Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Addo: Children Visiting
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:18 am 

Hi everybody!
We are planning to visit Addo with two kids (6-8 years) in April.
I have few safety issues questions:
The youngest will be nearly 6 years old (2 months before his 6th birthday) by that time. Can anybody advise me if we can take him on a game drive arranged by the park or is the "children above 6 years" rule strictly applied? Can we walk with our kids on the shorter walking tracks? When on self drive in the park, can we get out of the car only at permitted areas or we can stop anywhere on the track?
Thanks.
Renata

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:43 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Rojda,
You can contact the game drive office in the Park to discuss taking your almost-6 yr old on the drive. Email them on addogamedrives@sanparks.org

The PPC Trail in the Main Camp is fine for children. The Main Camp is separated from the game area by a fence, so there is no danger from large animals on this trail. There is also a one hr trail up on the mountain at Zuurberg which should be fine for children. Be sure to watch your footing when you are walking as there are rocks etc. along the trail and it is in a mountainous area.

You may only get out of your car when inside the game area at the designated points - Zuurkop lookout, Domkrag Dam, Kadouw Lookout and Spekboom Hide. Even at these points, please have a look around before you get out of the car to make sure that there are no large animals around.

Enjoy your visit!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Rojda

Addo is a great park to visit with kids. You need not be concerned. The trail in camp is perfectly safe as it is fenced in and separate from the game aea. Inside the game area you are premitted to get out only at designated areas if the area is safe - signs are posted at these areas. Always have a look around the area before getting out. Anywhere else oin the game arera it is an offense to get out and can be quite dangreous as there are dangerous animals around.

I'm not 100 % sure but I don't think they are going to worry about the 2 months. Contact Addo via e-mail /phone to confirm.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes, please look carefully when you get out of the car. The Addo bush is quite thick and high and there might be Ellies or, even the lions, around. We were warned in the beginning of Jan not to get out of the car at Zuurkop as a lion moch charged someone who were standing outside. We got them shortly thereafter less than 100m away from the lookout (which is a great place from where to scan the park). Spekboom hide is the only one with toilet fasilities so keep that in mind when you plan your route.
Enjoy your visit!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:40 pm 

Thank you for your very practical information.
We are looking forward to our first trip to South Africa :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rojda, and welcome to the forums! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I went back to the look-out and took this one towards the lions next to the lower road to Carol's Rest.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:56 pm 

I was looking towards Carols Rest with my Binos standing 30 metres from my car when out of the side of my eye I was aware of movement just adjacent to the car park...thrilling stuff.....needless to say I didnt really care about the correct exposure into the sun!! :shock:

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Exposure looks fine to me Peter - how was your undies? :lol: I've also noted that people like to get out at Domkrag dam and stand around in the parking area. I think it's very dangerous. The bush is so close and you will never know what is behind it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:42 pm 

Location: Addo - Southern Gate, where elephants left their footprint
Quote:
I've also noted that people like to get out at Domkrag dam and stand around in the parking area.

We were at Domkrag on Sunday and while driving in noticed a jackal about 2metres into the bush.
It then moved around the bush towards the front viewing area. Some folks were out of their car looking at it from where the cable stops them going into the bush.
If a jackal can do this then what stops something bigger like a lion moving in close?????

Post subject: Pool area at Addo
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:33 pm 

Is there sufficient shade at the swimming pool, or should we bring a beach shade along for the kids?

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Rooikat, there is some shade but not very much, I would take along something, just in case. Remember the sunscreen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Remember the sunscreen.

I would also suggest hats for the kids if they're not used to the African sun!

Post subject: Advice on Kid-Friendly Reasonably Priced Game Viewing
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:26 pm 

Hi :) Have one-month in SA with 9 and 5 year olds. We would appreciate anyone's advice on game parks/reserves with big 4 or 5 that have kid friendly game drives/walks and that are reasonably priced. We do have reservation at Addo for 5 nights but are having trouble figuring out other parks in Garden Route, Karoo, Eastern Cape area. Thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: Advice on Kid-Friendly Reasonably Priced Game Viewing
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:24 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi tonydavid
In Addo, you can hire a hop on guide if you want a guided experience that's more flexible than a guided game drive on the landrovers (and children under 6 yrs are not allowed on these landrovers). There's also the swimming pool, Discovery trail, underground hide and floodlit waterhole to keep them busy.

Mountain Zebra National Park is 2 and half hours drive from Addo and has buffalo, cheetah, black rhino plus Cape mountain zebra and various antelope species. The family cottages there are really cosy for families.

Karoo National Park near Beaufort West is also a great place for families. Its not a big game viewing park (although there are antelope, zebra etc.) but you can look at fossils on the Fossil Trail, learn about medicinal plants on the Bossie Trail and visit the Interpretive Centre with its wealth of info on the history and cultural heritage of the area.