Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:47 am 

Sundays in Upington - the whole town is closed as far as I know. After all this is the place where the town council chose the butcher's shop as "an acreditied tourist attraction", and they have people in the foyer who greet you as you enter!
We have also had a problem getting good fresh veg in Upington, and take everything up from Cape Town.
There is a brilliant venison shop north of the town that is worth a visit. It is on the farm belonging to the Loots family and is on the left hand side of the road as you drive to the park about an hour north of upington. They have good venison and biltong, and even ice if you need. To be recommended on your way into the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I phoned Pick 'n Pay Customer Care, and they confirmed that the shop is open on a Sunday, but they don't sell wine on a Sunday.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:36 pm 

There is a lovely wine cellar in Upington - I have just checked with them, they only are open until 12 on a Saturday and not on a Sunday. So from reading the posts here and this info, I would assume that Upington is one of those areas liquor is not sold on a Sunday in SA.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Here in the Western Cape, PnP ropes off the booze section and you cannot buy it on Sunday either.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:26 pm 

Sorry for butting in like this....

Here is a map for you.
You can PM me for the number of the Cellars (Oranjerivier Wine Cellars) and the number of the en-route people (Paul Loots) . they do not close on Sundays.

Greetings
Banna

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bannavdm, thanks for that map. It will be so useful when we enter Upington and do not have to search too much to find the Pick&Pay. More time to spend when arriving earlier at TR!

I see Bentony said:
Quote:
We have also had a problem getting good fresh veg in Upington
- but I was under the impression that the Pick&Pay is well stocked? This will be our last stop before 12 days in KTP, so we will need some fresh veggies and fruit! Anyone else know about the problem with fresh stuff?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kingfisha wrote:
I see Bentony said:
Quote:
We have also had a problem getting good fresh veg in Upington
- but I was under the impression that the Pick&Pay is well stocked? This will be our last stop before 12 days in KTP, so we will need some fresh veggies and fruit! Anyone else know about the problem with fresh stuff?

We were a bit disappointed about the fruit and veggie selection (not very fresh either) at the PnP.
We though the Checkers had a far better selection and everything was really fresh and nice (we had been there May 2006).

Here is the address:
Address: Scott St, Upington, 8801
Tel: +27(54) 338-3540
Fax: +27(54) 338-3558

We shopped at both stores to get the best possible supplies.

Hope this helps.

Katy

Post subject: Availability
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:21 pm 

We are planning a trip to Kgalagadi at the end of April - can anyone tell me whether there is bottled water/mineral water available at Twee Rivieren and Mata Mata and what the meat supply is like? We are travelling from Kwazulu Natal and wondered if we could buy meat at the camps to save on fridge/freezer space?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello bartish
Welcome to the forum
Have a browse through this thread, it will answer your question as well as give you a couple of other ideas.
Keep reading the Arid Parks threads regularly and you should be well informed by the time April comes What you don't find here on the forum, without a doubt someome else will be able to offer assistance. Enjoy the exciting build up to your trip.
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14246

Last edited by Dreamer on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:50 pm 

there is a twee rivieren, we bought both meat and water there. Hvent beento Mata Mata yet, but sure someone will let u know!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Bartish and welcome to the forum
One is able to buy mineral water as well as meat at both camps. I am sure that you will pay a bit more for it though. We always take everything that we need in with us though because the supply is not always reliable. April is a very busy month in the KTP !!! Mata Mata's shop is a lot smaller than Twee Rivieren's so it may be a good thing to make sure that you have everything you need before leaving Twee Riveiren
Don't hestitate to ask if you have any more queries Enjoy your trip!

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi bartish, and welcome! I think that you have been already been given excellent advice by some very experienced travellers.
There are decent shops in Upington, so you don't have to schlep everything all the way from KZN.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:56 pm 

Tish,

As Restio said get what you need in Upington (assuming you're coming through that way). You can always top up in the Park, but the meat is not great.

Rob

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 pm 

Do you know if is possible to buy long life milk at Mata Mata and Nossob shops? And for eggs?
I could buy it in Upington, but I'm scared that in the car temperature will be hot, althought it's August.
Do you buy these kind of food in the park or before to go there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You should be able to get these at the Twee Revieren shop - but suggest you buy these in Upington on the way there (only 3 hours difference) We pack our eggs in those plastic egg holders and they travel well.
We buy most things at home and do buy things such as fresh bread in Upington before we go in. However, we buy bread or roosterkoek baked fresh in both Mata Mata and Nossob. Also buy cold drinks, cold beers, ice etc. at these camp shops. The camp shops are a bit expensive but if you consider the distance they have to transport these things, one can understand the higher prices.

Have aways been able to buy very nice vacuum packed steak and chops in the park - however, you need to select carefully.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next