SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

News about the pool and building work .

The pool will be OPEN as from the school holidays and the long weekend - 22nd September , at last .

The new reception centre is "awaiting funds" before work commences again for the final finishing work .

Interesting though I was reading a November 1991 issue of CUSTOS magazine when the reported on previous upgrades -
- 3 family cottages completed
- Escom electricity laid on
- huts wired for lighting and refrigerators
- "new" reception office and shop (ie the current one as before that it was the cubicle in the middle of the road) .
Up until then the huts had parrafin lamps (later gas) lighting ,
there was a communal parrafin fridge (ala picnic spot fridges) ,
the bathroom hot water geyser was wood fired (donkey boiler which still stands in the back) but there was a Lister generator for bathroom lights only till 9 pm when it would be lights out until an hour before gates open when it would be restarted .
The day visitors picnic spot had braai fires which did supply coals for evening braai's to the huts (by the hut attendants) . The kitchen had a coal stove for hot water and kettles .
The shop only had dried goods and cooled drinks until then . You always brought ice from Satara for sundowners.

How we take amenities for granted !
And rememeber the attendants had duties and hour before and after gates - generator , coal stoves , kettles and donkey burner etc .

The conversion to gas skottel braais was in March 1990 , however Orpen and Punda Maria camps and Babalala and Pafuri picnic spots still had hardwood communal fires for a couple more years (Orpen till November 1991) .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

seapit1 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know where exactly one can have a good chance of seeing wildog and cheetah around Orpen :?: Have yet to see wildog.

I am going to Orpen in June 07. :lol:

Wild Dogs are quite difficult to spot in this area, but some regular sightings have been on the H7, Cheetah is another story there quite a good chance of seeing them here - especially on the H7 & S100. If you want to see Wild Dog and Cheetah I reccomend staying rather at Berg-en-Dal, Pretoriuskop & Crocodile Bridge, these animals are very regular sights on the H3, H1-1 & H4-2.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have also seen wild dog around there , although by far the best areas are South of the Sabie , as mentioned above .

Orpen is really looking good now after the revamp .

We stayed in a family unit (The one by the fence :D ) , and where very impressed with the new look and decor :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Orpen Upgraded Units
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 am 

ImageLarge
ImageLarge
ImageLarge
ImageLarge

This is how the upgraded units look in Orpen. It is Stunning.

Last edited by Elsa on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
pics resized.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:22 pm 

Hey, orpen camp has been great over the past few years. as a family of 6 we have had many great sightings of lion, leopard, wild dog and the occasional cheetah! We have even seen both lion and leopard at the waterhole in front of the camp! :mrgreen: the dirt road to Timbavati has been our most productive in the area- we saw four huge male lions there all to ourselves there last year august, and a leopard and lone male lion last year December! An excellent camp! :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MLAMBANE wrote:
An excellent camp!

I love every single place in the park, but I believe in "Good, Better, Orpen!"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
And you have the floodlit waterhole with the webcam thrown in. :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:54 pm 

Hi everyone, we stayed at Orpen in bungalow no. 6 in beginning of September [1st week] and it was fantastic. They were busy building the one next door to us. They are very mod and comfortable and that night we were treated to a great rhino sighting at the waterhole where the webcam is. We sat at the fence and watched as 3 rhinos came out of the darkness and stayed around the waterhole for at least 4 mins, wallowing in the mud and grazing. There is a resident honey badger who made it his business to raid the camp the whole night but we were so glad just to see him so close. We eventually put our garbage bin on top of the fridge with a chair in front of the fridge and in the middle of the night he jumped onto the chair and tried to pull the bin over again. Lots of fun! Orpen is a lovely camp and the pool is great as well. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:26 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks FRUIT BAT! Stayed at Orpen for the first time earlier this year! Quite an charming little camp. Stayed in bungalow no 1, although about at the back of the shop, it's awesome renovated and love the big veranda. Loved sitting at the fench at looking at the water hole. Had also a encounter with a puff ader at our veranda after our braai :wink: It's a shame we could'nt get any reservation for december but will take a look, when we stay at Satara...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 pm 

I went into the shop at the end of Sept. just buying something to drink and altho I didn't stay too long it did seem to be fairly well stocked and I got the impression that it would have had most things the other shops in the smaller camps have. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A colleague of mine spent Friday night at Orpen, she woke to quite a noise at about 01h30 only to find honeybadgers raiding their fridge - she pack everything up and went back to bed forgetting to put something heavy against the fridge door - again about4h30 she was again awakened by a noise and again the honeybadgers were raiding the fridge. They are obviously accustomed to raiding fridges if accessible.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:37 am 

Stayed in #4 for 3 days in November. Nice, comfortable bungalows with good view of the waterhole. Only criticism is that the bungalows cannot be locked from the outside, so if you are staying for more than 1 night, as we did, you have to pack all your stuff and unpack when you get back for the night again.
Other than that, we enjoyed our 3 nights there, but did not get to see the Honey Badger at all :(

Mike & Trish Goss

Post subject: Re: Entry Gates from White River
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 pm 

Paul12 wrote:
I know that it is self catering but have any of you guys stayed at Orpen??

We have just recently stayed at Orpen and enjoyed our stay there, found it to be a really nice little camp.

You can have a look at some pics of them.

We got allocated chalets # 8 & 9, which are newly refurbished and quite delightful and are to be our "home" for the next 3 nights. :D

Post subject: Re: orpen camp
Unread postPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The beds are very comfortable at Orpen!!!!!!!!! We stayed in No 10 and I wanted to bring the bed home with me.

All of the drives start on the main Satara road, but there is lots of choice. Many people recommend the Timbavati road, but if you take the whole day out you could go as far as Letaba and back or even Skukuza and back, or just dawdle to Satara and around there.

Also staying in camp and watching the water hole is an option.

What you see is always being in the right place at the right time.

Post subject: Re: orpen camp
Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree with Chirinda about the S39, the Timbavati road. It is one of my favourite roads. It covers so many eco zones.

I would also suggest going up to Satara and then doing the S100, another popular area. It would then be possible to "nip" over to the N'wanestsi picnic area. Its a lovely place to stretch your legs and get some beautiful views.

I would also recommend a meal at Tshokwane picnic site. I do think that they have the best selection of food, as well as the best presentation. I had a Kudu boerrie roll, but I saw their salads being served to a table next to mine and it looked simply scrummy. They also have a very refreshing homemade ginger beer at R5 a glass.

On my most recent trip there had been many Wilddog sightings. I had my own sighting close to Talamati. You should be able to keep track of recent sightings via the sightings board. Like Lion, they tend to stay put and sleep through the heat of the day. They start their greeting ritual in the very late afternoon. It is an experience of a life time. If you do see Wilddog, try to stick around until their ritual starts.

Good luck and have a stunning time :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next