Skip to Content

Hapoor - Addo Elephant Park

See what other forumites recommend you should read
carolynn

Hapoor - Addo Elephant Park

Unread postby carolynn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:31 pm

Could anyone please supply me with the story of Hapoor for a fascinated 6 year old.

Elaine/USA

Re: Hapoor - Addo Elephant Park

Unread postby Elaine/USA » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:49 am

carolynn wrote:Could anyone please supply me with the story of Hapoor for a fascinated 6 year old.

Hi Carolynn, I googled and found this story on the Sanparks site. Enjoy...

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/history.php

Elaine

Nannie

Unread postby Nannie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:06 am

Hapoor's head is mounted in the Addo-park restaurant, we had dinner right under it last year. There is a fairly detailed story about him on the wall. We read is at the time and one of the facts I remember was his killing of a darted elephant cow. I suggest you try to contact Addo park's office, they should be able to supply you with all the detail.

hibrowtvproductions

Re: Hapoor - Addo Elephant Park

Unread postby hibrowtvproductions » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:03 pm

carolynn wrote:Could anyone please supply me with the story of Hapoor for a fascinated 6 year old.

Carolynn: The stories of Hapoor abound. The death of Mrs. Hapoor was one of the most profound experiences of my childhood. Port Elizabeth went into mourning the day that happened. Hapoor's grief could be felt and heard. He gave a trumpet of great sorrow. He was never the same after that. When I went back home after many years in America I went to Addo and wept at the mounted head of that great elephant. There has never been another like him in recorded history. Hapoor had some serious issues and he hated people - do you blame him?
http://allhorse.blogspot.comThrough the lens I live - Cruelty Free

Peter Betts

Unread postby Peter Betts » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:50 pm

Rob my eldest son cut his teeth in the bush at 3 months old when we lived in JHB and used to go to Kruger 7 times a year...those were the days. He was always immaculately behaved and new to be quiet especially around elephant. However one year we came to Keurbooms near Plett for a seaside break and we spent a day at Addo on the way. Rob was about 6 at the time and for some reason that day he was totally out of character and was not cooperating. We decided to spoil ourselves and go to the retaurant for breakfast. The waiter took us to the table right under Hapoor's head on the wall.... Rob said absolutely nothing the whole meal and his eyes were as wide as saucers as he continually glanced up at this huge head checking him out above him.... Hapoor had his uses even after departing this world!!!
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby HoepHoep » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:28 am

Peter
Now that is a nice story. I can only picture this little boy underneath old Hapoor's trunk.
Maybe this will help other readers:
Addo greetings
The Creator is bigger than His creation!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Riaann

Author: "Hapoor en Slurpie"

Unread postby Riaann » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Is there anyone out there who could kindly provide me with the author of the book "Hapoor en Slurpie" which I enjoyed as a kid? I would like to get a copy for my kids! We are off the Addo in a few days which means I will have to make a serious plan in this regard!!!

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Addo Elephant » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:13 pm

Hi Riaann,

Have heard of the book but don't know where you can get it. The Park shop doesn't sell it.

I'll see if our local librarian knows who the author is or where you can get it.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 pm

I just did an exhaustive search on the net, and must admit defeat.... :redface: :redface: :redface:
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:55 pm

I searched too and found many others also wanting to find this book! No mention of the author though.
aquila non capit muscas

Riaann

"Hapoor en Slurpie"

Unread postby Riaann » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks Guys, it is extremely frustrating however not to get any more info on this book. It was such a brilliant read for me as a kid, opening new insights into elephant life and behaviour as well as the frustrations of game wardens trying to contain animals within the Park. Thanks for your efforts but please inform me should you have more info. I will be in Addo for 3 nights within 2 days!

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Re: "Hapoor en Slurpie"

Unread postby JenB » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:31 am

Riaann wrote:Thanks for your efforts but please inform me should you have more info.

Please let us know should you have more info, Riaann, I think everyone is looking for a copy now. :D
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Addo Elephant » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Our clever librarian at the FitzPatrick Library (in Hermitage near Addo) has come up with the details for "Hapoor en Slurpie":

Author: Cecilia Olivier
Published: 1967 by Voortrekker Pers, Johannesburg

However, she reckons that the book is out of print and says it doesn't even have an ISBN number because it was published in the days when ISBN numbers weren't assigned. I think therefore that it will be quite difficult to track down.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

Riaann

"Hapoor en Slurpie"

Unread postby Riaann » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:17 pm

Wow, thanks a million Megan! Now to get hold of a copy! Thanks for the great work and quick feedback we can enjoy from you!

lirritma
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lirritma » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:20 pm

I would try the main library in Bellville Riaan.
Gerrit

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.

Return to “Bookshelf”