Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 360  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lovely pics, ecojunkie, and thanks DQ for posting them for us to see :D (must admit to :mrgreen: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

OK - next installment....

Decided to go in early today and do a big circle - S25, S26, S102, H5, Tar road to S82, and then back from Lower Sabie via S28.
I had just crossed the causeway when I was met by a gathering of zebs, wildebeest and impalas! and yes, the inevitable 'zebra crossing'. After that fairly 'usual' with impalas and warthogs. Then a couple of tawny eagles close to and actually on the road.
Then a small breeding herd of elephants with a very small calf, but protective aunty on the edge near the road made it clear my company was surplus to requirements, so I left them to it! Saw more single eles too, and later on the S82 4 lying against a bank in a dry stream. And then just north of Mpondo Dam - yes, my 7th leopard in 7 trips!!!! This one was walking in the bushes and although clearly visible no pics were possible. I think I have more luck with leopards than lions! More dwarf mongooses, and a large group of giraffe with a couple of calves - big daddy decided half the road was quite sufficient for cars and did not budge as I eventually crept past him. He did give me a condescending glance and briefly stop eating!
Despite pins showing rhino and leopard on the S28 I only found eles, baboons, kudu, zebs, giraffe, impala and wildebeest. The baboons had several babies and while the adults rested in the shade the youngsters were going crazy up and down trees etc. There were 2 lookouts in dead trees braving the sun.

Don't think I will have time for any more quick trips now before the holiday period - too much on here. But I will be going through from Croc Bridge to Orpen on the 21st so will report on that later.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:53 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
ecojunkie wrote:
And then just north of Mpondo Dam - yes, my 7th leopard in 7 trips!!!! This one was walking in the bushes and although clearly visible no pics were possible. I think I have more luck with leopards than lions!

:mrgreen: WOW, great morning with great sightings!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have very little luck with leopards.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

MM -- you and me both !

Lovely quick fix, ecojunkie :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ecojunkie... I sure hope you appreciate the fact that you can just pop over for a quick fix so easily... you make a lot of us very :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . But now you also have an obligation to keep doing it often and let us know what's going on the Kruger!

@MM... You're lucky - you have little luck with leopards - I have NO luck with them... Next time I'm in Kuger I'm going to pick ecojunkie up to drive with me - maybe she will change my luck!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I know! I know! I am still awed by it. And the incredible leopard experiences lately have been almost overwhelming......
I will be driving through from Croc Bridge (or Malelane if closed by floods) to Orpen on 21st and back on 28th so will have trip reports then. Otherwise you will have to wait a little until busy period is over - but I promise to keep reporting my quick fixes. However I cannot promise they will always be so good - it is Kruger after all!
And anytime you are coming this way contact me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A regular quick fix report will go down well :wink:

I have 19 sleeps to go before my fix.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Heavy rain at the beginning of the week and increasing visitor numbers made me worried about getting in at Croc Bridge tomorrow to drive through to Orpen - so I used the new direct booking site and nabbed the last camp site at Croc Bridge for tonight! A kudu cow supervised my packing of the caravan and car at home (she sent the rest of the gang round the back of the house...), and her male attendants closed ranks on the driveway after I left!

Got here early enough to do a good round trip to Lower Sabie and back. Went up H4-2 and checked Sunset Dam - really full of water, huge crocs cruising around - then back down on the S28 turning off to Duke and then the Gormondwane loop, back up to the H5, S106, and home on the S25.

This time no leopard!!!!! Never mind - there is tomorrow.....
Road block checking licence, tax disc, permit, at the turn off to S25. Very friendly cop told me about a kill just up the road. a lion had taken out a warthog next to the road. I found the site marked by 3 cars and a few vultures, but nothing to see! Rather than add to the potential jam in the hope of maybe seeing an ear, I went on. Almost immediately found a breeding herd of eles with very young calves. Watched a short while but they were moving away from the road. Nothing much else on the way north apart from giraffes just after the S28 turning.

It was not until I turned off for Duke that my luck changed a little! almost immediately found a flock of wattled starlings - first time I have seen these strange looking birds. Then at Duke a black-chested snake eagle, and just after that a tawny eagle. Several lone eles, and another 2 breeding herds (suspect one was the previous herd). Just before getting back to the H4-2 a big group of wildebeest, zebs, giraffe and impalas. Oh, and just prior to that a wooly neck stork keeping a batchelor herd of impala company. Small herd of kudu cows too. Also found 2 separate impala ewes with very young lambs almost hidden in the grass. 3 young warthogs felt sociable and snuffled around next to the car for a while rather than running off as usual. Also spent a few minutes with a couple of dwarf mongooses.

One large male rhino next to the road, and shortly before getting back to camp 2 more in the bushes behind a large group of zebs and wildebeest.

So a quieter viewing day.... Disappointed not to be able to do a walk tomorrow morning before leaving - already booked up!

Will report on trip north tomorrow evening.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date, ecojunkie, and enjoy the rest of your trip :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Going out for a quick morning drive before hitching up and heading north. Still not seen any yellow ribbons around!!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Ecojunkie, I hope the rest of your stay is a great one. You certainly have had a good start. Looking forward to hearing more.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:40 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

'That was a good one!'

Zebs and giraffe as soon as I left the gate, with one baby giraffe giving me that motionless stare they are so good at.

Decided to revisit the kill site in case there was any hyena activity, but as I passed the S28 turn-off I could see vehicles parked, so went there instead. 7 lions in the road!!!! 2 were still young, showing some spots - one beginning to show the start of a mohican mane. And one big male who showed a little too much interest in a small game vehicle (?morning walk setting out) so the driver started the engine, sending him in my direction. He went past me and flopped down behind me, next to a lioness who barely moved. Another lioness wandered closer too and began to chew the spare tyre of the vehicle in front of me - it moved off and turned around!!! More cars began arriving so I moved off to give them a chance.

Several ele sightings, 2 rhino with a calf, and lots of zebs and wildebeest. Just went to the broken dam and then came back to have breakfast before hitching up and going north.

More this evening...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

7 lions!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love how mischivous the little ones are :lol:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Back home again... thanks guys for the birthday wishes. I was in a place with awful reception and managed to get on the web for a short while that day, but could not post - it was soooo slow!

Will write about the trips tomorrow, and send 2 pics to DQ for posting of the lions. Must get some shut-eye before an early start tomorrow for a bush walk in our big 4 area here.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 360  Next