Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: San Paintings
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:41 am 

I notice there are two San paintings sites supposedly visible to the public in the Southern Kruger. The one is near Renosterkoppies (near Stevenson Hamilton) and the other is down near the Hippo Pool close to the Crocodile Bridge.

Are either of these "drive by" sites or do they require booked walking trails? My gut feeling says the latter as I can't imagine open paintings surviving the sun and rain for very long. If so, how long and how far and how expensive etc. would these viewings be?

Post subject: Re: San Paintings
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The hippo pools is a get out point where a guide ,that is stationed there during the day, takes you out towards the site...Free of charge :dance:

But ,and I am not 100% sure about this Moira, I think that the floods that the Kruger had in 2000 damaged most of the San art down at the hippo pools...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:24 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes, the Hippo Pools site was severely damaged by the flood, to such an extend that they do not even take people there anymore. If the guard is there, you can however ask him to show you, since it is close to the parking spot.

No other readily accessible spots however. There are plenty of paintings in KNP, especially around Berg-en-dal. The best way to view them is by doing the Bushmans walking trail. I do believe that there is an exhibition in Berg-en-dal which you can view.

This is sadly one part of the KNP history that is not accessible enough.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
As DD correctly stated, the hippo pools paintings were damaged by the 2000 floods. The guide there will gladly take you to the site.

Interesting, the force of the flood can be seen in the bent iron beam that was put into place to protect the paintings from human touch.

the best place to see paintings is to either book the Bushman's trail where you will see several. I have a topic on that somewhere. I will go finf it for you. Or alternatively do the morning walk at Berg-en-Dal and ask the guide to lead you to such a site nearby the camp.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
My experience with Bushman paintings.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

During our June trip we stopped at Hippo Pools and the ranger took us up and showed us the paintings. They are very faded and difficult to see. AS WTM mentioned, the old protective bar over the paintings is bent well out of shape - that was the first time I realised how powerful the floods were.

Still - well worth the stop

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:26 pm 

The Kruger National Park has a great wealth of San/Bushman (both terms are acceptable) rock art. Included is a large number of painted sites and a smaller number of engrawings. The best of the sites are accesiable on the Bushman, Wolhuter and Nylala Land Trails. Visitors staying at the Sand River Bush Camp are also taken to visit a painted site.

I am an archaeologist that have visited and work on sites in both KNP and Mapungubwe and hope to slowely start supplying the Forum with small sniplets of information of the rich cultural heritage of our National Parks. Lets hope there is an interest out there!!!

And please feel free to ask any question about this topic!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:44 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
micromammal! :yaya:

Yes, there is definitely an interest in this!
Please keep it coming! :D

:popcorn:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:37 am 

micromammal wrote:
The Kruger National Park has a great wealth of San/Bushman (both terms are acceptable) rock art. Included is a large number of painted sites and a smaller number of engrawings. The best of the sites are accesiable on the Bushman, Wolhuter and Nylala Land Trails. Visitors staying at the Sand River Bush Camp are also taken to visit a painted site.

I am an archaeologist that have visited and work on sites in both KNP and Mapungubwe and hope to slowely start supplying the Forum with small sniplets of information of the rich cultural heritage of our National Parks. Lets hope there is an interest out there!!!

And please feel free to ask any question about this topic!

Hi micromammal, I am wondering if anymore of these paintings are going to be made available for visitors to the KNP to view. I didn't consider the possibility of having one of these sites included on one of the drives, but of course that is an excellent idea.

I would LOVE to hear details of your work in the SanParks.