Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:14 pm 
I, by chance, found some interesting reading on the African forest elephants that are found in Central and Western Africa. Seems that they have only recently, through DNA testing, discovered that the Forest Elephant (Loxodonta cycloti) is a completely different specie than the African savannah elephant (Loxodonta africana).
Before this discovery it was believed that there were only two different species of elephants in the world: the African savannah elephant and the Asian elephant, (Elephas maximus). The elephants that were found in the forests of these African countries were believed to be Savannah elephants that merely adjusted to forest living.
Now some scientists even believe that the difference between the Forest elephants and the Savannah elephants are as much as the difference between tigers and lions.

This got me thinking about the possibility that the elephants that were found (are still found) in the Knysna forest, were actually African forest elephants? Do any of you know whether this was ever determined…Seahorse?

According to this and this, the forest elephants are smaller than the savannah elephants and their tusks are straighter and thinner…also has more rounded ears.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Where do the desert elephants of Damaraland, Namibia fit into this scenario, Jumbo. Any Idea?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Found this article on evidence of Knysna ellies today.

Post subject: SANparks ellie pics
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:12 pm 

Photos taken by Hylton Herd - Chief SANparks forester for the Garden Route, (with the help of SANparks' ellie trackers & forest guards) on 22 March '07, near Jubilee Creek:

Apparently the above ellie is the same lonely creature as the one that featured in the Knysna-Plett Herald (identified by the blood vessel patterns on its ears), and as far as I'm aware, no second individual has been spotted yet:

The above photo was apparently taken on 4 April 2006 at 16h22, by Wilfred Oraai:
Accompanying text from the original Sanparks mail (that was forwarded to the Herald and used in the article too): "...Not a good picture as the elephant was standing behind a tall fynbos bush, but will still be of use to SANPARKS as the elephants left ear is almost clearly in focus and shows blood vessel patterning that serves as a fingerprint when used for comparison with other photographs, a system that was used successfully in the Addo elephant park in distinguishing individuals. Wilfred Oraai, Karel Maswattii, experienced forest elephant trackers were on the usual weekly search in the Goudveld area for elephant signs when they came across fresh tracks."

"Assessing prevailing weather conditions, they split up and took up strategic points in order to get a photo of the animal. Suddenly Wilfred heard cracking noises about 60m ahead of him and climbed a young pine tree to get a better angle. As he zoomed in and focused the video camera on the animal, the branch he was standing on broke and he fell to the ground, camera and all. The elephant heard the commotion and ran off, unfortunately in Wilfred’s direction. When Wilfred eventually got to his feet the animal was very close to him but fortunately ran past. Wilfred was just lucky to be alive and thanked the powers that be for this. Particularly so as this was Fynbos which poses far more danger when encountering elephant..."

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Oh Wow!

What an awesome post.
Thank you very much.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
News filters through slowly from the Garden route. Another good reason for getting rid of the pines!

Go Wilfred go! We hope you are ok. Being trampled after falling would not have ended so happily.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:08 am 

Morning all

I just have to add my two cents worth on the Elephants of the forest... On May 27 on our way to the Outeniqua Trout Farm along the Diepvalle road we came across the freshly munched on branches which some Ellie happened to drop...It was do exciting as a novice nature lover to experience this and see the distinct foot padded foot prints left behind.

So close yet so far.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Another article regarding further evidence of Knysna ellies 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks arks

This article has appeared in a number of publications-both print and online. Jill Gordon, the manager of Wilderness National Park, is going to see if we can hear more about this in the future on the website!

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:26 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

diannet wrote:
This article has appeared in a number of publications-both print and online. Jill Gordon, the manager of Wilderness National Park, is going to see if we can hear more about this in the future on the website!

On the frontpage.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello

Has anyone had any updates on the elephants of The Knysna forest since June 2007.

This Forest has always held a special part of my hart and I would love to hear of any news regarding not only its ellies but also of animals like the leopards, Blue Duiker, Knysna Lourie etc.

In the June 2007 article I see they are talking about Knysna buffs which I have never heard of can anyone provide info on this please.

Very much appreciated :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

pantera leo wrote:
I would love to hear of any news regarding not only its ellies but also of animals like the leopards, Blue Duiker, Knysna Lourie etc.

I don't no about the other but according to the amount of sightings the Lourie is doing fine. I also saw good numbers of Bushbuck and Bushpic in resent years.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:00 am 

Hi all,

Yes you will definitely hear louries, even if you don't see them, and bushbuck are also frequently seen. So far as leopard go there is apparently one every 23Km2 in the forest but you are very,very unlikely to see one. Blue Duiker are nocturnal and very secretive so rarely seen, however you may come across bushpig at night, and certainly see evidence of them during the day.

The most recent rumours I have come across about the ellies is that following DNA studies on dung it is believed there are 5, one of which is a calf. If you walk in the forest you are likely to come across tracks and dung.

This is the first I've heard about Knysna Buffs, but who knows what's lurking in the forest there...

Post subject: Re: Knysna Elephants
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/knysna/ne ... ephant.php

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Knysna Elephants
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:46 pm 

Hello everyone,

I 'm following passionately recent episodes of the forest elephants of Knysna.
DNA forest elephant is different from those of savannah.
the South African population of elephants in forest leaves little hope on the viability of such a population.
Elephant Central Africa (Cameroon-Congo) is it the same DNA as that of South Africa?
If so is it possible to relocate people of Congo to South Africa to strengthen the genetic potential?
there are also other benefits of such an operation: no more a secret that the national parks of Central Africa are drilled baskets for poachers,
populations of forest elephants of Central Africa are decimated for bushmeat, ivory, which is very good, and the logging companies.
South Africa is an example in the management of national parks, although it was decried in the past, only the results count!
I am really interested if anyone could tell me about this and if such a project is not what would it take to implement it?
I learned one thing over time is that the only limitations we have are those that are needed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next