Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mapungubwe: Vhembe Wilderness Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:38 am 

I believe it is possible to stay in the trails camp even if not going on a trail. Is it only available to 4X4's or can any vehicle go there? Also is there a fridge available as well as plug points for chargers etc? If anyone has photos of the camp and accomodation I would like to see them in order to help us decide where to stay. We have stayed at Leokwe before but Vhembe sounds really wild and peacefull.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:50 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Check this topic for some information and photos.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Vhembe Trails Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Vhembe is awesome! The road there is quite bumpy, but I have seen people driving there in as little a car as a Toyota Yaris. The camp has a big gas fridge. Lights are solar powered and there are no plug points available, but I am sure you can put your stuff on charge at the main gate if you ask nicely. :wink:

Will see if I've got some pics later. Vhembe rocks and if you have already stayed in Leokwe, I would definately advise you to try Vhembe out. It's quiet, remote and wild.

Post subject: Vhembe
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:23 am 

Thanks for info, photos would be appreciated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:09 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Copy, switch window, and Paste!
Posted by Ndloti:

Yes naomi c , Vhembe Wilderness camp .
individually and did not have to be officially on trail . I changed my accomodation from the main camp on arrival at the gate on discovering I could get accomodation at Vhembe .
Two of us spent 7 peacefull days there , with the camp to ourselves . We did self drives as well as the Kanniedood 4 x 4 route , a morning walk , a night drive and a guided trip with a short game drive to the Mapungubwe site .
Alongside the plunge pool on rocks above camp . The lapa & kitchen is on the left .
Plunge pool on rocks above camp , camp is slightly to the left about 50 metres away .
The lapa , kitchen behind me , the pool is on the rocks slightly to the right above the camp .

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 am 

Thanks for photos, didn't know there was a pool as well. It looks great, just hope my Toyota Avanza will manage the road. Is there a fan in the cottage, don't know how hot it gets in April/May? Have made our booking, now have to book Kruger for rest of week.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You should be able to get there with an Avanza if the roads are still in a similar condition to when I was there in Dec 2006 .
There are fans in the accomodation units , and as far as I can recall solar panels to provide lighting . I cannot recall if there are plugpoints for chargers .
It is usually comfortably warm in the middle of the year , expect minimums of around 7 degrees and maximums as high as high 20's to low 30's .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:24 am 

We have booked two huts in this camp for six nights in Dec. Can anyone share some of their experiences of staying here? I have searched the forums and can`t find too much apart from this topic. The camp looks great from the few pics I have seen. What is the birding like around this area? I have heard elephant are seen fairly close as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoy and may we have a trip report please?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dec 2006 , had the WHOLE camp to ourselves , just the 2 of us . I went for a night time dip in the rock pool about 50 metres from the lapa , felt safe enough , but I had a strong torch .
Vhembe is a wilderness experience !

A leopard called from close by for more than an hour , moving past the camp .
Approaching the camp by car we saw eland , they ran over undulations and half metre high rocks with the agility of an impala .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:31 pm 

Thanks so much for the info,
to Naomi c now that I have at last learnt how to post pictures on the forum, I will definitely be writing a trip report!
to Ndloti, We just cannot wait for this trip, we so enjoyed the whole place last year but didn`t see any cats at all. I have read from Joel R`s posts that the population has increased so hopefully we will get lucky this time round. We just love the bush and both our children have been brought up going to these kind of places. They both love it and know quite a bit about it. I think that this one will be the ` wildest ` though. We have invited some friends with us so have booked another hut. They are old `game reservers` and are really good with their birds so hopefully will help us a bit as we are still quite new with it. Are the kitchen utensils ok or could you tell us if we need to take anything with, such as a potjie etc? Also how effective are the fridges because it`s going to be HOT !

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was there when the camp was more of a trails camp , I understand there could have been changes to the set up as there was a small 4 plate gas stove and a waist high fridge , probably inadequate if you have a few groups of guests wanting to keep to their own schedules .

I would suggest phoning the camp manager .

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A view of the camp from the south .

Post subject: Vhembe what car do I need?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm 

We are regular visitors of knp. Doing in april 2 weeks and plan another 2 weeks in novemer this year. In november are thinking of 3 nights Vhembe as a quiet end of ou trip. We plan do rent a simple sedan car and wonder if that will do for Vhembe. Can we get there, and once we're there, is driving around possible? On the map we see a lot of closed roads.

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Post subject: Re: Vhembe what car do I need?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you Daffy :D

Vhembe really is a wonderful way to end your trip. I have a Honda SUV which does have a bit more clearance than a sedan, but it is not in the "big league". I found the road to Vhembe rather challenging in that it is not always well graded, but it was not a road needing extra clearance. A little citi golf passed me and seemed to be doing very well.

The roads to the major sites.. the hide area, the confluence and the broadwalk are all very passable by sedan and used by day visitors.

I would say, go ahead and enjoy your stay. I hope that others give input here, but I do think that it would be do-able.