Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shrub: Cape honeysuckle (Tecoma capensis)
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:28 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

A beautiful garden plant. Good nectar source for insects and birds. Also found in yellow and orange.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I saw the Cape honeysuckle along the S3, is it also an "invader" like the ageratum?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:13 am 

arks wrote:
Also, I saw the Cape honeysuckle along the S3, is it also an "invader" like the ageratum?

arks the Cape honeysuckle is not an 'invader', but as Imberbe indicated, usually a more recognised garden plant (therefor often more seen inside the camps). In SA it is widely cultivated as a garden ornamental with various cultivars including yellow, red, pink and pale orange flowers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for confirming the IDs, JB 8) and also for the further info on the Cape honeysuckle. I wonder whether, because the S3 is so close to where there are resorts and other non-KNP places just on the other side of the river, the Cape honeysuckle and the alien ageratum might have "flown in" from outside of the park?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:34 pm 

arks wrote:
Thanks for confirming the IDs, JB 8) and also for the further info on the Cape honeysuckle. I wonder whether, because the S3 is so close to where there are resorts and other non-KNP places just on the other side of the river, the Cape honeysuckle and the alien ageratum might have "flown in" from outside of the park?

It is very possible arks, the other major contributor in the spreading of some of these plants were the floods.
Also as i said they planted Cape honeysuckle in quite a few of the camps, so very easy to spread from there.
Saying this i must add that there is quite a few places in the bushveld and around forest margins where they do occur naturally, so the above 'assumptions' can be totally wrong... (although i can't remember seeing them there in earlier years).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the further amplification, JB. I hadn't thought about the floods, but that makes sense, too.

Post subject: Shrub: Cape honeysuckle (Tecoma capensis)
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 pm 

The red form is the only truly indigenous variety of this one of the finest of Sunbird food sources. Our Garden is full of these red flowering schrubs at the moment. This pic was taken recently at the main camp in Addo

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:38 am 

Hi BushCall.

The Honeysuckle is indeed a beautiful plant!

I do however not understand your statement that the red form is "the only truly indigenous variety." Surely within most species of plants there are variety. In the case of the Honeysuckle the orange variety is commonly found towards the northern part of the country and even further up in Africa.

I have even seen some yellow ones, but that might be because of human intervention?
:wink:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:58 pm 

Hi Bushcall,

I've consulted my Palgrave's "Trees of Southern Africa" and according to the author the colour of the flowers range from orange to scarlet. I assume that this is the colour range of the "natural" growing plants, because our local indigenous nursery have 4 varieties of Honyesuckle in stock - red, orange, yellow as well as salmon coloured.

I've planted the red, orange & yellow ones in my garden and I must say that they are stunning to look at and the birds love them as well! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

All the other colour forms do have their origins in natural stock. I have seen salmon-coloured and yellow flowered plants in nature. The plant is fairly widespread so a fair amount of genetic variation is found within the species. The plants grow easily from cuttings. When horticulturalists come across an interesting colour form they will take cuttings and then propogate them in the nursery. Sometimes they will also apply plant breeding techniques to achieve different colours and forms - the South African National Botanical Institute is busy doing this with several indigenous plants, especially the genus Plectranthus. But essentially the plants are still indigenous since the genes are of local origin.

Our honeysuckle was flowering profusely until the snow came and the plant got severe frost bite :cry:.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mine also got burnt by the frost , although it has sprung back into life now with the rain .

The orange form is the real deal , although I must admit , that having both orange and yellow plants , the yellow nursery variety is a far neater bush .
Both attract the same sort of birds like sunbirds for instance .
I have read that the orange variety attracts more birds , but I honestly do not find this the case .

If you want to fill a large area , get the orange one , if you want a neat rounded bush , go yellow .