Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Northern Kruger sightings : July 2005
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
They arrived safely and saw heaps of Sharpe's and some lovely birds.

A breading herd of ele's with babies entertained them at my second best hide in the Park at the waterhole alongside the camp.

She says that the camp is extremely busy.

Birds seen was:

Fish eagle
Tawny eagle
green-spotted dove
goliath heron
water thickknee
Egyptian geese
whitefronted bee-eater
green pigeons
lilac-breasted roller
stonechat
puffback(she now knows what it is)
marabous
golden-breasted bunting

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:57 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

In addition to that she/they saw:

For the non-birders:
She also saw kudu, 4 Sharpes grijsbokken, 2 duikers, steenbokkies, lots of nyala's, monkeys and baboons, lots of zebra with young, wildebeest, ellies and crocs.

For the birders:
2 Cape vultures,
Fisheagle,
2 marabou storks.

She thinks it is good to be home...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
sharpe's is as common there as impala in the Skukuza area. I saw atleast 2 dozen a month ago.

She spoke to me last night and said that the cape vultures might have been the way more common white-backed. We'll wait for her to defend herslef here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:27 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

GP reporting in again:
This morning: 2 lions (male/female), lots of nyala's, huge kudu bull, 2 bateleurs, 5 ellies, huge herd of zebra (more than a km long) & wildebeest, squirrels, marabou, steenbok, impala.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:14 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

madach wrote:
I volunteered for the weekend shift. Didn't get any updates today though so maybe there was no cell reception in Shingwedzi today.

I just got eight, so here we go {Little smiley opening eyes and cricking its fingers}

Saturday
Giraffe, nyala, ellies, waterbuck, hippo, zebra, wildebeest, grey heron, squirrels, African wildcat, guinnea fowl, martial eagle, blue waxbills, impala's, kudu's and crocodiles.

Sunday
Ellie with half his trunk missing, rabbit, 2 fisheagles, impala, 4 hyenas stalking impala, giraffe, 2 Sharpe's grijsbok, several kudu, hippos, waterbuck, bushbuck, pelicans, lapped faced vulture, saddlebilled stork, fish eagle eating what looked like a rabbit, yellowbilled storks, baboons, squirrels and dwarf mongooses.

Sunday evening
Forum withdrawal symptoms.....

Monday
Ellie, bateleur, fisheagle, buffalo, impala, zebra and reedbuck.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:08 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Where did she see the pelicans?

Kanniedood Dam.

OK, news:
Monday
Stopped at Kanniedood Dam to watch waterbirds. Ended up watching 3 ellies and a herd of 400+ buffalo coming down to drink. Thought that was it, when a second herd of at least 200 came down the Shingwedzi riverbed! Giant eagle owl, kudus and ellies.

Just stopped at a hyena den, 4 large ones with 2 cubs.

Just left through Phalaborwa Gate. After hyena's, martial eagle, ground hornbills, another huge herd of buffalo, ellies, kudu. Huge stretch between Mopani and Letaba still burning. Almost nothing left. Great trip.

(Grumble.... I can remember seeing 9 buffs in total in Kruger, in 10 days.... now I know where they went.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have to post this now. Who else hates the road from Letaba to Phalaborwa Gate? :evil:

"Daar groei die nikse meters hoog en die boggerols vreet dit op!"

*There the nothings grow metres high and the buggeralls eat it up!*

We have never seen anything on that road. I'm not joking.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:23 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I've seen klipspringers but not a lot else. :(

Post subject: GP's report back
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here goes – sit back and enjoy. First – thanx to those willing to receive my sms’s and calls about all the sightings. And yes, I did use my cellphone to call WTM and send sms’s, even for the first time some not at camp. Peace and quiet for you DQ and WTM – you did a great job. Madach – as you thought – no MTN reception at Shingwedzi, Vodacom do have a strong signal though, DB, you won’t be stranded.

We planned on leaving early on the morning of the 14th , but ended up leaving at 11 the night before because we were so excited. We arrived at Pafuri Gate bout 20 minutes after they opened. Congratulations to all involved in the renovation of the Gate complex. We were pleasantly surprised. Efficient service from the guys there too. The car’s windscreen even got a clean. We saw lots of owls perching on the telephone poles on the tar road leading into KNP but ofcourse to dark to make any id.

As usual the H1-9 didn’t have much in line of sightings except for a few impala and Yellowbilled Hornbills. The kids were very excited about their first Baobab trees as it was completely dark while we were driving the last section outside the park. Lynette’s first baobab got photographed about 10 times.

We drove Nyala drive (S64) first, as we couldn’t last time as it was closed to traffic. Saw lots of Nyalas and kudus. What a beautiful stretch of road. Took the S63 towards the Border post and saw our first elephant. Here we were hit by the drought. Nothing but sand. Drove down to Crook’s corner where the kids were totally freaked out by the Fevertree Forest. Incredibly beautiful. Saw a whitefronted bee-eater for the first time in my life. What a beauty. There are some waterholes on your way to Pafuri Picnic Spot so there are general game in the area. We were surprised at the number of sebra we found on the road this time round. Also much easier to photograph than down South as they seem tamer. Pafuri Picnic Spot is still as beautiful as ever. As a newbie birder I didn’t want to leave – there’s so much to see there. Forgot to mention that we saw lots of longtailed starlings there. Made a skottelbrekkie with Meg’s matjontjans there. Beware of the resident vervets – only 2 of them, but worse than a troop of vervets. Thanx to the caretaker of the Picnic Spot – Frank, who made our visits there memorable. This guy knows his birds and when he notices genuine interest, he loves pointing them out to you.

Drove down to Punda Maria. We noticed the absence of the huge elephant herds on the plains. Not as many as the last time we were there. Lots of sebra and blue wildebeest though. I was disappointed when I saw how busy the camp was. We eventually had to share a campsite just behind the birdhide with a group of people who turned out to be very interesting in the end. But that for later. First the birdhide – the best place ever to put one. We spent hours there. Saw kudus, nyalas, inpala, marabou and a breeding herd of ellies there. I’m sure someone will see a lion or 2 there soon enough. The swimmingpool was a bit cold to be really enjoyable, but the kids did so anyway.

Now for the people we met there. The guys we shared with are from an outdoors group who sell vehicles and camper trailers and they were following the Limpopo River into Mozambique right up to the ocean. Ofcourse when I realized what they were up to I just had to ask. Did some advertising for the forum and website here as the YR drew attention in a full camp. Met some great people. Found old friends by accident too, 15 years after I last saw them in Standerton I met them in the campsite. What a lovely surprise as it was totally unexpected.

As for sightings, I’ll stick to ones that stand out for me as all were listed already. Had a stunning Nyala sighting on the Nyala Drive on the 15th. An elephant had pulled down a branch into the middle of the road from which a huge male Nyala was feeding. We sat there for more than an hour, just watching. When it got quiet all kinds of animals started appearing – squirrels, vervets, baboons, impala. We saw large numbers of steenbok (Lynette calls them Stokkiebokkies), Duiker and Sharpe’s grysbok. They are all over the North. We stopped counting after a while. Saw one beauty of a kudu bull just behind Pafuri Picnic Spot. His horns had 3 loops in them starting on another on the tip. The lion sighting were all the kid’s. We were driving on the tar road towards baobab hill from Punda on the 15th and saw 6 sebra running from the veld. Lynette started shouting like a damened alarm and Wouter almost climbed on top of her. On the opposite side a lioness was watching us drive by. When she walked in deeper she joined a beautiful maned lion. The kids say they saw more lionesses but I’m not sure, could be.

We drove the Dzundwini Loop (S58) a couple of times as Wild Dogs were spotted there continuously for 2 weeks – no luck there however. None with the resident leopard either WTM.

Last edited by Guinea Pig on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:

@Sharpe's. 3 sightingsreport on the abundance of sharpe's in the area. Means it is the place to be if y want to see these

Got lovely video clips and pics of 2 on the Kanniedood Dam Loop behind Shingwedzi and the Red Rocks Loop. The latter was so small - unbelieveable! :shock: My puppy dog is bigger than that. If that one is bigger than 40cm high I'll eat my hat. I'll try to get stills off the video footage today.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Left for Shingwedzi on the 16th. First did the Mphongolo Loop and drove on to Babalala for Breakfast. When we left we did the last part of the Loop and found the Wild Cat. When we returned to Babalala for another early morning drive we found the resident reedbuck at the waterhole just behind the picnic site. Lots of general game on this Loop. Saw some interesting elephant behaviour on the loop. We found a group of 4 young ones playing with logs, picking them up and throwing it about. Having “fightsâ€Â

Last edited by Guinea Pig on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

These are only some of the pics taken with the digital, some more on film:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jose wrote:
Freda wrote:
...Would be interesting to know if it was a different experience because of this forum?

As in: any YR sightings...? :lol:

Being part of the forum did make it a different experience. For the first time I seriously went looking for birds - Francois and WTM were responsible for that! :lol: We never cooked food except for skottelbrekkies - DB, Oumie and Freda convinced me otherwise and we will never do it any other way again. 8) Sending in sightings made the trip that bit more exciting too as I knew there were people who'll be genuinely interested in what we were experiencing - DQ and WTM, sorry for making you jealous! :lol: We usually leave almost unnoticed, nothing special. This time my phone kept ringing and receiving sms's before we left. Others were more excited than I was! DQ, WTM, Jaco and W@H could barely contain themselves. :lol: Saw no YR but it was noticed and led to very interesting conversations - let's hope some of them join in. Most important, my shyness seems to have pulled a Houdini on itself - where I'm used to keeping to myself most of the time maybe chatting to one or two foreigners, I found myself chatting to just about everybody I met. That was fun! :D

Does it seem like the forum made a difference? :D

Post subject: Re: GP's report back
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Guinea Pig wrote:
Beware of the resident vervets – only 2 of them, but worse than a troop of vervets.

You mean one of these?

Post subject: Re: GP's report back
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:

You mean one of these?

That's one of them, yes. :evil:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next