Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

At one stage they also had Timbali, a very interesting magazine on KNP, suddenly it was taken over as well.
I will keep my eyes open for a copy of this newspaper while we are ther this weekend :lol:
I think I have seen one while there in December.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Foxy wrote:
At one stage they also had Timbali, a very interesting magazine on KNP, suddenly it was taken over as well.
I will keep my eyes open for a copy of this newspaper while we are ther this weekend :lol:

Timbila was an excellent magazine, I had a subscription to it for two years. As far as I know they got into a fight with the National Parks about fees that were payable to the National Parks board. The National Parks board then withdrew their support of the magazine and Timbila magazine disappeared.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:18 pm 

Foxy wrote:

Yes the Timbila magazine was really nice. It was published round 1999/2000. I subscribed to it and then suddenly it disappeared too :cry:
There is further info on the forum somewhere about the Kruger Times - I searched but can't find it :oops:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I think Kruger Times is now available on line, try this addy:-
http://www.krugerparktimes.co.za/ unfortunately it's on a web site that is a definate no no.
If I shouldn't have given this addy will a moderator please delete it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:39 pm 

Thanks Freda! 8) :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Kruger Times
Unread postPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When we go to the park we just love buying the Kruger Times, it is full of interesting articles etc. Does anyone know if it has a website and we can subscribe to it over the net? We have looked into buying them but sending them to Aus would be very expensive.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:07 am 

Hi Jock,

Although not all the articles .. does help a bit.

Kruger Park Times

Post subject: Custos and Kruger Park Times
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:12 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Everyone

Sorry, but I am slowly getting to all these threads that seem to be unanswered slowly but surely (and when internet connection allows it).

As some have said, Custos was the "official" National Parks Board magazine until the board (a few years ago) decided to "outsource" it to a private company called Penta Publications. This continued for a few years and the magazine actually changed its name from Custos to Timbila (I suppose to move away from the old "Nat Parks Board" image to reflect the new SANParks). As far as I know, Timbila kept going for a few more years until it was stopped (I'll try and find out the reasons here).

We have tried to bring back a SANParks magazine on a number of occassions since then - the latest being 2/3 years ago when a tender was actually awarded - but nothing has come of this so far. I will keep you in the loop regarding developments.

Regarding Kruger Park Times, a short history ...

KNP Public Relations and Communications was looking at various alternatives to find a "newsletter" or "newspaper" to serve the interests of staff, guests to Kruger and people living in the surrounding areas with information and facts for a while.

Then, a publishing company called Matumi Publishing CC approached KNP management with the idea of producing a newspaper for the area. As the KNP would not have any form of financial interest in the project (apart from an agreement to add the newspaper to its media strategy), KNP management gave Matumi its good wishes and the newspaper was born. It has grown from strength to strength and is now a well respected publication, maintaining its level of credibility.

Although I often submit articles, photographs and features, KNP does not have any power over the newspaper which is desireable as this way it gets to keep a high level of credibility.

Matumi Publishing CC can be contacted on +27 15 793 0692 (speak to Sonja) or emailed on bushgroves@telkomsa.net and I have just confirmed with Sonja that you can indeed receive a subscription to the newspaper.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject: Re: Custos and Kruger Park Times
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:30 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

KNP Spokesman wrote:
I have just confirmed with Sonja that you can indeed receive a subscription to the newspaper.

For SA residents only I believe.... :cry:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Custos and Kruger Park Times
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KNP Spokesman wrote:
I have just confirmed with Sonja that you can indeed receive a subscription to the newspaper.

i have being a subscriber to this publication for more then a year now... :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:59 am 

The Kruger Times has a new and improved website. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:33 pm 

gwendolen wrote:
The Kruger Times has a new and improved website. 8)

Gwen thanks so much for posting the website of Kruger Times.

I have been reading the Rangers Diaries and literally went on a nostalgic trip. Reading about the lions "Scarface" and "Mr T" of Kinfisherspruit Section (Orpen/Talamati area) Mr T was a mean Dude and obviously got his name from the TV character for he had a similar hairstyle. we got to know these lions quite well and sometimes they wandered onto Neighbouring Timbavati. I see they have now been kicked out by two lion that sound just as impressive. I must remember the names "Shumba" and "Warrior" and do a walk from Tamboti or Maroela to try and see them.

It was amazing to read about Steven Whitfield of Tshokwane's dog "Sheba" who the paper says he got at 2 years old from Don English. I am looking at a photo of me at about 7 years old (1990) in our house in Sandton fast asleep on my bed with a tiny Labrador puppy fast asleep on my pillow. We were leaving the next morning for the Phalaborwa Gate and the Redrocks Road near Shingwedzi where we were going to spend a few days on the remote Ranger station Shangoni miles from any tourist roads. The labrador came with us as Don had asked my Dad to find him a decent Labbie when he was Ranger there. He named it "Sheba". What a brilliant dog she turned out, so much so that Don's Dad Mike English, Ranger at Stolznek (Wolhuter Trail Area) also wanted one so a few months later off we went again to this lovely home under the shadow of Mangake Koppie with a male labrador puppy. This dog was named "Major" Mike retired soon afterwards and felt "Major" would be better off in Kruger so he gave it to his son who had moved to Tshokwane at about this time. What I think happened here is that in later years the original "Sheba" could have had puppies by Major ????and then Steven could have been given the 2 yr old grown up puppy from this litter and called it "sheba" as well >(my theory) as the "Sheba" we originally brought into Kruger would have been about 16 when it was killed by a Puff Adder which is impossible and Don told my Dad "our Sheba" was killed by Hyena when the gate to his house was left open....The dogs of the Kruger are facinating and all started with "Jock of the Bushveld" I am just glad that we were part of this heritage in some small way.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Why don't you write a book?
I would read it,
again and again and again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:35 pm 

The latest Kruger Times does not only have the story of the A-Team's Pel's Expedition, but two other forumites are mentioned as well: Deefstes (Jay didn't say in what context) and a forumite from the Netherlands who is the biggest single donor for the new Elephant Hall Doors in Letaba. :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yay!! Fame... Fortune... Fans!! :lol: Go Forum!