Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Table Mountain - Safety and Security
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:39 pm 

I'd like to start up a new topic regarding safety and security on Table Mountain specifically. Security aspects concern all anti-crime related activities, comments, ideas and suggestions. Safety relates to "mountain safety" and focuses on the kind of information all visitors should be aware of before they walk, hike or climb Table Mountain. We started the Table Mountain Safety Action Group (hence TM SAG) in February 2007 - and are working closely with TMNP management as well as SAPS on these issues. We desperately need more people to assist and become involved and are in the process of developing our 2008 Plan which should see a more formal approach and lots of opportunities for people who want to get involved. So, lets start talking (at least) and as we go I'll explain more about what we are already doing - and how you can help. My name is Andre and I live in Hout Bay (Cape Town).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Andre

Welcome and I´m glad you´ve found the forum

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Welcome from me too, André. There's a whole herd of people who *heart* Table Mountain and will love to do what they can to assist.

Post subject: Introduction to Observation Post - Saturday
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:44 pm 

Thanks for the welcome. I see people are "viewing" the topic already but not really commenting yet. I'd like to extend an invitation to anyone wanting to know more about what we do to accompany us up to one of our Observation Posts (on Oppelskop) on Saturday afternoon between 16h00 and 18h00. Weather permitting of course and so far it looks good. That's this weekend the 16th February 2008. We meet at the end of Tafelberg Road (past the Lower Cable Car Station) between 15h30 to leave at 16h00. Its a 35 minute walk up - not to strenuous but wear good hiking shoes and sun hat / sun screen. Bring lots of water along and stuff to eat. If you have a pair of binoculars then bring them along. We have 5 Observation Posts in various areas on the mountain - but lets start with Oppelskop. See you there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You must understand, TM SAG, that some of us who are viewing this topic live somewhat too far away to join you — but that doesn't mean that we are not interested! Welcome to this international forum! :wink:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi TM SAG, and welcome to the forums! :D

arks is right that this is forum for people around the world. :) But some of us do live in Cape Town! :lol: And the rest of them are insanely jealous, of course. ;-) (Check my location)

Thanks for the invitation to join you - I may well come along in the future, but right at the moment I have family visiting from Australia.

Post subject: Mountain Safety
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:53 am 

Hello Again, we appreciate the fact that the forum is an international one for sure. One of our major objectives is to ensure foreign (and expat :) ) visitors are aware of and fully appreciate safety and security issues on the mountain - before they enter the park. People generally underestimate the mountain and end up getting hurt or worse. Once again this season we have been faced with unfortunate and horrific incidents which people seem to forget when they attempt Platteklip Gorge in high heels (I kid you not!) or they end up in Echo Valley suffering from heat exhaustion with no sun hat or water on them. Its not fun stretchering someone off the Mountain at 0200am in a raging South Easter - because they didn't plan their "afternoon walk" properly (she survived). So, if you do live overseas, help us by informing potential visitors that Table Mountain is a fantastic place but that it is a fully fledged "mountain" after all and as such must be respected because in the blink of an eye it can become a very, very wild place. (Andre - TMSAG)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:32 pm 

Welcome TM SAG .. Great you joined and thank you for the info :thumbs_up:

For more info check this page .. Compliments from TM SAG and p@m sending it to us ..

Thank you both

Table Mountain - Safety and Security

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum TM SAG -- good to have you here.
Please report back on your trip to the observation post on Saturday. Much as I'd love to join you, am unable to do so this Sat.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 am 

In the news:

Quote:
Helicopter joins mountain crime fight
If it proves successful, the helicopter, from SA National Parks, may be permanently used around Table Mountain.

Link to article.

Post subject: Visit to Oppelskop on Saturday 16 February 2008
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:51 am 

We had 3 new people join us on Saturday (16 Feb) for the Observation Session up at Oppelskop. All in all 7 of us were present from 16h00 to about 18h00 or so - observing the surroundings and watching for any suspicious activities.

Now for the bad news - while we were doing this two Swedish tourists were robbed (at knifepoint) near Signal Hill on Saturday at about 15h50. The incident was only reported to police on Sunday afternoon (not sure why yet) and when we checked in at the Kloofnek Visitor Safety Centre (at 15h30) no-one there was aware of anything yet.

So, bad news. We still have a long way to go to effectively combat these criminals. Be careful out there. Be aware of your surroundings and the people close to you. Use the numbers provided in this forum to immediately report strange behaviour.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:56 pm 

Hi Guys

I have an idea. Why don't we drop the coordinates of the attacks onto google maps / google earth? Create a blog with the map embedded? If I had the positions I could create it in minutes, it could also be downloaded to cell phone so you can view it while walking, with a gps on the phone this would be valuable for real time updating. What do you think?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm 

TMNP Rangers nailed 4 suspects today in Skeleton Gorge - with stolen goods on them.

Also More recents attacks:

1. Attack Skeleton Gorge : Monday 25 Feb : 2 black guys : Czechoslovakian Doctor robbed of small amount cash and watch : he refused to open a case.

2. Skeleton Gorge - near 2nd ladder: Friday 29 Feb : 2 black guys : 2 black guys : Swedish and German Tourists robbed of camera: case opened Claremont police station

More Good News: An arrest was made of the person who robbed the lady of her bike on Tafelberg road. Detectives are following up but they think that the guy may be linked to some of the Skeleton attacks.

Some Good News for a Change

Post subject: Google Maps
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:30 pm 

Hi Richard

Perhaps you can plot the attack above - the Skeleton Gorge one near the 2nd ladder. How would you do this? We have a meeting with SAPS on Friday morning and I'd like to show them the process. We have a massive Anti-Crime Map of the entire TM area. This is overlaid with the standard map studio coordinates so for example: Kloofnek Visitor Safety Centre can be found on Page 51 CD 20. Its a 1:20,000 map so the detail is not great but enough to pin a location down fairly close.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the feedback, TM SAG.

Good work on the arrests. :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next