SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:19 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

richardharris wrote:
Great book, with all the much nicer names!

Its a shame that Newman (or someone else) hasn't brought out an updated version. Its really helpful to have the impossible birds eliminated when trying to identify one.

Richard

If you have a look at this page about the new Roberts Fieldguide you'll find the following sentence hidden away under the heading Southern African Guides

No time frames is mentioned but it is being looked at

Quote:
Preparation of a dedicated Roberts Kruger National Park Bird guide is well underway and so too is the Geographic Variation Guide that will illustrate the various plumage differences of about two thirds of the 900 odd recognised subspecies in the region.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Should anyone be interested - the Roberts Field Guide is available at bookstores - treated myself to one yesterday.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:31 am 

Got the new Roberts field guide the other day (in anticipation for birding day!!) and so far I've been very impressed, it's very cheap compared to some of the other guides and the information for each species is top notch, the thing that made me buy this book is the distribution maps which are better than any other field guide currently available.

I've got very few complaints, I do find it strange that there is no illustration of an Ostrich and although this is not too important to me, it still seems a little odd, the main thing though is that the quality of the paintings vary widely, some are extremely good and others are, well, a little off the mark. The raptor illustrations are some of the best if not the best out there, but luckily 90% of the images are of a high standard.

As for the nightjar page, that is going to be very handy for birding day, many people don't realise how easy they are to catch with the use of a spotlight (and how wide they can open their mouthes!!) and in these situations it really does turn I.D'ing these birds into a 30 second opperation! And as for some of the above comments, I don't believe you can tick a dead bird, that would be like ticking a bird in a cage.

My vote for this book...get it and add it to the collection, you won't regret it!

Post subject: Newmans Bird Book - Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:07 am 

I have a very well used edition of Newmans "Birds of the Kruger Park". As it is falling apart I would like to replace it but don't seem to be able to locate it in any of the book-stores in Cape Town. Is it still available?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:15 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Have a look here. Amazon has it as well.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If I was you I would maybe hang on a bit. There is a new guide coming out for Kruger in the near future.

Quote from BirdInfo website:
Quote:
...Preparation of a dedicated Roberts Kruger National Park Bird guide is well underway and so too is the Geographic Variation Guide that will illustrate the various plumage differences of about two thirds of the 900 odd recognised subspecies in the region...

Unfortunately I can't tell you that it will be as good as the Newmans but maybe just worth to wait a few months. My Kruger Newmans is also falling apart and I'm waiting to see what the Roberts KNP guide will look like before I start searching for a replacement. I'm just hoping that they will be including the same kind of info (ie specific records for rarities etc) as the Newmans currently have.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject: Birds of the Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:35 pm 

Thanks Johann. Holding on for a while certainly makes sense in view of what you state.

Post subject: Re: Newmans Bird Book - Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:29 pm 

50something wrote:
I have a very well used edition of Newmans "Birds of the Kruger Park". As it is falling apart I would like to replace it but don't seem to be able to locate it in any of the book-stores in Cape Town. Is it still available?

I love my Green Edition but it is also falling apart, I got an almost new one from here and I am so pleased with it :D
Still use my old one though :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:02 am 

Got a mail from the author. The Afrikaans version has been delayed due to problems with the translator. Will only be available in 2009! :cry: A real pity!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 pm 

For all UK-based birders the Roberts Field Guide is now here - saw it this weekend in the WWT shop in London for £17.99. Looks very good.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am addicted to bird field guides! I have a copy of almost all the books mentioned here. For Kruger the Newmans Kruger book is the best but seems to be out of print at the moment. Newmans is quite user friendly but the latest Roberts field guode is fantastic.

Keep birding!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have all three updated Sasol, Roberts new version (fathers days are great) and the old Kruger guide. I find the Sasol plates better not so harsh on the feather patterns and easier to view but Roberts better on the written detail ,for everyday basic use in the KNP nothing can touch my old newmans probably becuase of its size and weight I can lug it around and also hold it in my hand while using bino's etc.
Now Im looking for a good raptor guide with colour variation plates any sugestions, I will go and look at the ones mentioned earlier.
Enjoy your birding with the birds I never have a dull moment no matter where I am.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you can find the one I'm looking for "Raptor Identification Guide for Southern Africa"by Ulrich Oberpriellr & Burger Cillie. It has Colur variations, Juvenile & sub adult photos & ín flight wing patterns. It is really great, but seems to be out of print at the moment. Please let me know if you see it anywhere in KZN so I can order a copy

Happy birding

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi PJW if i find a copy Ill pm you I had a look at our local mall no luck but Im going up PMB way on Teusday will try some stores in Pmaritzburg may get better luck.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

finaley i have purchased a roberts bird guide!!!!!! My very first bird book! (please note i have only just started birding) the book is awsome, the pictures the detail everything!
i esspecialy like the fact that they have put in the birds breeding times and when they are in breeding plumage.
it is a must get and I recon it is beter than all the other bird guides.

all forum members that love birding.................get this book!

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next