Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 34
 [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all :D

Im gald to see you cant wait for the the preparations! Ndloti, it very much depends on your budget. I read in the 'weg' that the E3 eclipse was quite good (they tested it on the Olifants trail...and it (only) costed R770 in Sept 2006, so maybe R850 now, and weights 1, 8 kg. If all the waiting members have confirmed, I'll do some comparisons, then Im going to buy my first leightweight solo tent!

Last edited by G@mespotter on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
G@mespotter wrote:
:lol: :lol: @ WTM....other grapgatte being Scipio, Bucky and Brother :lol: :lol:

8)

Hey, I only have a sense of humor because I have to deal with said okes above. :twisted:

Cause if I didn't have a sense of humor I would probably have slit my ankles by now. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:28 am 

Is net so WTM.

Without some sense of humour I would have blunt teeth from chewing my wrists. (I have long since been banned from having sharp instruments anywhere near me.)

GS. Do you mean I have to carry my own tent on this thing, as well as Ndlotis armchair? :shock:

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BunnyHugger wrote:
GS. Do you mean I have to carry my own tent on this thing, as well as Ndlotis armchair? :shock:

JIP! Looks like he has caught you there :wink: Leightweight is the answer here...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:06 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BunnyHugger wrote:
Without some sense of humour I would have blunt teeth from chewing my wrists. (I have long since been banned from having sharp instruments anywhere near me.)

wildtuinman wrote:
Cause if I didn't have a sense of humor I would probably have slit my ankles by now. :lol:

Is this the Forum Sorro Team ? :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:15 am 

Net as WTM aanhou op die draad sit (that is the right word?)

(Only if WTM continues to sit on the fence).

WTM, without you we will be an incomplete bunch of hooglians.

It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

G@mespotter wrote:
Hi all :D

Im gald to see you cant wait for the the preparations! Ndloti, it very much depends on your budget. I read in the 'weg' that the E3 eclipse was quite good (they tested it on the Olifants trail...and it (only) costed R770 in Sept 2006, so maybe R850 now, and weights 1, 8 kg. If all the waiting members have confirmed, I'll do some comparisons, then Im going to buy my first leightweight solo tent!

Hehe, couldn't wait...so I went to 5 'outdoor' shops! Saw a nice 2 persons tent @ outdoors, called Leightweight 2, weighted 1,8 kg and costed R650 and was mainly made for: mild to extreme South African conditions. Saw a nice backpack (rucksack) of 55l , weighted 2,3 kg and costed R550 - not too bad IMHO. If you start early with buying stuff, you can still get some nice specials! If im buying stuff, its better you buy proper, and would be able to use it on a next trip (eg the 'VIS' hiking trail).

Guys, this stuff is cool! 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:14 pm 

G@mespotter wrote:
Hehe, couldn't wait...so I went to 5 'outdoor' shops!

Ahem, and here I was thinking you were out twisting WTM's arm to join us, or at the very least, to be organising this trail.

G@mespotter wrote:

Leightweight 2, R650
backpack R55l
use it on a next trip (eg the 'VIS' hiking trail),
Priceless.

I'll weigh last tent purchased tonight and see what it weighs beforemaking any decisions on that one. My air mattress probably weighs more than the tent.

Ndloti, you'll have to carry your own dam armchair.

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BH, I can multitask, so im planning the trail, twisting WTM (and the rests' ) arm looking for tents, studying etc ---- :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 pm 

And the shopping spree was just a minor distraction?

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject: Olifants backpacking trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Okay Bunnyhugger , but will you carry my bag of Krugers heaviest , best combretum imberbe firewood sourced from the nearest tourist shop ?
Remember , no firewood collection in wilderness areas .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BunnyHugger wrote:
And the shopping spree was just a minor distraction?

You got that right :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:46 pm 

I really wish I could do the forum group trail outing, but unfortunately I don't think I could get enough time off to be able to go next year. However, I do hope that this becomes a tradition so that I can go in the future.

I have to say that South Africa really seems like a great place to do some hiking and backpacking (or trekking as I believe some Europeans call it). In fact, I would venture to say that SA could become a world-class destination for this sort of activity. Where else in the world besides the Olifants trail can you go backpacking in the African wilderness, without paying a fortune? I've looked, and I couldn't find anywhere else. To me, that experience alone is worth the $1500 for an airline ticket.

I've been around the American hiking/backpacking culture for many years, and I think SANParks has a product that would really appeal to this group once they hear about it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

cougar wrote:
I really wish I could do the forum group trail outing, but unfortunately I don't think I could get enough time off to be able to go next year. However, I do hope that this becomes a tradition so that I can go in the future.

I've been around the American hiking/backpacking culture for many years, and I think SANParks has a product that would really appeal to this group once they hear about it.

Hi Cougar,

I'm glad to read your support for such a walk! (And hiking in SA in general) :clap: I definitely agree with you about this trail being a super one..

Its sad to read about an enthusiast who likes (this) trail(s). You know what, if there is still space availible by then, we would be delighted to have you with us, so if there is a chance you might be able to come with, do not hesitate to write here :). I guess as a first attempt things are going well, and maybe in future it might work out to be a tradition. I like the thinking! I guess I'd be in for a second walk...altough I haven't even done the first one :wink:

As an experienced trailist any handy tips?

Regards,

Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:33 am 

cougar wrote:

Hi Cougar.

I'm convinced that it could become an annual pilgrimage.

cougar wrote:
I have to say that South Africa really seems like a great place to do some hiking and backpacking (or trekking as I believe some Europeans call it). In fact, I would venture to say that SA could become a world-class destination for this sort of activity.

It is a fanastic place. There a re number of trails that one can backpack, ranging from fairly easy to very difficult.

cougar wrote:
Where else in the world besides the Olifants trail can you go backpacking in the African wilderness, without paying a fortune? I've looked, and I couldn't find anywhere else. To me, that experience alone is worth the $1500 for an airline ticket.

The Mestsi Metsi trail, the Bushman trail, The Sweni Trail are just some of those on offer in KNP. We''l have to twist GS's arm to make those the next in the annual seriesand I'm convinced you will join us on at least a few of them.

cougar wrote:

I'v never done one of the walking trails but have long been interested. Kruger is great from a car, it can only be plenty times better on foot.

Check out our trip report and we'll convince you to get all yor mates interested in the hiking trails in the KNP.

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next