Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vanwykshout / Tree wisteria (Bolusanthus speciosus)
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Found this one next to the guest house in Shingwedzi on our recent trip. Never seen one elsewhere in the park :?

and a close-up of the flowers -

My guess would be an "alien" planted in the early years?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not an alien. An indigenous tree wisteria in flower. 8)

There are tree wisterias elsewhere in the park, but I've never been lucky enough to see one in flower. Wow, it looks stunning - thanks for posting the pix, avon vosloo. :D

The plantzafrica website has an entry on the tree wisteria, Bolusanthus speciosus, which also includes photos.

www.plantzafrica.com wrote:
The tree wisteria is certainly one of the most spectacular of our indigenous trees when in flower, mimicking the splendour of the jacaranda, which unfortunately is proving to be an invader species in parts of South Africa. Given time and effort this tree could replace the jacaranda trees from Argentina and carpet Pretoria streets with indigenous purple blooms instead.

This decorative, small to medium-sized tree is deciduous, dropping its leaves only for a short period in early spring. The tree is normally multi-stemmed, but it can be pruned to form a single stem. The bark of the stem is brownish grey, rough and deeply fissured. Leaves, which are spirally arranged, are suspended from drooping branches.

The drooping, blue-mauve, fragrant, pea-like flowers hang from the branches in bunches, often covering the whole tree. Flowering time is from August to January (spring and early summer). Flowers are followed by papery, brown fruit pods, that hang from the branches in clusters, and never split to release their seeds. Being a protected tree in South Africa, wild specimens may not be removed, cut down or damaged.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yep that's a tree wisteria alright. Just beautiful when in flower. I've got a young one in my garden in JHB - it will be quite some time before it flowers though. It appears to be coping well with the Highveld winters.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:45 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Here is one that we saw last September on the S28. There were quite a few in flower then. My favourite tree, they are so spectacular when in full bloom. This was a small one which was tilted at quite an angle!

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject: Vanwykshout (Bolusanthus speciosus)
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the whole tree in the park. Our son took this close-up in Feb 2007 at Skukuza. There are some nice ones in the ID thread as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

How odd! I was going to ask about this on my return - and I see the same question was asked only a few days ago! This one was seen soon after entering at the Malelane gate.

Richard