Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:19 pm 

A very pleasant surprise to see, and a first for us.

I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:07 am 

This Rhino was seen on Tuesday the 20th Feb this year.
It seemed fairly nervous and didn't hang around long.
Please excuse the green tinge on the one but it was shot through the back window of the car as I was not sure at that stage if he was going to come out onto the road or retreat back into the bush. :?

Post subject: No Rhino ???
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:58 am 

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. Why are there no Black Rhinos in Kgalagadi ? Are there any plans to introduce them in the near future ? I asked Jannie this question when we were there in May, and he could not answer me either. He agreed that the Kgalagadi was perfect for black rhinos, but did not know if there were plans to indroduce them.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Is there enough food in drought years to support them?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:29 pm 

During my time here I've realized that not all the historically or naturally occurring animals in the arid region make sense. For example I've wondered why elephants are not a historical inhabitant of the Augrabies area even though the desert elephant in Namibia can survive in worse conditions?

Also hippos apparently occurred in this section of the Orange river, even though I've not seen much suitable grass for them to eat. There's even an area nearby called Zeekoeisteek for crying out loud...but no hippos to be seen. (zeekoei is hippo in Afrikaans)

And even though this was a Kgalagadi question, I'll just say that there are definite plans to reintroduce black rhinos at Augrabies - our original population was moved out a few years ago. A habitat study is currently underway in a different section of the park from where they were before to determine suitability.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:56 pm 

I have to agree with you there. I'm pretty sure Black Rhino must have occured naturally many moons ago.

I thought Black Rhino had been reintroduced to Augrabies recently too. Now at least I know why I could not find them in May.....

In my humble opinion I think it would add a lot to the park to introduce rhino. But hey - what the hell do I know ?!!!??!?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:02 pm 

I suppose the crucial question is whether or not the animal occurred historically in a certain area. If the criteria would be: is it a suitable ecosystem or can the animal survive, than many more animals could be introduced in any number of parks. With the prominent river (and sidestreams) of the Orange flowing through Augrabies it would not be a stretch to introduce nyala or waterbuck, but no way did they occur here originally.

I think SANParks is aiming to create an as historically accurate environment in their parks, only keeping or introducing those animals and plants which originally inhabited that given area. I must say I would agree with such a policy. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:43 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bentony wrote:
Good point GVIAugrabies. I have often wondered about elephant in KTP. After all there are elephant in Etosha, Ghonarezou (Can't spell it off hand but I am sure you know where I mean), the desert elephant in the namib, and parts of eastern zimbabwe which is pretty dry. So why were there supposedly none in the KTP area? Surely with the waterholes it would now be sustainable? If you look at the giraffe that was introduced, they are doing really well with a lot of juveniles. Does this mean that more animals are to be introduced? As long as the ecosystem can sustain them why not!

When I visited in 2000 a ranger at TR told us about a sighting of a lone elephant bull north of Nossob! Apparently when the rangers told the visitor who reported the sighting that he probably saw something else he responded: I know the difference between an elephant and a gemsbok: this was an elephant :lol: . They tracked him again by plane and found his body in Botswana, north of the park. They reckoned this ellie ventured down from the Moremi area down south during the wet season surviving on the little water he found on his route. As soon as the dry season arrived, the disorientated animal was bound to die.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:12 pm 

Hi RRC-Admin,

Had 3 desperate sightings of Black Rhino in KNP a couple of weeks ago, so I guess your chances are good of finding them there. :twisted:

3rd one was a bit far for pics.

Hope this helps 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:18 am 

Me and my SO were very fortunate to have come across these 2 about 50m from the road:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:58 am 

Addo Black Rhino incident this is probably not how one would like to view a Black Rhino. :shock: a little too close for comfort.

Last edited by Elsa on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:32 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

You mean :

Courtesy of SANParks

:twisted: :twisted: :tongue:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have tried to find out more on the "injury" on its side to post some facts here but I can't .

As far as I know, and I have witnessed this on most of my black rhino sightings(About 20, most in Umfolozi, and some in Pilansberg) they mostly tend to have this sore on them.
In fact if I see this I use it as one of the best ways to check if it is indeed a black rhino.
I was told that it is a parasitic infection that is common to them and they cause the sore by rubbing it.
You will often find it on both sides of the rhino also.

It would be great if somebody who knows more about it could enlighten us.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
This little video shows you an amazing encounter that we had with Black rhino's in Krugerpark.

Last edited by Nico on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:01 pm 

The reason why Black Rhino eat Grass in Ngorongoro Crater is simple.
Where they occur in places like Addo/Etosha/Kruger/even Karoo Nat Park/Natal Parks etc there are huge thorn tree thickets for them to hide in and browse.
In the crater the vegetation type is 99.75% Grass ...I can vaguely remember 1 or 2 solitary High trees very widely scattered from each other.
Rhinos have to eat and grass it is...another example of Natures adaptation and where text books don't always get it right.
We learnt this fact that Blackie's also graze when I attended the Wilderness Leadership School as a teenager, maybe they should include the same module in HR training now that Black Rhino are increasing in SANParks?? :)

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Last edited by Peter Betts on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next