Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:28 pm 

Hi TM SAG

Good going on the arrest.

Here's a link to a collaborated crime map in New York done in Google Maps so you can see how its done on a large scale.

Here's the 2nd attack on Skeleton Gorge as you suggested, I forget exactly where the second ladder is?. Its been a while. Click on the balloon to see the details of the mugging. Google maps has an option to collaborate (you just send an invite to the email adresses you want.) What do you think? The sattellite imagery of the mountain is pretty sharp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: Well done to all involved in arresting the muggers -- way to go :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Newland Forest Attack
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:52 am 

So 4 criminals are arrested and we have another attack on the periphery of Newlands Forest not days later.

Be careful along the cycle track that borders the M3 past Newlands Forest. There was another attack there on Saturday morning - 8 March. The attacker was caught and arrested. Technically this falls outside of the actual Park but needs to be included in Police investigations. Claremont Police Station are investigating and CT Central has been notified. The lady who was attacked was jogging alone (08h00) and was carrying pepper spray at the time. This proved useless as the attacker threw and hit her on the back of the head (4 stitches) with a rock. No time to use spray - she just ran to get away. She tried to flag down cars on the M3 but no-one stopped (what is it with our society today?). Eventually 2 MTB cyclists helped her and also managed to capture the criminal. Not sure who they are yet - but well done to them and some of the TOP FORM runners who also helped her.

Post subject: Google Maps
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:12 am 

Richard this is brilliant stuff!! I'm going to use this at the next SAPS meeting - with a projector and 3G - and blow them away. What was that TV program called - where the chief of police used this stuff so effectively in NY I think? Same thing here. Thanks very much - perhaps you want to come along to drive the computer? Seriously! Cheers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
p@m wrote:
:clap: :clap: Well done to all involved in arresting the muggers -- way to go :clap: :clap:
Careful p@m & TM SAG, they are 'suspects' :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:20 pm 

We are planning a trip from Canada to visti the Cape Town area. Is the park safe to visit???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Cape Town is quite safe provided you have your wits about you, and don't go to remote places alone, or the usual big city 'hot spots' that occur in any big city.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:13 pm 

Hi Linlou from Canada

I've only just seen your query so you may already be in Cape Town (or have left). In case you are still on the way then here is our take as regards safety and security on Table Mountain. No-one can guarantee that you will be entirely safe on the mountain. Not just from a security (crime) perspective but also in terms of mountain safety (falling off a cliff or suffering from heat exhaustion). The main thing is to be prepared!! When you get here call me on 082 568 6562 and we will help you with (insider) tips on where to go and what to look out for. Table Mountain is a "mountain" and this is often ignored in the excitement of wanting to climb it. Its a little like Central Park in a way. Its located right in the middle of Cape Town - It is beautiful (no, awesome in places) but also dangerous in places. So, like anywhere in the world you just have to be aware and properly prepared to have a good time. Call us please.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 pm 

While we are on the subject - over the Easter Weekend we saw a car being broken into at Platteklip and a robbery at Newlands Forest by a "20 year old in a red T shirt". Not too hectic for a long weekend with lots of people on the mountain.

Be aware out there. Look around you when you walk - on Saturday last we found a new shelter where someone has been sleeping / living. It was not there just after Christmas when we last walked past the spot. Report even the strangest sightings - it all adds up for us.

Amazing weather here right now. Hopefully it lasts for the weekend. I think I'll take another walk up there.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:03 pm 

This is legitimate. Permission has been granted for the protest. Its time to stand up and be counted. Wear BLACK and be there. I will be.

Sent: 02 April 2008 04:38 PM

Subject: Silent peaceful protest against bail for serious crime offenders Mon 7 Apr 08h30 outside Wynberg Court

Monday morning past was the first court appearance of the two suspects allegedly found in possession of the hi-jacked vehicle belonging to the female Tokai resident who was recently so brutally beaten up in the Tokai Forest. The appearance ended successfully with the said suspects being kept in custody until their bail hearing scheduled for Monday the 7th of April 2008.

Our vision is to have 1000’s of people at the Wynberg Magistrates Court for this bail hearing taking place on the 7th of April 2008 from 8:30am to 11:00am. We would like to have community residents filling the court house from the inside out and then having them standing holding hands all the way around the court house and throughout the vicinity of the courts. We want to peacefully show that we are no longer prepared to be victims – the justice system needs to start taking action against and to deny bail to all and any violent offenders - criminals need to find another country to go to.

If we can have 1000’s of people protesting to stop the trees in Tokai forest from being cut down then we can have 1000’s of people protecting their rights to walk safely in Tokai forest!!! Please we need you!

On the 21st of March 2008, a 58 year old Tokai resident was hi jacked and assaulted just outside of Tokai forest at 5pm. She was accosted by 2 gun wielding men whilst walking her dogs. Not only was she violently attacked, but the hi-jackers allegedly fired 2 shots off right next to her head to shut her up. They took off with her car and valuables. On Friday afternoon 28 March in a joint operation between SAPS Diep River, Metro and Traffic, 2 men were arrested allegedly in possession of the Tokai resident's hi-jacked vehicle. For your interest, according to SAPS one of the accused has 5 awaiting trial cases, (4 for narcotics and 1 for house breaking) and has 4 previous convictions, (2 for narcotics and 2 for theft).

The only way we can make a difference is if we all stand together – We will be endeavouring to get all media to attend this event so we need to have the whole of Cape Town there!

This MUST be a peaceful protest and we must collectively be deafening in our silence as we stand together in absolute SILENCE on the day.

So if you can please help us:

When: 07 April 2008

Time: 8:30am to 11:00am

Where: Wynberg magistrate’s court (meet on pavement opposite court against Maynardville pavement fence)

Wear black.

For more info please call Kelly Burke, spokesperson on 082 498 2797

Please note – no placards or posters that are degrading or against the Constitution of SA will be allowed or tolerated – we must remain within the law and not allow the powers that be, to point a finger at residents in ANY way what-so-ever.

Please send following sms to 10 contacts – “pls forward to 10 contacts – peaceful silent protest against bail for violent offenders Mon 7 Apr 08h30 to 11h00 outside Wynberg Court. Wear black – NB quiet peaceful protest.”

Post subject: Table Mountain National Park Rangers
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:54 am 

I hate to sound negative but want to share an experience I had recently on Lions Head a week or so ago. 3 of us went to Climb a route (Rock Climbing) and to reach the start of our route had to leave the "normal" path on the N/W corner. On our way up at the first rockband, we found a cave and it was obvious that someone was living in it. (Blankets, pile of firewood, recently used fireplace). After our climb on the way down we met 2 Rangers with a dog and I thought I had better mention the cave. I may as well have been speaking Arabic. The male ranger just did not seem to comprehend what I was talking about or what he was expected to do and the female ranger , who seemed to understand a bit better, was very obese and appeared to be in a state of physical exhaustion, sitting at the side of the path where the path from the Kramat meets the usual path up. She said they would look into it, however I really got the feeling that this was just to get rid of me.

Post subject: Lions Head - Hiding Places
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:16 pm 

Hi Alex

I saw this same "cave" and photographed it about 2 months ago. I was told by TMNP Security management that they were fully aware of it. Obviously not all of the rangers it seems. To me that cave and the rock wall seemed to have been built recently (last 6 months) and looked well used and quite comfortable. I suspect it is the same one because it is on the same level you guys climb on and on the same NW side. If you don't mind though I'm going to pass your message on to Brett (Head of TMNP) and Paddy (Head of TMNP North). I must say, sadly that we get these messages all the time and that some of the rangers are not model representatives of what one would expect of a "security ranger". We pass on the messages in the hope that they are seen as positive - in the hope that it will engender improvement too - but I must say we have not seen that much. To be quite honest we are growing tired of the inaction and lack of progress by SAN-Parks. An example is the facility at Kloof Nek which was donated by The City late last year - and 6 months later (6!!!) there is still no electricity, telephone, toilet or even basic signage up - to tell visitors what it is and what role it plays. Its a faceless hut with the same ill prepared ranger sitting in it - sometimes fast asleep too. A frustrating experience for us - dealing with parastatals who seemingly have other priorities. In the mean time however, please let us know about the unusual things you spot while out there climbing. Like you just did. We record these - using Google Maps now ... thanks to Richard (:>) - and pass them on to TMNP and to SAPS if necessary - so its vital stuff. Cheers - Andre

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
At the risk of sounding biased and repetative, some people just want a job, and not to give it is discriminatory. I go to a gym, and there are fat people working there. I asked questions and was given some rubbish about culture. There are enough fit people out there who fit the criteria, but you cannot exclude anyone on the grounds of weight for a 'health' or physically demanding job. Strange.
I also caught the train with a policewoman who was so rotund that I am sure she could only waddle a few metres, no wonder criminals get away - they are fitter.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Congrats on all the great work you are doing

I am with the Kirstenhof Crime watch and managed to arrest a "guy" stealing a 4x4 wheel from a vehicle on Monday evening whilst on patrol

Its small steps but we all must get involved

Regards

Steve

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:30 pm 

Well done Mashona :D :clap: :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next