SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: Best camps
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi all
I have not been to KTP since I was a kid. We are planning to go in September 2009. Which camps to the experienced KTP people reccomend?
Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

All of them

Seriously though, it would all depend on your "wish list" , and what you want out the visit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We would love to see the cats especially Chaatah and I'm into birding. But we are wild life fanatics, so what is your favourite camp & why? That would help us choose

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pjw, the first choice is between the "traditional" and the "wilderness" camps. If you can afford it, and you are an even number of travellers, then I would opt for the wilderness camps.

Having said that, with our small son, they're not an option for us. Of the traditional camps, my favourite is Nossob. I love that its in the middle of

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Restio. We are a family of 4 and the kids are teenagers, so the wilderness camps sound great for us

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

More questions!

1. How long do you plan to spend?

2. The distances are long, so to my mind a good itinerary must have some breathing space. I don't like to spend all day in the car, SO definitely doesn't, and CB (aged 5) basically can't. : I love spending time in the camps, birding, reading a book under a tree, sitting at a hide, staring into space.... My dad, on the other hand, likes to leave the gates when they open, and come back when they close. Different strokes... What do you like?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We plan to be there for a full 7 days. Our preference in Kruger is for early drives of about 3-4 hours with brekkie along the way somewhere. Then spend the heat of the day in camp checking out the wildlife in the camp and then a late afternoon drive of about 2 hours. I'm not sure how that would work in KTP as the distances are much greater

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can stay in any of the camps and do that and 7 days is great (14 will be even better but then you must be a bit of a KTP nut ). Just remember that KTP is not Kruger when you compare environment and game density.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Lirritma
I do remember as a kid not seeing as much game as Kruger, but we saw lots of cheetah and the lions seemed bigger than the ones in Kruger

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As lerritma says that will work just fine in KTP. It is basically what we do as well. There are picnic spots that you can get out at and have breakfast but just remeber there is nothing there except toliets and tables....no skottels or fridges stocked with cooldrinks.
If you would like to see both riverbeds I suggest something like
1 x Twee Rivieren
2 x Urikaruus
2 x Nossob
2 x Twee Rivieren
Depending on how far you have to travel to get to the park you can exchange the Twee Rivieren nights for Kielie Krankie.

Urikaruus is a great camp...the advantage being that you can drive north and south....and it is great for leopard and spotted hyena sightings.
Twee Rivieren to Kij Kij delivers many great lion sightings but is also not short on leopard sightings.

Nossob has also been kind to us in the past...many great cheetah and lion sightings....both north and south of Nossob

There are many more great camps to visit eg. Grootkolk but here you need a few more days . One normally sleeps over at Nossob en route to Grootkolk so for a 2 day stay at Grootkolk you would need a night either side at Nossob...so that adds up to 4 nights out of your 7.

There are many trips reports that you can read....it may help you to make up your mind as to which camp you would prefer.

See our June 2007 trip report here and Dec/Jan 2008 trip report here

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Michelle. I will be looking at trip reports once school holidays start and I have more me time and less mom's taxi time

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 pm 

Oh yes ...I know all about mom's taxi. You have a bit of time though because the bookings only open 12 months in advance. You will have to be quick if you want the unfenced camps though...especially Urikaruus...at only 4 chalets per unfenced camp( except Kalahari Tented Camp) they are obviously very quickly booked out. You are being wise in starting your research now...any more questions..please feel free to ask . Myself and all the other KTP Fanatics are sure to have the answers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Michelle

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pjw, agree with Michele. That's a great itinerary.

Urikaruus sounds superb by all accounts. If you can't get a booking there, then Kalahari Tented Camp is lovely.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

How about 3 nights at Nossob and the rest at Kalahari Tented Camp. If I had a week, thats what I would do

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next