Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: S100 is a must!
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:13 pm 

I'm new to the forums,but after reading comments on S100 I have to say that as far incredible sightings go this is the road to go.
Was in Satara 9-11 Aug. 07 and saw entire pride of lions numbering +- 12 lions surrounding my car at about 5p.m.
Enjoyed about +- 1 hr.
Previously seen leopard with cubs on S100.
Just off the S100 towards Gudzani dam 2 cheetah were sighted.
The S100 is always stacked in favour of cats not to mention all other common game. :clap:
Game spotting is combination of knowledge coupled with luck.
Don't give this road a miss !!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:47 pm 

Hi all,

I must say that the S100 is normally too busy for our fancy - we prefer the quieter roads. This road has however provided nice sightings in the past, on the few occasions that we have driven it.

In July this year we saw a beautiful serval on a S100 morning drive :D (see photos under the serval thread), and we decided to give it a go again in the afternoon.

Although we saw a lioness, the late afternoon drive was a "typical" Winter-afternoon S100 drive with heaps of cars and a lot of dust, making it difficult to spot anything.

Approximately 10 minutes before gate closing time we were at the back of a long line of cars pressing to be in time. How none of the other cars saw the leopard sitting right next to the road I will never know. Maybe it could have been the dust. For 5 minutes we had eye to eye contact with the beautiful cat before it disappeared in the bush. :dance:

Lion, leopard & serval in one day!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Heavy traffic jam on the S100 in January this year. About 8 youngsters in the pride providing entertainment, playing and tackling each other.

Post subject: at a dip...
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:37 pm 

I don't know the road well enough to describe exactly where we saw her - it was to the west of Nsasane water tank, cause that's where the lions were, and to the south of the road, near a gully.

nancy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:07 am 

Thanks for that info wildcatzoo , we will keep our eyes peeled :shock: :shock: and hope

Pete L

21 days to go

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:14 pm 

Hey guys, new on the forums but have been reading the thread and i must admit that the S 100 is pretty much like the kruger in general... it's all about being at the right place at the right time!

I have travelled the road extensively with my family in years gone by and have on almost every occassion seen lions... in fact we have seen very little else along this road except for the large herds of zebra and wildebeest which make the road very enjoyable nonetheless!

Two of the best lion sightings that i have ever had in the park were along this road:

We were on a night drive from Satara (in winter) a couple of years ago when we turned onto the s100 from the Nwanetsi side and were just in time to see a lioness take down a wildebeest bull about two metres from the road.

The other memorable sighting was far closer to Satara when we were heading back to camp at about 17:00 in April this year... a whole pride of about 13 lions were sitting in the road next to one of the river turnoffs/ loops before they all went into hunt mode and began stalking a group of zebra on the opposite side of the road... we couldn't stay due to camp closing times but it was fantastic!!

I have to admit though that our sightings improve tremendously along the s100 during autumn/winter and I have yet to see lions along this road during the summer months!

Kruger trip - {11th December 2007 - 16th December 2007} :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:10 am 

did the S100 once on our dec trip, where we found this beautiful leopard and had the pleasure of her company for around an hour, alone for almost all of it.
It was amazing! and she was so beautiful, with such distinct neck markings. Spent part of her time eating grass??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:41 pm 

The S1oo for me has got to be the most productive road when it comes to lion sightings.

Was on this road the 1st,2nd,3rd of May and on every day without fail we managed to see lion including a fantastic sighting of 13 lions sleeping on the road.

During some of our drives more than 1 pride was to be seen.

Definitely a road for the big cats.

Only minus is it can at times get a bit congested at cat sightings.

Apart from cat sightings lots of general game are visible. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
The S100 has not changed its route since I first started traveling along it in about 1983.
Around about 1993(I think) they did widen the road as it used to be fairly narrow.
I cannot comment about the trees you mentioned but i have also noticed certain trees gone but that happens all the time, what with lightening strikes and elephant pushing them over.
Just as a matter of interest one of my maps from the 1970's does not even show the S100.
This is also one of my 5 best roads and when I travel on it in November and January (my 2 favourite months) the traffic is not that bad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
I will be putting up new and improved cardboard clip outs on the S100 in September.
So be sure to check it out after the 15th of September. :twisted:

And could you get the CC's to stay still.
Some of them moved b4 I could focus. :huh:
And another (lion) was lying in the grass so we couldn't see him - just twitching a ear once in a while.
Please make sure the CC's are put in clear view or pay them enough so they do a proper job. :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Bôggerol happens on this S100. About every 15mins... and then it lasts for 30mins long.

Bôggerol also grows about this high *W™ shows with his hand palm down at about waist high* on this road.

I would go as far as to say that one can basically smear yourself with Mrs. Balls Chutney and bet your Nwanetsi picnic spot's gas braai deposit that not even a bee would strain your eyes with a sighting.

If you were to wait for your first sighting on that road before you were to crack your first beer, you would have a beard longer than a Menlyn Mall father christmas' fake one in early December.

You would have a coolerbox full of Bôggerol, because your cheap skate chum who didn't bring enough of his own beers on this trip would have cleaned it out long before you tick your first animal on the return road, the H6.

You will have a better chance of scoring a date with a Victoria Secret's lingerie model and have her bake you flap jacks the next morning before you can score a point with the spot-the-animal game on this road.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Satara nearby routes
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I tend to agree oddy, on our best of many lion sightings on the S100, we left Orpen at opening time and hit the S100 about 9h45, and came across this.

As most of you know, lion is not my favourite sighting, but I won't say no to riding in the middle of the pride!

Post subject: Re: The S100
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:49 am 

My family are in the Kruger at the moment and went the S100 a few times with a lot of game. They saw so many animals, normal things like zebra, giraffe, ellies, ect and then also cheetah on all occasions and lions with a giraffe kills as well as lions with a buffalo kills on a seperate occasion. Heards of buffalo were seen the day before the kill.

It's best to drive it early morning and late afternoon.....

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:58 am 

The S100 is a winner!
We visit the park every year and always stay at Satara for at least a week.
In that week we do the S100 at least 3 times and had always seen something special.
This year in August we saw a kill.
The next day at another spot on the S100 we found lion eating on a wildebeest carcass.

Last year we saw a leopard with a buck he killed.
After we watched some time, hyena came along and took the buck from the hyena!
Very interesting.

We never miss the S100!

DANIE. :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!
sunset on the S100

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next