[ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
sammylou wrote:
Hi,
I'm planning on spending 2 weeks in SA next Feb. with my husband, our son (will be 2 yrs 7 months) my sister and her boyfreind. we were planning on spending 5 days in KNP with 2 nights in Lower Sabie and 3 in Letaba does that sound like a good idea?

Also could anyone tell me the minimum age for bush braais.

cheers
Sam

Sam, Feb is high time for mosquitoes in the abovementioned camps. You will have to take great care in keeping them off your little boy.

It was exactly one of these two camps where we've picked up our malaria case in 2003.

Bush braai minimum age I think is 12.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi sammylou

I suggest you speak to a doctor/pharmacist about the safety of malaria prophylaxes for children under 5. I may be wrong but I think it is not recommended. In that case your only option is, as wildtuinman says, to prevent your child from being bitten.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:09 pm 

:D
As a rule, most medication can be given to children older than 2 years. Just remember no prophylaxis is 100% effective, so keep a eye out for flu symptoms after you leave. Also malaria treatment is much easier for 2 year old's and above.

Last edited by Wild-doc on Mon May 21, 2007 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:02 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Uffer Marcolongo, president of the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers, is vociferous in her objection to giving Mefloquine to children. She said she would be "quite reluctant" to give Mefloquine to children under 10, adding that her organization was financing a study on the effects of the drug. In the meantime, her advice is to avoid recreational travel to malarious areas with children.

WHAT these experts do agree on is that medical prophylaxis is only one piece of the prevention picture. Measures such as wearing long-sleeved clothing, applying pediatric insect repellent with 6-10 percent DEET (with care to avoid scraped or otherwise sensitive skin), sleeping under mosquito netting treated with permethrin, and avoiding nighttime exposure are every bit as important as taking any of the drugs.

I would not give young children any medicines without a long consult with one or more doctors... Just try to prevent any bites, and if coming home and the child is feverish go to the hospital and see what they do...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Kruger and Babies
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All

Looking for some advice from people who have gone to the kruger with their babies?

I have a 6 month old and we are going to kruger in 2 weeks time, staying in Marloth though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:17 am 

Hi dotdan and welcome,
I think the biggest by far concern is the Malaria risk.
You will find lots of info and advicehere

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there dotdan, just make sure you don't drive too far in a day -- babies often snooze in the car and then are raring to go when you are dead tired from being in the car all day !
Lots of fluids for the heat, (means extra nappies !) hat for when you get out at picnic spots, remember the sand can be hot too, so choose where you put them down to crawl - a picnic blanket / tarp comes in handy.
It also helps if you have an area in the car where they can safely crawl around and play too. Enjoy.
Little ones are often fascinated by the birds and animals and are no trouble to travel with.

Post subject: Re: with baby in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:04 pm 

Hi Karin

Your itinerary sounds perfect.
Just a few bits of advice, make sure you have enough nappies/formula etc. which you will need for the whole trip as you may not find what you need at the shops, or else they are the wrong size :-)

For the mozzies, take a mozzie net that fits over the crib for sleeping.
Also you get electronic mozzie machines that plug into the electricity, we always use them, very effective. Put it on a while before bed time and switch off in the morning.
You can buy these at any supermarket in SA - around R40.00. Just make sure you have 2 refills for the unit. Washing with citronella soap also helps.

I also agree with plan to schedule your drives around daytime sleeps and stop at the picnic sites etc to break the trip.

Post subject: Re: Infants in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi,my son was 6 weeks old on his first trip, now at 4mounths old and we are going again!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 pm 

thanks for the reply

Thats great. I guess when we are with Infants we should drive less and stay in few camps without moving around too much.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:20 pm 

Suggest you go now as this is the time that you are least likely to get malaria and also its not too hot for travelling

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

!Harebab wrote:
Malaria has a 99% fatality in infants.

That stat alone is why we didn't take our kids until they were 30months or older.
Our smallest is 13 weeks now - and unfortunately that means the only way we'll get to KNP in the next 2 years is if we leave him with grandma for a weekend.

To me its just not worth the risk to expose an infant to even the remote possibility of being infected.
When they're a bit older they can communicate with you and tell you when they feel bad and their immune systems are stronger.

But thats just my personal opinion and its everyone's own choice - don't let other people make the choice for you.

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Post subject: Infants in the park
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 am 

Hey to all the parents out there! :tongue:

My wife and I are expecting and we still want to be able to go the park right. The little one is due late Feb and we are going back to SA over Christmas. My folks stay in Nellies (Nelspruit) so its a hop skip and jump to the Park. :dance:

There are two factors that worry me. One is the incredible heat over that period and of course the malaria that is a common threat during the summer months. :hmz: Has any one brought a ten month old to the park over summer and, honestly has it been cruizie or a constant mission? :huh: I am lucky enough to (if need be) be able to leave bub with gran in Nellies as we will only be there for about 4 nights so that is a definate option.

So, to the nice folks who have been down this road, What should I do?

Also note the following:
When we go to the park we only drive max 4 to 5 hours in a day (when hot), not including night and early morning drives. This is because we like to explore look outs, have braai's at picnic spots and explore the camps.
Thanks mom's and dad's, grannies and grandpa's :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Infants in the park
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

First of all, I think you would appreciate the break and it gives the granny some bonding time.

One needs to evaluate such a decision from all angles. In reality, a child that did not grow up in a malaria area (and it is the season) have zero immunity, cannot take effective anti-malarial drugs and can die from cerebral malaria within 48 hours since you first pick it up.

Many a person on the forum will shoot me down and explain how they took their children as babies and nothing ever happened (to them). It is a fact that the baby has a better chance of not getting sick than getting sick. Much the same as you have the odds when you are playing russian roulette. I, for one, would never play russian roulette with my child.

I would suggest you have some quality time with mommy in the bush and "recharge" for the next round of nappy runs.

In the end, this is the wrong place to ask for advice on the topic as a Sanparks forum is just not qualified to answer a medical question where the well being of your child is at stake. The best answer you can get will be from your paediatrician.

Post subject: Re: Infants in the park
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Saffa
I would advise to rather seek advise from your doctor and stick to that advice despite what is said here on this forum. December would be right in the middle of malaria season.
and BTW, is Nelspruit not also in a malaria area? :hmz: