Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: skukuza - bungalows and roads
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:57 pm 

Hi,

I'm due to go to Skukuza next weekend as part of honeymoon. Staying in one of the new luxury riverside bungalows for 2 nights. Can anyone please recommend which number bungalow I should stay in. I would like as private a bungalow as possible. Also advise please on which are the best roads around Skukuza and lower Sabie at the moment for game viewing.

I will also be in Lower Sabie for 1 night. Has anyone been recently and are the alterations very obtrusive.

Thanks. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:12 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Brett,

We stayed at 87 which was great. Very private, but as the Doc said, all the bungalows to the west side of the restaurant are pretty private.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:44 pm 

In all my years of going to Kruger, Skukuza has always been the bottom of my list.

I've always believed that the camps resident wildlife, was non-existent, excluding birds and monkeys of course.

We got back from the Kruger on the 27th May, having spent 8 nights in the park, 3 of which were in Skukuza.

Here is the pleasant surprise we received:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8555623@N03/

Post subject: Skukuza Library
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've never been to the library - I'm wondering what interesting books they have there. Presumably mostly related to nature conservation and I'm sure there must be some historical treasures there. In particular, I've just read that the first guide\handbook for KNP was published in 1930 and that in 1932, a series of booklets called Unspoilt Africa was started by Stevenson-Hamilton and was published until 1950. Does anyone know whether these publications are available to read in the Skukuza Library?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
There is only one way to find out. Go there and ask the ladies if it is. :lol:

Its not just a library. It's a museum as well!! There are some awesome stuff in there, including a man killing leopard and Harry Wolhuter's lion which he had killed with the knife also present in the same exhibition. :wink:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It is really worth a visit.
It is also the best place to go in 40 degree heat. Because of preserving the books and artifacts it is lovely and cool.
WTM is right in terms of the museum being really a place of interest.

I am not sure if its still there, but there was also one of the most magnificent exhibitions of wildlife photography in the hall opposite the museum.

Then there is one of the most luxurious, comfortable leather chairs to sink into after a hot morning's viewing. I did once have a quick 10 minute catnap there.

I have never been able to spend too long in the library, due to various factors, but I think it is well worth exploring.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
a lil bit more on what we have read @ the Library.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Road outside Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:47 pm 
Guru
Guru

jakoventer wrote:
When leaving camp, there is a road that turns left with a no entry sign. This road seems to come out at the intersection with the day visitors spot on the left.

This would be a great shortcut to avoid the traffic. Does anyone know if the road is blocked and what will happen if you do use it as a shortcut.

Hi Jakoventer

I assure you, that road isn't really that exciting. Down there, you can see things like our finance and administration building, the staff quarters complex, the vehicle maintenance area, storage facilities and other logistics. It isn't really attractive anyway, so I would advise against using this road.

It is only for staff and official vehicle use, so if you are caught using this road, you will get a fine.

Sorry, but no.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

mel123 wrote:
I've always thought that Skukuza is too "big and commercial" but this topic has convinced me to give it another go.

I had the same perception until I camped in Skukuza in for 5 nights during November 1999. Since then I have a total different opinion about this camp. Yes, the jeep jockeys can pester you on the roads around Skukuza, and traffic jams at good sightings can be at the order of the day - but the camp itself is great.

I have camped in Skukuza once after 1999, and in my opinion it is the camp with the best maintained and neatest ablution facilities for campers. I love the camp and will be in the Elsie Clarke guset house during mid-February.

I am convinced that you will enjoy Skukuza.

Last edited by Stoffel on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: New Restaurant in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
A NEW restaurant, The Jackalberry, has been opened at the Skukuza camp in the Kruger National Park.

The restaurant can cater for up to 188 guests and also has an Amarula Lounge, which is furnished with large, comfortable leather couches. Three decks have been built around the restaurant, which can accommodate up to 120 guests who choose to eat their meals or drink cocktails outdoors. It also has an upgraded Boma and a separate braai area.

The Jackalberry is open from 07h00 to 22h00 and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. It has small buffets offering a large variety of cold and hot foods and the main serving area acts as a 'Theatre of Food' where guests can watch the food being cooked.

Willem Viviers, gm of Compass Game Park Services, who manage all the restaurants and catering requirements in the Kruger National Park, said that the plan was to upgrade all the service outlets and restaurants in the Kruger Park over the next period.

From a travel newsletter I receive daily.

Post subject: New Restaurant in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Foxy

We were there for 4 nights last week. The renovations that they have done to the restaurant are excellent. The outdoor eating/viewing area built at the fence in front of the restaurant, is great.
They were also doing work at the Lower Sabie restaurant last week. Sanding the floors & painting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:04 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We'll be in KNP in 3 weeks tomorrow. I may have to take work along. We'll be at Skuks for 4 nights. I read that there is an internet café, has anyone used it? Would I be able to rely on it to send/receive e-mails? PS I don't have wireless access.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I used it in January to do internet banking.
It is a bit pricey at R30 for 15minutes, but it works for emergencies.

Post subject: Skukuza Elsie Clarke
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:43 am 

Does anybody have an idea where the Elsie Clarke Guest cottage is on the Skukuza map?

Most camps have bungalows indicating 3 people max - will they be willing to add another mattress for young child? (at extra rate of course).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:01 pm 

Hi, Bekke, the elsie clarke cottage is when you pass the train restaurant,turn left at the last row of cottages, the cottage is the first one on your right hand, facing the river.hope this info is enough for you, or i could get the actual cottage no for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next