Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Otter Trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:38 pm 

Hi
We are hiking the otter trail in January . I have heard many conflicting stories about crossing the bloukrans river mouth. Some people say that taking a survival bag to float your backpack accross is essential , while others say that if you time the tides right you should easily be able to walk accross with your backpack on.
Please could someone help with some advice on what we should be taking with us for this crossing. we will aim to be at the crossing at least an hour before low tide.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Si Mac

Post subject: Re: Otter Trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:30 pm 
Guru
Guru

Si Mac wrote:
Hi
We are hiking the otter trail in January . I have heard many conflicting stories about crossing the bloukrans river mouth. Some people say that taking a survival bag to float your backpack accross is essential , while others say that if you time the tides right you should easily be able to walk accross with your backpack on.
Please could someone help with some advice on what we should be taking with us for this crossing. we will aim to be at the crossing at least an hour before low tide.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Si Mac

Dear Si Mac

I have forwarded your question to my colleagues at Tsitsikamma and include Andre Riley's, (Section Ranger at Tsitsikamma National Park) response herewith:
-------------------------------------------------

Otter Trail:

The crossing of the Bloukrans River on the Otter trail is influenced by three factors; the tide, sea conditions and river flow. All three of these factors could make the crossing difficult. A combination thereof could make it even more difficult. However under normal conditions at low tide the river is easy to cross. I would certainly recommend that you take along a survival bag as one cannot predict the conditions on the day. It is better to have dry cloths on the hike, and secondly it is very dangerous walking across a river with a backpack completely strapped to you back.

As mentioned above, should you cross the river at low tide and the conditions are normal, the crossing might not even require a survival bag. However a survival bag might certainly come in handy on other parts of the trail, especially if it rains.

I trust that you and your party will have an enjoyable hike.

Yours,
André©

André© Riley
Tsitsikamma National Park
P. Bag x 1
Storms River

Tel/Fax: +27 (0)44-5316792

=================================

Danie Pretorius
Manager: Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Post subject: Otter trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:32 pm 

Hi,

does the otter trail involve any climbing? Does it require to be footsure (I do not mean uneven terrain, but do not like to walk along narrow paths where I can fall down from). I'd be grateful for information.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Otter trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:46 am 
Guru
Guru

daisy wrote:
Hi,

does the otter trail involve any climbing? Does it require to be footsure (I do not mean uneven terrain, but do not like to walk along narrow paths where I can fall down from). I'd be grateful for information.

Thanks

Your query was forwarded to the Section Ranger: Tsitsikamma National Park (André© Riley) and this is his response (thanks Andre!):
======================
Dear Daisy,

The Otter trail involves an considerable amount of inclines and declines. The trail varies from sea level to ± 190 m above sea level. In most cases the climbs are fairly steep. At places the path does become narrow with fairly steep drop-offs to the one side. However we very seldom experience problems with hikers who experience problems with heights. There are a number of lookout points with sheer 190m drops, but these are off the main hiking route. The walking surface is fairly uneven and there are also a few rivers to cross.

Kind regards

André©

André© Riley
P. Bag x 1
Storms River

=========================

Danie Pretorius

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

If one decide to stay over at Nature's Valley Restcamp the day you complete the Otter trail, is there any transport available back to the start to collect your vechile?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:17 am 
Guru
Guru

francoisd wrote:
If one decide to stay over at Nature's Valley Restcamp the day you complete the Otter trail, is there any transport available back to the start to collect your vechile?

Answer from André© Riley, Section Ranger: Tsitsikamma National Park:
Dear Hiker,

There is a privately operated shuttle service between Nature's Valley and Storms River mouth restcamp (7 days/week).

Contact details: Hikers Haven +27 (0)44 - 5316805

André© Riley
P. Bag x 1
Storms River

Danie Pretorius

Post subject: NEED INFO ON OTTERS TRAIL ACCOMADATION WHILE TRAILING PLEASE
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:20 pm 
We are six adults on the trail.

Do you have cabins/huts that sleep six. is there electricity. water?

How much is the rate to share for five days?

Do we move from hut to hut - what's the rate then?

Do we pack own bedding?

Is it like camping but inside a hut?

Thank you.

Looking forward to your reply.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:54 pm 

Hi Wilna,

I don't know if you have read this but might be able to help you:

1. Otter Trail
2. Otter Trail 2
3. Tsitsikamma National Park - Otter Trail

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:06 pm 

The Otter trail is a 5 day hiking trail. So you will move from cabin to cabin. The cost to stay over is included in the hiking fee. As with most hiking trails you will have to carry your own food and bedding (normally a sleeping bag). I have not done this trail myself, buth my wife and some of her friends are doing it next week. I do not believe in self-torture so I will not accompany them.

Also read the links W@H posted

If you want to see more photos visit the Footprint hiking club's report on the Otter trail

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:40 pm 

Quote:
I do not believe in self-torture so I will not accompany them.

:lol: :lol:
Sitting around a warm fire with a glass of wine is exercise enough for me as well.

I found some more info on the otter trail here.

Post subject: Otter Trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:00 am 

I have been offered an opportunity to join a group on the Otter Trail next week.

The only problem is that I have a knee problem due to an injury, which means I get pain if I do too much climbing. I gather there are a fair number of ups and downs on the trail.

My main concern is that if I find the trail too hard, and am not able to continue (sincerely hoping this won't be the case), is there a way out or will I have to walk either all the way back, or finish it? I don't want to hamper my hiking companions in any way, but also don't want to be stuck in the middle?

If it is possible to get out at the various rest camps, then I will give it a try, and hope the knee guards etc do their trick. Otherwise, I don't know if it's worth taking the chance...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:40 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Quote:
In most cases the climbs are fairly steep.

That does not sound like it should be a great problem, at least if you have stamina. I would advise to at least bring a cane or walking stick (Or two hefty guys to carry you the last bit.)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Hiking the Otter Trail in the end of june this year??
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:48 pm 

I am looking for place in group hiking the Otter Trail around the end of june 2005. I am a young and sportive man (27) backpacking throughout S.A. on my own. Would be great to join a group of enthusiastic hikers and nature lovers.

MFG Torsten from Cologne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:00 pm 

Have you tried phoning the Cape Nature Conservation (I think that's what they called) to find out if they've had a cancellation or otherwise trying the hiking clubs?

Post subject: Otter Aug 05 Tides
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:28 pm 

Can anyone tell me what time lowtide will be on 12 August 2005 at the Bloukrans crossing or alternatively point me in the direction of a useful website?

Any other helpful hints for the trail?

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next