Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:43 pm 
francoisd wrote:
As it was VERY windy in Olifants I later moved the braai to behind the bungalow.

That is one drawback of these units at Olifants….if the wind blows, it really blows, and it is not very pleasant on the veranda. My SO and I had a few evenings at Olifants where we could not braai at all because of the wind…but the curry we cooked from our superior lamb chops were not too bad. :lol:

I have to say, the drain structure in front of #9 has never really bothered us ….but that is personal, and I can imagine that to some people it is an eyesore. We have stayed in that unit so many times and actually don’t even notice it…unless the baboons come and sit on it…use to do so every afternoon.
As for the tree on the right….in summer (Dec/Jan) it actually becomes part of the view when the sun sets right in fork of this tree.

Bush Baptist wrote:
I stand by my statement.

We have stood there for half an hour and seen a couple of hippos & crocs, a few giraffe in the distance, fish eagles on the trees below and the occasional impi and zebra popping out from behind the trees. If you are lucky you can see eles, and goliath herons. Oh yes a BBSE flew over my head.

We have, on two separate occasions, seen lions at the river while we sat on the veranda of #9. Another great thing of Olifants is that you are eyelevel with soaring eagles and vultures….great in-flight photos

bushwalker wrote:
Elsewhere in this forum, 'Jumbo' states that the Nshawu guest house at Olifants is the number one in the whole park. I agree with him - it's fantastic.

Next weekend, for two nights. That is what happens when the SO goes to France to watch rugby final, leaving Jumbo and credit card at home. :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:40 pm 

Yes, it's a great point to view the sunset. Never seems to be as good when I replay it on video though ... I have also seen lions a few times from these corner bungalows. A few years ago, on Jan 2nd, a group of eland were on the far side of the river, on the bend to the right. The following afternoon, while I was walking around the camp looking at birds, my girlfriend watched a leopard snatch and grab an impala at exactly the same spot. It is also a favoured crossing point for elephant, a great sight at any time but especially in summer twilight.

Jumbo - I think we'd better shut up about these huts otherwise we'll never get booked in there again. Enjoy Nshawu ! Looking forward to hearing how good it was.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:13 am 
bushwalker wrote:
Jumbo - how was Nshawu ?

Beyond words :D …so here are a few pix….but even with photos you cannot really capture how amazing this place is.

Zebra on the “braai deck”

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:22 am 

Hi everyone and warm greetings from Sri Lanka.

I have made bookings to come to Oliphants for two nights in April 2008 where I secured BD2V river view bungalows :D and really looking forward to it. Should I request for any particular bungalow no's and how is this done? Actually I wanted the Nshawu guest house but could not get it even though I had tried 11 months in advance.

Would like to learn more about the camp and the area, special activities incuding the walk and astronomy plus any other good tips especially suited for children ages 11 and 13.

Thanks everyone for all the great information already provided.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:22 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The numbers 1-9 are the ones to go for, especially 2 and 9. However donors get first grab...

You can request them 2 days before the actual stay, but full is full.

The riverwalk is the one to do, plain good fun, and you get to see larger animals like hippos. The area... I love it. The S44 is one of my fav roads, as is the low waterbridge near Balule. And of course the hyaenaden just below Balule! You can't miss it. The whole area is good for leopard, and one of the few places where you can see the spring hare. That is nocturnal though, so a nightdrive?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 am 

Hi BB, yes this will be my first trip to SA and Kruger. I am a very much a serious wildlife lover and photograher do visit parks in Sri Lanka where we get Elephants, Leopards etc, my kids are also quite used to this. Africa is amazing and it is a dream to come to Kruger! I have 7 nights, with the last 2 at Oliphants.

Thanks DuQues for that information, I must call up a couple of days before arrival and try to get a "preffered" bungalow. Do the walks require pre booking?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:13 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Not really, but they need to know at least the day beforehand. So book it while trying to get your preferred bungalow?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Good day all! I have a question about a few different options at Olifants.

Has anyone stayed at Bungalow's FQ4U1 or FQ4V2? Do these have any better views than BBD2V Bungalows? I'm also considering one of the Guest houses...any opinions on the two? Only my wife and I are going, so I'm not sure if a guest house for 2 people is even an option.

Thank you all, this forum has by far been the most useful tool in planning our upcoming trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Stark,

first a big welcome to the forum and my best wishes to Arizona :lol:

If there will only be 2 of you I guess the BBD2V bungalows will be sufficient. All of the them have great views - you will love it.

As we only stayed in these bungalows in Olifants maybe some other forum members can comment on the other accommodation.

Enjoy your trip and happy planning :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:49 am 

Hi!! Will be staying at Olifants for 1 night only :( on 9 August. This will be our first visit to this camp, and reading this thread has got me really excited! I have managed to book one of the bungalows that have a communal kitchen (others booked up) but it does have a river view. (NG2V).

Do all bungalows have their own braai? Will I need to take charcoal etc or are the fires lit by the camp staff? (not too keen on skottel).

I also read here that the restaurant is undergoing renovations and wondered if there was an update on this? Is it open for business?

And lastly, would love to do a game drive - would you recommend a morning, sunset or night drive?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi JJay...the NG2V bungalows are very nice...each bungalow has its own braai, yes you have to take or buy wood/charcoal at the camp and make your own fire, no one does it for you. :?

I usually say the following regarding drives.....a morning drive you can do yourself :D as the camps drive leaves about half hour before the gates open and this time of the year its still dark so actually a waste of money and very very cold. I usually recommend a sunset or night drive as these you cannot do by yourself and its great to see the nocturnal animals.

Just take very warm clothes as it gets very chilly on the open trucks.

Post subject: 1st time at Olifants
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 am 

Morning All,

We will be visiting Olifants Camp on the 13th and 14th of September 2008 for the first time. :mrgreen: We booked bungalow 14 (FQ4V2) for our stay. If anyone can please give me more information re this bungalow, view, braai facilities, etc. it will be much appreciated. :wink:

I will also appreciate some ideas on routes to take in the area. We are travelling in a bakkie and therefore do not mind using dirt roads.

Thanx
Jacques

Do not argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 am 

Morning Jacques,

Must say you are lucky to get that bungalow. From looking at the pictures it must be the best 4 sleeper in the camp. I tried to book it on the 1st Sept @ 08H00 last year for our stay now in Aug and after being allocated it at first they later changed it to FQ4U1 which is also a 4 sleeper but with 1 bathroom only. Anyway both of them are on the fence with an excellent river view. Will update you on the facilities when back.

Nossob 30 Nov - 3 Dec
Twee Rivieren 4 & 5 Dec

Post subject: Olifants Camp query
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:24 pm 

Hi everyone

Just got back recently from a holiday which included a wonderful few days in Kruger, spent mainly up north. Popped in to have a look at Olifants camp and decided we had to book a few nights there for a special family celebration next year.

We would really like to stay in one of the front units with that beautiful river view and I have consulted the map, but what I would like to know is, given that I can either book two 2-bed river-view bungalows (BBD2V), or the one 4-bed cottage (unit 14) that has a river view, which would you recommend? The view is the most important factor, as we would like to spend a bit of time just relaxing in the camp.

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:21 pm 

Olifants is high on my favourite camp list. Both the units that you mentioned have good river views. I think it is a matter of personal choice. If you go as a family my choice would be unit 14 simply to have the family together.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next