Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: "Hot Spots" for sightings in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:12 pm 
Moved here.

I don't know if other forumites have had similar experiences over the years, but there are certain specific localities in the Park that have brought me great rewards, time and again! :shock:

They are not necessarily famous, but seem to be lucky for me... :?

An example: The junction of the S1 an S7 dirt roads North of Numbi, where I have seen both rhino species, cheetah, elephant, buffalo, sable etc.

The point is not necessarily seeing "big stuff", but always "some stuff"! :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Its one of those odd things, places that you regard as special. I have always found the S1 rather dull!

Perhaps my favourite is the Mahonie loop; lion, cheetah, caracal (only once!), buffalo, kudu, nyala, common duiker, Sharpe's grysbok etc etc. And even when these don't turn up, birdlife is there in abundance to make up.

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:40 pm 

H4-1 Sabie River road between LS and Skukuza.

This is true for both animal traffic and human traffic. Unfortunately the latter has spoiled many sightings of the former.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pjw wrote:
My favourite place is Renosterkoppies dam. I have yet to go there and see nothing. There is always small stuff and birds at the water hole to entertain us and on many occasions we have seen big 5 game there

One of my favorite hotspots aswell Pjw, an awesome place :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I am racking my brains and no spot comes to mind that I have been lucky regularly. Each trip is VASTLY different and sometimes, for instance, the S100 is full of life, other times it is deserted.

The right place at the right time, is how it works, now can someone predict it successfully for me please :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 pm 

I must admit, I have to agree with BB,
I am also battling to try and think of one single road that has consistently produced great or extra special sightings. :?
We have seen great things at one place and then not seen anything there for years on end and visa versa.
So once again, as far as I'm concerned, its all about the timing and the old cliche of right place at the right time, I'm afraid. :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm 

I've found lion 2 out of 3 at the junction of the S100 and S41.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:01 pm 

An early drive on the tar road from Satara to Olifants (outside of school holidays) is almost always a great drive - may not see exceptionally rare sightings (even though i once saw sidestriped jackal as well as honey badger within 2 kms), but can always count on this road for hyena, lion, jackal, elephant and large raptors.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 pm 

Hi Perks.

Leopard, according to the other members have been seen in and around the Letaba areas.

WTM (I think) said he saw one at Das Neaves cross just slightly north of Letaba on the way to the Matambeni hide and Longwe lookout.

Also have been informed that leopard has been spotted on the S93 just outside of Olifants. (GS, I think gave me this piece of info).

I understand that they have been seen on the H9 just outside of Letaba.

Don't get your hopes too high though, they are very difficult to find and see and it is very much a case of right place, right time. (Luck).

Just go to the park to enjoy it. Letaba is a favourite among many of us. It really is a great camp.

Make a plan to visit the ellie museum at Letaba. Very interesting.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Matambeni hide is a MUST in Letaba area. Saw leopard on that road also.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
BunnyHugger wrote:
Leopard, according to the other members have been seen in and around the Letaba areas.

WTM (I think) said he saw one at Das Neaves cross just slightly north of Letaba on the way to the Matambeni hide and Longwe lookout.

Correct. And a big boy it was! Also on the gravel road on your left as you exit the gate. Saw a mother and a cub there.

I really rate Letaba as a leopard camp. :wink:

Other good leopard spots are:
The H4-1 10km south and 10km north of Lower Sabie.
The Marula loop.
The Mahonie loop, within 5km's as you get onto it from your right as you exit Punda.

There used to be one living in the drainage pipe under the H6, exactly to the dot 6km's from the turnoff from the H1-3.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 am 

for me salitje road has to be the hot spot, seen lion with new born to cheetah on many occassions.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Have travelled the H6 many times and once saw an elephant and another time a lappet faced vulture at Sonop waterhole :roll:

Recently learnt about the trick of staying 10 minutes after a herd of buffs cross the road waiting for any following lions, but have not had the opportunity yet.

Have had a few good sighting along the H6 aswell, ostriches, elephant, lions (15 all together) hyena's (4) , zebra, big herd of buffalo (300), gnu's, you name it. And BB, another positive from sonop :D love it :D

The buffalo lion trick is indeed true, had the same at Pretoriuskop :roll:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:08 pm 

Hey all!

Nice thread :D !

I agree with majority, have seen plenty of leopard from Letaba :mrgreen: and best spot for us has been at junction of the sand road and tar road 100m outside main gate of Letaba...Seen two leopard sightings a year apart, A male lion, Hyena's and a porcupine during the day:)!

Another is the Renoster pan turnoff on the H3. About hundred metres along this route is like a hot spot :mrgreen:

Highlights include :D :

2 x Side striped jackals playing in road

Pack of 8 Wild dogs in road

A single Lichtensteins hartebeest, Perhaps rarest thing to see in the park, animal wise!

Lots of White Rhino's

Hyena's

...All before even reaching the waterhole!

So many but another is right outside Berg-en-Dal at junction between tar road leading to camp and the s110... literally 50 metres outside camp:

4 of big Five in this one spot over a period of about 5 years (Leopard on rock, Male Lion, White Rhino and Elephant)

Another "Magic" spot is about 5km after Bangu waterhole on S90 heading South. Have seen Caracal there, along with serval, lions, A really big elle tusker and Rhino.

Have also seen Jackal and Hyena's at a natural depression about 200m along s93 coming from Olifants on just about every occassion we have ventured along this route!

*Note :) : Amazing place is Low level Bridge near Balule across Olifants... Seen plenty of critters there to!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately i have not seen leopard at letaba for a very long time but probably the reason is because we havent stayed there for 3 years. The one place that i do feel is a leopard hot spot is from the intersection of the s110 and the H3 up untill the s121 intersects the H3, we saw leopard there twice this month. :D

The H6 for me has always been very productive , especially sightings of jackals, seen wild dog there over the years, large herds of buffalo, lion and hyena. We were even lucky enough to watch a jackal running around trying to catch birds.

A hot spot for me still has to be the famous S100, its a road that you can drive on one day and see almost nothing and you drive on it the following day and see two lots of lion on the same road! :shock: as well as a herd of buffalo and plenty of elephant.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle