Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Boardwalk Gericke's Point Wilderness
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:57 am 

:redface: Could the boardwalk at Gericke's Point please be repaired properly? It is very dangerous...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:00 pm 

Hi sons, welcome to the forums!

We are trying to get some feedback for you here :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
sons, your pictures don't explain well enough what the problem is. Could you please explain to us in a few words?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:14 pm 

:shock: Hi Wildtuinman, thought the pics were self explanatory. Some of the planks of the boardwalk were obviously rotten or broken and someone just banged another half plank on top of the broken/existing ones, not removed the old and replaced with new as would have been the correct way to do it. Now you have level/height differences and someone can easily slip or get tripped by this difference on the walking surface. It amazes me that an accident has not happened already and if it has that no one alerted SAN Parks. By law, if you provide public access you are obliged to keep it well maintained and safe for users.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Is this walk way slightly angled, meaning: Does it go uphill @ this point where the planks are timbered on top of each other?

Are these planks stacked on top of each other every once in a while or is there no pattern linked to it?

I unfortunately could not make out a rotten plank from your pictures, that's why I want you to explain to us in more detail what the problem is.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:00 pm 

Hi, it leads down from the car park to the beach, quite a difference in heights, so yes, its fairly 'angled'. No pattern, just where slats were broken it was 'fixed' in this weird way.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
sons wrote:
Hi, it leads down from the car park to the beach, quite a difference in heights, so yes, its fairly 'angled'. No pattern, just where slats were broken it was 'fixed' in this weird way.

I was just wondering if there was some purpose to this method. I am talking under complete correction here, but i have seen many wooden walk ways with slats timbered on top of another as to give a helpful step on an angle, especially when the walk way is slippery. :?

Post subject: Poor path
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm 

Goodness, dont let Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife read this. The paths in the Drakensberg are poor, unmaintained and dangerous. The fact that I have only one eye which sees poorly does not help. Yet, something in me would die if EKZNW barred walking (fearing law-suits) on these paths in these mountains I love so dearly.

Hiking and walking is a dangerous activity and the user of a path must take responsibilty for his own safety on any trail. Walking without looking where you are going is simply not on!