monnig, Ortlepp, Bigalke, Rowland Jones and a few others envisaged.

Last edited by gmlsmit on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What really is a pity concerning old KNP stories and their continuation is that apparently field rangers and guides have to have a minimum matric or equivalent qualification , and bearing in mind that the older field staff have knowledge from years of experience in the wilds , the current field staff and guides have mostly grown up in civilisation and do not have the "repertoire" of experiences to pass on that the older fellows were able to pass on from generation to generation and to wilderness lovers .
Yes , the memories of the "wild Kruger" will soon be forever gone .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:clap: Very well said Rusky....agree 100%

There are so many posts and threads about the "good old days" when everyone respected one another, waved etc...All the rose tinted stuff of yesteryear....(I agree, much of that is true)...But surely then....if we can still remember them, then we should make it our business to continue those traditions, its the only way they'll catch on...not to everyone, but to the true lovers of the bush. Take Rusky for example.....a brand new visitor....he and his family have only been once, in 2008...yet he values the courteous traditions that so many of us think are dying out....in contrast there are no doubt people living on KNP's doorstep, in Nelspruit for example, who have been a number of times but could'nt care less.

Wave, even if you don't get a wave back.

Point out sightings, even if others don't point them out to you.

I so appreciate the MANY times that other visitors have shown us something....whether it's a Scops Owl in camp, or a Leopard in the shade 300m from Orpen Gate - we had missed it and were leaving the Park and had not seen Leopard that trip, friendly visitors at the fuel station told us where to look........... the year ...2002! -

The excitement and joy on the faces of people we have helped see something is as rewarding as the sighting itself.

Granted, there has been the rare occasion that we have chosen not to waste our energy on inconsiderate people..they usually move on rather quickly anyway.

Rusky's sentiments are absolutely true....the KNP is a gift. I would add.... it is NOT OURS, it belongs to NOBODY....we are merely blessed to live in close proximity to it and that makes us CUSTODIANS - It is a gift to the world....

Each one of us who loves the Park should make a special effort to teach newcomers the old ways....simply by sharing them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As an old timer who has been going there since the rose tinted times , I still ,even today wave at passers by in KRUGER and it is amazing how often long faces light up and then they return the greeting.No true nature lover will upset other rule abiding visitors.We also do not mind indicating sightings as we have "Bush Eyes " and realise that not everyone has.Visitors from overseas are very welcome to a share of something sacred to us.We all realise that they do not have the privilege we have.What true nature lovers want to share is all of KRUGER as it is, not only the BIG 5 . March 2008 my wife and myself were staying in Shingwedzi , while washing dishes a young man pitched up and asked whether the water was safe to drink.We confirmed . It then transpired that him and his young wife were Canadians backpacking They started in Cape Town , to the Garden Route , to Zimbabwe , to Zambia , to Malawi , to Tanzania through Mozambique to Nelspruit ( all in taxis and crowded buses )where they bought some camping gear , hired a car and travelled through KRUGER , We chatted for quite a while and it was wonderful to us hearing the appreciation they had for this beautiful place called KRUGER.

Post subject: Old kruger stories
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:37 pm 

Can anybody still remember, or even better, still have some of those excellent black and white postcards of the Kruger from the late 50's early 60's .The photo's were taken by Dick Wolff ?
Groetnis.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:16 am 

Can anyone remember camping in the Kruger in the 1950's and 60's where you would be woken up @ about 04h00 by staff shovelling coal into the stoves etc to heat the water in the bathrooms and kitchen units...I can still hear that in my mind...nowadays its all electric geysers and gas etc...miss it for sure

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Re: Old Kruger park Stories
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:47 am 

Wow, Just stumbled upon this forum and boy has it brought back some good memories.

I visited the Kruger in 85 and stopped at Skukuza and a couple more in my stay (was there a elephants or Oliphants camp?).

Out of all my memories of staying in South Africa the stay at the park ranks among the best and I have some great memories of SA. I remember traveling up there from Pretoria and staying in Nelspruit along the way and visiting a very old colonial town still like it was a 100 or so years ago, maybe older, I forget the name.

We would be up before dawn and be 1st at the gates waiting to get out as we had been told that the first car sees the lions on the road because the roads would hold the heat for them to laze about on (how true this is I dont know), but we did see our fair share of wildlife.

I remember being blown away by the whole experience.

One of the camps looked down on either the Crocadile or Limpopo river, we heard and saw the dense vegetation moving around and cracking before we saw the grey of the Elephants, Mozambique was just over the river.

At night I would light a braai and have a few beers with my Dad. One night one of the camps staff came charging over in our direction, I didnt know why at first untill he was only yards away, He was carrying a big stick and waving it above his head and shouting.
He was chasing the big Baboon away that was a few feet away from us, rummaging in the bin next to our rondavel.

Another time out on the road we came across a pride of lions and must have been very close, I remember thinking "that thing could easily put its paws straight through that windscreen if it wants to", it was huge and my Dad in his wisdom thought it would be a good idea to stop and take pictures with the window down slightly.
The Male made some very low rumbles that would send shivers down anyones spine, I remember urging my Dad to back up quickly.

Id love to go back one day but I suspect it wont be the same.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 pm 

ImageLarge

I’m new to this posting of topics but lets try this again. This is a pic of the tree with the tap in Shingwedzi 1987

Last edited by Elsa on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pic resized.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:33 pm 

I must say that I still find most people very friendly in the park, it's like this invisible force field that comes over you when you first drive through the gates that takes all the stress away and lets all the ways of the Kruger in..

My funny story goes like this.. It must have been the late 70s, all sitting the combi bus in the shade on one of the little loops on Shingwedsi. There were two or so Kudu in the shades of the ditch and vervit monkey in the trees. A car pulls up behind us full to the brim with chinese tourist. No problem to them, as they can't seem to see what we are looking at, all get out of the car camera in hand. "what you look?" My dad says Kudu.. before he finishes his sentence.. one of them shout out pointing at the tree " Look at the Coo dooo" :lol: :lol: pointing directly at the monkey's in no time are all shouting look at the kuku pointing at the tree with my dad frantically trying to show them the kudu in the ditch. Then as quickly as they arrived they were gone. Leaving us kid in absolute histerics over the situation. When we see vervits now we'll still say "look at the Kooo dooo" :D :lol:

Post subject: Your Earliest Memories of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yesterday my mom was sorting out some of her cupboards and came across a few videos from some of our kruger holidays when i was still a baby and a few years old. We all had great fun watching them and it got me thinking about what my earliest memories of kruger are , and also thinking about what has changed in Kruger during my short life.

So i decided to start this topic, as a place where all forumites can share their earliest memories of kruger , or relive some of their most cherished memories from their childhood :D

I have many, many memories from my childhood in kruger because we visited atleast two or three times a year, a week at a time. During those days we mainly went to central and north kruger and my earliest memories of the park mostly come from shingwedzi :dance: and letaba. I can remember running around the ''desert'' area inbetween the rondawels at shingwedzi for hours in the afternoon, watching squirrels and chasing them :redface: :naughty: I remember it feeling soooo big as if it never ended, which when i go there nowadays seems so small.

I have lots of very special memories especially from sightings as well.

Looking forward to reading other forumites earliest memories :wink:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post subject: Re: Your Earliest Memories of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
My earliest memories were in the 50's
It was my first trip away from the folks and it was a school trip.
Girls in one bus and boys in the other.
Apart from a puncture where the bus landed up in a ditch and myself putting my pinkie into the fan on the bus ceiling ( just a bit of blood and a large plaster ) the trip to Kruger was uneventful.
We, the girls stayed in tents at Malelane and the boys at Skukuza.
It was magic..
That bushveld smell, the night noises and the glow and smell of the lamps.
I was hooked.
First sighting of a lion was in the river bed and I still to this day look in every river bed for that lion.
The food , Well those days the "shop" had very limited supplies, so I spent my pocket money on a large bottle of mixed pickles, marie biscuits, sardines and condensed milk.
This was definitely mid night feast stuff....It was a good thing the normal meals were the best I have ever tasted.
The trip lasted a whole week and it wasn't until my honeymoon that I could visit again.
NOW I need a fix at least once a year.

Elizabeth , The SO is Hugh

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Elizabeth :clap: :clap: i really enjoy hearing these kind of stories , especially becasue they are from the early days of kruger. I think i would have loved to be in kruger in those times. :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wow thats going back alomg time!
I had just turned 3 (1960) and my parents and their close friends did a 10 day trip from Punda to Skukuza and the to the then LM for a week at the sea.
I can remember one night at Punda crying in bed because we could hear a lion roaring.
I was terrified and sure that he was going to eat me.
At Shingwedzi I ran away from my mom and took refuge in the mens showers to avoid being bathed - my mom stood helpless outside for some time, calling and promising me all sorts of nice things.
Everyone thought it was funny but I couldn't understand why.
At one camp we stayed in tents (but cant remember its name).
After that we went to Kruger every year during the winter holidays.
Now with the kids grown up my husband and I go to Kruger about 5 or 6 times a year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next