Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:28 pm 

I agree, hope they "move" the old gate! Holds lots of nearly late and one definitely late memories! Had to go get my permit from the ranger in his office the next morning, felt like a naughty schoolboy visiting the headmasters office again ! Fortunately back in the days when first time offenders only got a stern warning.

What are your views on the new day visitors centre architecture ? For me it looks a bit "space-age", not in keeping with the bush-vibe ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi I just stumbled over this topic.
I think the new entrance gate is indeed ugly.DB described it's location quite well .
The day visitors area with no large trees looks sterile,not very comfortable as nightjar remarked especially during the hot summer months.The whole area reminded us of some kind of building site.

Here is the new gate:

And this is how the old gate looks at the moment:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Such a waste changing this gate!!!

That wooden gate is part of Kruger. Love all the gates that still look like this. Hoping that they at least move it and put it in at the new entrance.

Still don't understand the need for moving it in the first place.

Have been going to Satara for 29 of my 30 years and it just won't be the same anymore. One of my favourite camps and gates have been changed forever. :cry:
The feeling I got when I make that last turn and you've got the old friend welcoming you 50m down the road to come in and relax under it's trees won't ever be the same I think.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject: Long term planning
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:44 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Forumites

Here is the classic situation of where I believe the forum plays an important role in the development and improvement of the KNP in general.

Having read this thread, I approached our Technical Services Department and asked what the plan was regarding Satara Camp Gate. I used the fact that our forum members were saying that the old gate added considerable ambiance to the camp and that you felt that ambiance might be lost if the new gate didn't have the atmosphere of the old gate.

I have since been told that it is definitely in the long term planning that we will try and give the new gate as much of the old gate's ambiance as we can. However, as the camp's other facilities need attention at the moment, our priorities are to fix the camp first before this can be done.

I think the forumites who raised this issue should give themselves a pat on the back! Personally, I am constantly amazed at what the forum achieves, both actively via projects like Duke Quest and passively by words of encouragement, advice and constructive feedback. This can only make our beloved Kruger even better.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thinking, just thinking.

Thing is, these gates are not just gates. They speak to us in many ways. They carry our memories. They allow us to feel secure and happy.
If you look at the postings on this thread, you have to say, they are all mad. Kruger mad. Gates are not gates, they are a symbol of a passion for the wild. Why else would we even have this thread about a very small pathetic gate?

As we go out they breathe in our hopes and expectations. As we come in, they carry our memories.

There are many changes, and believe me I support them. Yet we need to be a part of the change.

What I am saying, if the gates need to be moved, if you need man/woman power, we are there.

I would sleep on the floor.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:06 am 

Well I am a bit relieved that the gate is temporary but still think it shouldn't take too long to move the old gate- it was in perfect condition so new logs etc are not required. The new entrance is probably designed for better privacy for the a-ring bungalows and that is why they closed the old one. I personally think the time spent to consruct the temporary gate could have been used more effectively, especially before the busy December holidays. In the packed winter months I wonder what impression the tourists from oversees will get if they see that gate (if it's not replaced).
I'm also up for the re-gate. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:46 am 

Here are the pics as things stand at present, so we can plan our strategies for the relocation. :whistle: :lol:

Old gate.

New gate and entrance. (lets hope for not too long)

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Satara gate
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 am 

Have just returned from Satara and I agree, the old gate has sentimental value. But the day we left (Tuesday 6th) they were starting to clad the boring brick pillars of the new gate with stone - perhaps they will emulate the old gate?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:36 am 

The old gate has been moved and installed at the new entrance and is proudly standing guard again. The temporary gates are still in front of the wooden gates but are only hanging on a thread! I am sure the camp name will still be done and hopefully it will soon have the character of the old entrance.

Post subject: Satara Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
hi Oumie,
yes they upgraded the camping sites. Basically what they have done is to make several areas demarcated into 4 squares/rectangles. Where all the 4 squares meet they have situated the power supply for the 4 stands as well as a tap and garbage can. at night it is also lit up. There are a number of these areas and seem to be working on more. Personally i think it is a good idea as the rectangle is clearly demarcated and hopefully will dissuade certain campers from monopolising more than there fair share of space. Having a tap nearby is also a boon and you can simply connect a short hose to your caravans water tank.
There is also a new ablution block which unfortunately has been fitted with inferior taps. When I was there in January 07 I had to report on more than one occassion leaking taps and urinals.(The whole floor became flooded.) As far as I am concerned this is the best camp for game viewing but could not get any late bookings for the 19/5/07 to 26/5/07. Instead i will be camping at Malelane(first time) and Crocodile Bridge(my 2nd favourite camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Satara is my favourite camp, game-wise. Two idyllic holidays there as a kid in the 80s. On both occasions spent a week or more in a caravan. The camping area used to be a massive lush 'field' on the north side, was sad to see it had been left to become so arid, on our last visit (stopped there for lunch). But apparently this was the new policy, that camp grounds would be left to become more 'natural'.

As kids do, we hooked up with similar aged kids, and played like mad in camp. They had an autovilla, and secured a parking right up against the fence, whereas we were closer to the access road with our Fleetline II. Great times.

Back then (83 and 84), the ablutions were very new, and certainly the smartest in the park, very mod for the times, barring the then brand new BnD.

There are just so many routes to take, in all directions. West, with lots of loopies to Orpen, the Timbavati / Roodewal routes, N'wanetsi to the east, or the H1 in either direction.

Or if you wanted a quiet day in camp, where the takeaway joint is now, you could sit under the trees, and watch the goings on beyond the fence, or read a book, or whatever. Now it's just a clutter of tour buses and oriental visitors with enormous Canons.

I seem to recall an enormous fig tree on the lawns there, but the shade stunted the lawn growth, so expect it was cut down.

I also remember the resident bio-friendly lawn mowers... warthogs!

And the one day we did a drive all the way out to Orpen, and filled up there. Orpen camp was not electrified then, and the fuel pumps were hand-cranked. Which is fine if you just want ten litres. But not when you have a Ford Granada with 100-litre fuel tank! :D After about ten minutes of furious pumping, the attendant looked under the car to see if there was a leak!

----------------------------

But anyways, I am SO STOKED! I got a BG3 in Satara in place of our night in Letaba, so the ridiculous Olifants-Letaba transition is out of the way, and the long drive down to Skuk is broken up.

But it does call into question the res system. At HQ on 2 March, the guy told me the park was uber full, which was weird, being school terms and mid-week. Now all of a sudden I can get my choice of accommodation wherever, pretty much.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I remember that the new Satara entrance was discussed a while back. I don't know if pics were posted of the gate (I can't find the topic anymore). Anyway, here are pics of the old and the new gate:

Old gate

New gate

As you can see the new gate is not very attractive :cry: The wooden gate that was used in the old gate has been moved to the new gate. This wooden gate isn't used to close the camp though, it's just a decoration. There is a brand new electrified mesh wire gate that is now used. The new gate is definitely not an improvement over the old gate :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My favourite morning drive from Satara is south, then west onto the Sweni Road. Have seen lion and rhino at Welverdiend waterhole and leopard close by. Then its breakfast at Muzandzeni. Shimangwaneni Dam close by can have large herds of buffalo and elephant, while Mondzweni has a good natural viewing platform and attracts general game, plus the S36 is a good road for sable. I would then return via the S125 to Kumana Dam and the southernmost boabab, then up by the main road.

Favourite evening drive is to Girivani waterhole, which has a great spot under the trees on its western side to park and watch the animals and birds come down for an evening drink.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
hi Monne, I was at Satara for 5 days during May this tear. We found the southern section of the S90 very productive(before the S41 intersection.Apart from elephant, buffalo there were a number of grazers incl waterbuck wildebeest zebra (considerably more on this road than the S100 which is still a favourite road for me). We spotted lions on 3 separate occassions on the S90 about 6km from the H1-4 intersection and near the S41 intersection. We also spotted rhino's on three occassions (the same ones) on the S41 about 2 km from the S90 intersection. The group consisted of 4 individuals and were fairly tolerant of vehicles.
Another road worthwhile is the Vutomi road (S33) on which we spotted rhino, elephant and buffalo as well as a unbelievable sighting of a serval in the middle of the road.
As far as the camping is concerned pick a spot any spot. i usually find the fence sites fully occupied and I then scout for a shady spot which can also be difficult.
Satara is my favourite camp and I will be there during the last week of August 07. :dance: :dance: I hope you enjoy your stay.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

We have to do that BB, because all our other campers have complained to me that your tent flaps go into their camp spaces. :wink: :P :D

Seriously though, we are busy upgrading all our camping facilities to having demarkated sites rather than the present situation of first come, first served. The advantages are numerous, but include:
* Star grading;
* No more arguments;
* Pre book certain campsites;
* No more arguments;
* Control over amount of people on a campsite;
* No more arguments;
* Ensuring decent facilities (eg taps, braai areas etc) are accessable for each camp site;
* No more arguments.

Hope that explains ... :D :wink:

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next