View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Johan van Rensburg wrote:
Pleased as punch with this sighting!

It does not matter where you saw it - consider yourself extremely lucky with this sighting. I'm jealous. Seeing a brown hyena is one of my wishes I still hope to see come true.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
It was well known in the Kruger Park earlier this centuary, but there have been few recent records.

It does not rule them out, but it gives little encouragement.

Here's some encouragement: a brown hyaena was seen (and photographed) in the Makeppies section of Thornybush Private Game Reserve two days ago. Thornybush is contiguous with the Timbavati, which in turn is contiguous with the KNP. So pretty close, in other words.

Johan

Post subject: Brown Hyena in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:29 pm 

Hi all.

On our last trip to kruger, mys sister purchased herself the latest map, at the back are a couple of birds and animals one can find in the park. I see they have added the Brown Hyena.

Has any one on this forum ever seen a Brown Hyena in the kruger? I have visted Kruger a number of time and have never even heard of one being spotted.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:12 pm 

I would imagine ,if they are indeed a resident of the park, they would be found up north???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:00 pm 

I believe the last one was seen in the KNP in the 1920's. The 2 species habitat does overlap but the Spotted always out competes the Brown....historically, i think they were there as nomads.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:27 pm 

Must agree aquilla, a cold beer or glass off Red while sitting on the verandor in the bush, does tend to go down especially well.

I would think, Brownies are really shy, and the Kruger is rather busy, not only with all the guests but also with other preditors, lions, leopards, other hyenas, therefore I couldnt imagine them being a resident species. But prehaps, as said earlier, only passing through.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 am 

At the risk of sounding stoopid, I don't think that Brown Hyena inhabit KNP.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
They do inhabit KNP, but as far as I remember they've never been seen by anyone I know. :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

davegrohl wrote:
Apparently there is a den just northwest of the Orpen Camp, in the Timbavati concession area (towards Ngala), so i would presume that anyone who has seen one would have seen it around Orpen.

Right, I checked up on this, and got the following response from somebody who ought to know

"Nope. Never one mention during my 5 years there – nor since, nor in the 10 years prior. No indication either (the tracks are different in that the ratio between fore and hind is more marked than in the spotted). Spotted hyaena density there is very high as is lion density and this would preclude brown hyaenas. If they are there it is a well kept secret. Records from the park since the predator eradication regime are few and far between. The only place I would expect them is in the northwest.

Incidentally, just northwest of Orpen is the core part of a lion pride and there is a hyaena clan that dens just on the edge of this pride’s territory. The central Kruger is very unlikely to throw up browns I would have thought
."

I think that should settle it.

Johan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There are reports of Brown Hyena in Northern KNP.

This is an area with lower lion population. Brown Hyena are well known nomads. The Hyena that have been seen in that area are probably animals that wonder in from surrounding areas. No den sites or young has been reported.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: Brown Hyena
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have been told that a brown hyena road kill in Pafuri section was reported in a KNP annual report of a number of years back .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some more information:

"there are a few brown hyaenas that move in the foothills of the escarpment. Makalali has a decent population. Basically where spotted hyaenas have been eradicated I think it opens a gap for the browns. Machadodorp and the general Steenkampsberg have a healthy population while the Orighstad / Lydenburg area is a stronghold."

Johan

Post subject: Brown Hyena
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:21 pm 
To try and settle the argument, my humble opinion:

Brown hyena have been surviving all accross the old Transvaal Lowveld area forever, end of story.

They are rare marginal visitors from what appears to be the predator-free foothills of the Drakensberg, as far as Kruger is concerned!

Similarly, I believe there is a struggling population in the far Northern area, also dependent upon predator populations.

Anything South of Orpen is rubbish, not because of the "den", but because I think the possible "corridor" provided by the explosion of game farms in the area has made it easier for them to approach.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:43 pm 

As an interesting footnote:

Some Brown Hyena were collared in Rietvlei nature reserve in Pretoria, as to study their habits in the reserve. The collared animals soon disappeared.

One was spotted in Suikerbosrand near Heidelberg, another was found dead as a road kill somewhere in North West province and another just vanished!

This is typical behaviour, as the nomad males are the ones that do the mating, not the resident males.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
The lions of Kgalagadi, have become large, and probably weigh about 75% more than the Kruger counterpart that walked past my window last month.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe the heaviest wild lion ever properly weighed in SA was the so-called Boyela male from Kruger. 254 kg on an empty stomach.

And to get back on topic, the heaviest recorded brown hyaena is apparently the Germiston male, which was caught there in the 90s and moved to Shamwari. 47 kg. A real skulker, despite his weight. It took considerable effort to locate him in Shamwari. He was lying flat dog and ears back under a bush, I almost stepped on the thing before I saw these two big eyes staring right up at me.

Johan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next