View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:51 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Brett,

My personal favourites are:
H7 to Orpen and on the way back I tack the S106 Rabelais dam loop. The loop brings you back on the H7. Then S39 road to Timbavati. From Timbavati back to the H7 on the S40 (BUMPY road). Always tack a drive to the back of Nsemani dam, had numerous lion sightings there.

S100, S41 to Nwanetsi, drive down S37 to Sweni bird hide and come back on H6

Another longdrive (better part of a day if done slowly) with mix success is going down H7 towards Orpen, turn left on the S36 gravel road towards Muzandzeni picnic spot, carry on down the S36 to Nhlianguleni picninc spot (both picnic spots only have long drop toilets). You can the take the S33 or S34 to the tar road and visit Tshokwane before heading back. If I remember correctly there is a detour on the S36 (not indicated on my old map) because a section of road is closed for guests of Hamilton's tented camp

You can also decide to go up to Olifants if you want

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There are lots of good roads in the Satara area.

One of my favourites hasn't been mentioned here yet: The Sweni Road (S126) - west of the H1-3. I have always had good sightings there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My favourite morning drive from Satara is south, then west onto the Sweni Road. Have seen lion and rhino at Welverdiend waterhole and leopard close by. Then its breakfast at Muzandzeni. Shimangwaneni Dam close by can have large herds of buffalo and elephant, while Mondzweni has a good natural viewing platform and attracts general game, plus the S36 is a good road for sable. I would then return via the S125 to Kumana Dam and the southernmost boabab, then up by the main road.

Favourite evening drive is to Girivani waterhole, which has a great spot under the trees on its western side to park and watch the animals and birds come down for an evening drink.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
hi Monne, I was at Satara for 5 days during May this tear. We found the southern section of the S90 very productive(before the S41 intersection.Apart from elephant, buffalo there were a number of grazers incl waterbuck wildebeest zebra (considerably more on this road than the S100 which is still a favourite road for me). We spotted lions on 3 separate occassions on the S90 about 6km from the H1-4 intersection and near the S41 intersection. We also spotted rhino's on three occassions (the same ones) on the S41 about 2 km from the S90 intersection. The group consisted of 4 individuals and were fairly tolerant of vehicles.
Another road worthwhile is the Vutomi road (S33) on which we spotted rhino, elephant and buffalo as well as a unbelievable sighting of a serval in the middle of the road.
As far as the camping is concerned pick a spot any spot. i usually find the fence sites fully occupied and I then scout for a shady spot which can also be difficult.
Satara is my favourite camp and I will be there during the last week of August 07. :dance: :dance: I hope you enjoy your stay.

Post subject: Satara nearby routes
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

While planning our stay in Satara followed by Olifants, I've researched alot of good sources (including this forum :dance: ) for the best drives around the area. The problem I'm running into is wondering... "what drives can we do in a day, a half-day, or in a few hours??" I'd greatly appreciate any insight on the time and experiene anyone has on these drives, or any of your favorites!

Thank you all in advance!

Satara to Tshokwayne and back. (H1-3, S-32, S-35, S-37, S-100) Seems like a full day drive to me...am I cutting things close given all the great places to stop along the way?

Satara to Muzandzeni to Talamati and back. (H1-3, S-126, S-36, S-145, S-140, S-106, H-7) This looks like it would be a route-less-travelled, but I see there is going to be road construction in the area very soon.

Thank you all in advance!

Post subject: Re: Satara nearby routes
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi stark

The drive from satara to tshokwane would be more or less a full days driving if you were to leave as the gates open , which i would suggest as your best sightings are always in the earlier parts of the day. It is approxamitely 77km there, travelling on the S100,S37,S35 and S32 and because they are sand roads travveling is alot slower, so with stopping for sightings i would say it would take about 4.5-5 hours (at an averahe of 20km/h). On the way back if you travel the H1-3 it is about 49km and would take about 3-3.5 hours .

you will really enjoy the S126 going to muzandzeni, one of my favourite roads in the park! Im not sure if it is a road less travelled but in general there are usually far less people on the sand roads.

If you want a general rule, my family usually does not try and exceed a 150km round trip in one days driving, as we like to stop for a long time at sightings and drive very slowly.

Enjoy your trip when you go !! because you will definately be back for more and more :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Stark, I love that area and it really is Lion country.

As far as Satara to Tshokwane goes, do nip into the S86. Its a small loop off the H1-3. You will often find Lions seeking a bit of shade.

You will have to try the boerrie rolls at Tshokwane, prepared by our very own forumite, Geupard. Pop in and say, hello. Forumites always love to meet each other.

The s100, to my mind is a must. It is the road where I have seen the biggest concentration of Lion. Because of the many predators, there are also many raptors. I always go to check out Gudanzi dam if I explore the s100, it is a particularly lovely spot.

You do not say how many nights you will be staying. If time is an issue, I would be tempted to rather spend a day going towards Olifants and taking in the s39 somewhere. As much as I enjoyed the Talamati area, I found that the road towards Olifants had more to offer.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The H7 to Orpen can cook also!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with BB. The H7 to Orpen for me is a must. Seen leopard, lion and cheetha in one morning only to Orpen. On the way back a rhino and of course ellies which made up the 5 for me. But I have also seen AWC and alot of nice birds on the way.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
If you enjoy history, Rabalais hut is a must.

I am taken by the simplicity of this little "shrine" to some ofthe most important people's contibution to conservation.

Post subject: Satara nearby routes
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Fantastic information all, thank you I just realized that I didn't give much info about our trip :redface: We'll be in the park from 14/02/09 to 18/02/09, 2 nights @ Satara and 2 nights @ Olifants.

Day 1: We'll be entering Orpen gate around noon, and take the H-7 to Satara. Not exactly the best game viewing time of day, but we're hoping to have some of your luck ,BB and gerharddb. :pray: Depending on when we get to camp, as we'll be in no rush, we'll check availability for an evening or night drive, and maybe do a partial drive down S-100.

Day 2: The gates open at 5:30, and my plan it so be queued and ready! (not sure the wife will agree, but she can doze in the car. :)) I'm really leaning towards a drive to Tshokwane. (great info and suggestions, oddesy5466 and MM!!). Back to Satara that night.

Day 3: Eventually we need to make it to Olifants, and I think the S-39 will fit into our plans this day! (Maybe S-126 to S-36/39 if time permits) Stay at Olifants that night, overlooking the river.

Day 4: From Olifants...I'm WIDE OPEN on what to do this day. Northern routes towards Lataba, or southern routes back towards Satara/Orpen? Decisions, decisions.

Day 5: I need to get from Olifants to Eastgate airport for a flight that leaves at 1:55PM. :wall: Not sure if we'll have time to do much of anything, but we're considering exiting the park via phalaborwa and stopping at the masorini site. OR, we just might stay on the tar roads and swing back to Satara and out Orpen. (if, for no other reason, than to maybe get a chance to see the elusive wild dogs.)

Again, thank you all for your willingness to share your experience. I've purchased a few books about visiting SA and Kruger, and by far I've gotten better info right here from this site.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
1 km west of Msemani dam (7 km west of Satara) is a hyena den. Msemani has been known to be a leopard and lion hotspot.
Look out for cheetahs hunting during the day, near Timbavati turnoff and eastern Talamati turnoff also.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Check the sightings boards in the camps as well -- don't take them as gospel though :lol: Letaba is not far from Olifants and a trip up there is always worth while -- even if just to pop into the Elephant Hall.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Stark,
that sounds great. :thumbs_up:
I would suggest getting the book, "Exploring Kruger" when you are there. It's well worth it and it will be a lovely reminder of your journey.
You will find the book full of detailed info, including descriptions of all the roads. In addition, it discusses the biostructures of Kruger, animals, birds, history, and... and.. and.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Don't waste your time on the S100 Stark...nothing to see there :twisted:

Seriously now Satara is my favourite place to visit and I always love to hate the fact that I can't decide which road to take in the mornings...Do I go towards Tshokwane, Orpen, Sweni, Timbavati, Olifants or Nwanetsi....I mean really you are spoilt for choice there :D

Have a good time :mrgreen: