Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:59 am 

Thank you billyf!
Another question: Has the Pick&Pay in Upington a safe parking? We'll go there in the morning and then directly to KTP, with our luggage in the hired car.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
I read about the "roosterkoeke", this sounds yummy, is it as good as it sounds and what is the procedure for ordering/buying these on a regular basis? Are they available in MM Nossob and TR?

Firewood, are we allowed to take firewood into the park?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm 

The "roosterkoeke" are really good--- especially as you can't get any fresh bread in the shops inside the park. You can order bread or rolls at the reception in Nossob (when you check in) -- and they deliver it directly to your cabin in the evening. I read that you can get "roosterkoeke" in MM, too, but as far as I remember we asked at the reception last August but it didn't work! I don't know about TR ....
But what I know is that it's no problem to take your own firewood into the park (it might even be cheaper than buying it in KTP)!
Hope this helps.

P.S.: Maybe we'll meet in the park -- we are leaving for KTP at the beginning of next week

Post subject: Paying for items
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:12 pm 

I see from the thread that Visa is accepted in some of the shops, but I was wondering about debit cards (maestro).

Can I pay my park fees (wildcard ?) using maestro cards and are they accepted in the shops?

I know you can't use credit cards for fuel but can you use debit cards?

On the night we arrive (Sunday) will we be able to get a meal from the restaurant at TR?

and finally, has anyone tried brita filters jugs on the local water, and did they improve it?

6 weeks and counting to my first visit to KTP

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:18 pm 

Hi Arks, I red abouth the butchery in your trip report.
How many days is possible to preserve vacuum packed meat at ambient temperature (in the car, going from a camp to another one)? And for eggs? I have never tried it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Flavia, vacuum packed meat should last at least a week. WE manage that camping and just using a cooler box. If you are staying in chalets you can freeze the meat and that should stay frozen between camps as long as you pack it in a cool bag or box.
Eggs should last at least 2 weeks in a cool environment.

@ Bruce - They should accept Maestro cards - am not sure of debit cards (never tried it myself) You should be ok at Twee Revieren, not so sure about Mata Mata and Nossob.

They also accept South African petrol and garage cards for fuel.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:20 am 

Thank you!
I know it's possible to buy "roosterkoeke" both in Nossob and Mata Mata, I red it in Red Dune trip report 2007 http://www.reddune.info/2007/ and bread seems yummy!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 pm 

just remember to draw enough cash at the ATM at Twee-Rivieren. deeper into KTP no cards are accepted ....

and damn... lol ... forgot all about the roosterkoeke ...... somebody should have reminded me on my last trip, lol ..... but yes, I have a thermo-electric cooler box, and even meat keeps fresh enough for 2 weeks, and in the main camps you can always run it from mains at night .....

Post subject: Water and wood in KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:32 am 

Gharagab and Kielie-krankie both say you must take your own drinking water - can I assume that they have water to shower with?

Are you allowed to take firewood into KTP? - or must you purchase it within the park?

Thanks.
Wild man

Post subject: Re: Water and wood in KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Take all drinking water, the water there is not palatable, but there is enough for showering etc.

As for wood, I don't know.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You can purchase firewood in the park BUT sometimes there is a shortage! I would not take the chance! Water, as BB says, take your own. They do sell drinking water in the shops but it does become rather costly if you don't take any at all along with you.
Not sure what others take, but we take 5 litres per day between 2 people.
We have always taken our own wood. Many years back one had to declare that they had firewood when you arrived at the main gate. We just make a habit of telling them we have brought our own wood and have never had any problems

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Only drinking water needed. We took 4x 5l bottles for 11 nights and returned with 1 unused but we probably didn't drink enough water.

Took some wood with but found wood available in the 3 main camps. This was during December and there was never any shortage. Pieces are a bit big so maybe take a handaxe with if possible.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Depending on weather of course, but Johann & co didn't drink enough, and 2½ liters per day is barely enough.

Wind, heat and dry air take away your fluids in a very fast pace!
Keep an eye on your drinking habits, and when you begin to get a light headache grab that water bottle and drink!

A word of warning about alcohol: your body tries to get rid of the alcohol as soon as you drink it. It needs water for that, so if you are thirsty do not grab a cold beer, but grab a water bottle, or your body get's into more trouble!

Count on the safe side, 4 liters pp per day, that also gives you a bit of reserve in case you run into people who did not calculate right....
And as you're not allowed of your car, just bring a 1½ liter bottle (pp) into the cabin of the car, which you can refill from your 5 liter bottles.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:52 am 
As Dreamer said, sometimes especially Nossob has a shortage of wood. When you get to Twee Rivieren, just confirm with the shop there if Nossob has wood in stock. I think Nossob often run out of wood due to all the guys going through there on their way to the Botswana side.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
Depending on weather of course, but Johann & co didn't drink enough, and 2½ liters per day is barely enough...

True. We did have lots of softdrinks and fruit juice though. As DQ says, keep the beers for late in the day or better still, back at camp. You won't dehydrate so quickly.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next