Skip to Content

Getaway Magazine

See what other forumites recommend you should read
Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Getaway Magazine

Unread postby Freda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:56 pm

There is an article 'Kruger Parks 10 Megaticks'. I swear this article was written by this forum, nearly everyone of the 10 have been mentioned on here:-)

bwana
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: February's Getaway Magazine

Unread postby bwana » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:08 pm

Freda wrote:There is an article 'Kruger Parks 10 Megaticks'. I swear this article was written by this forum, nearly everyone of the 10 have been mentioned on here:-)

Just bought it. I'll give it a look through later.
All your snakes are belong to us.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:06 am

I must say I really enjoy the Afr mag. The english one has got way too many ads in it!
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

francoisd

Unread postby francoisd » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:15 am

Also enjoy [sensor name]Wegbreek[/sensor name] more. Its got a beter mix of exotic and affordable destinations in it. Getaway sometimes focus more on the exotic (read unaffordable) options of destinations that also have budget options.

Hey, maybe we can help them to find a new name.

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:17 am

I enjoy the Getaway's photographs - remember the issue of March2003 with that INCREDIBLE photo of the Great White Shark on the cover? :shock: Just for interest sake - do anyone of you know what Nigel Dennis' involvement with the mag is at the moment?

Andreas Cierpka
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Andreas Cierpka » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:14 pm

Dear All,

thounds interresting as we go the second time to the Park. Bad news for us is that the mag isn't available in Germany. Can anyone scan it and send it via email to me?

The Park is for 6 days now on our list and it's a great pleasure for us to return.

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:39 pm

do anyone of you know what Nigel Dennis' involvement with the mag is at the moment?

He is still an associate photojournalist for GETAWAY.

Foxy
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Foxy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:47 pm

The article on the Caprivi was also most interesting and brought back memories, we spent time there last year April and loved it - but didn't see too much game.

bwana
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bwana » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:13 am

Foxy wrote:The article on the Caprivi was also most interesting and brought back memories, we spent time there last year April and loved it - but didn't see too much game.

Not too much game? Did you see lots of elephant though?
All your snakes are belong to us.

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sun May 08, 2005 6:59 pm

In reaction to the article I was talking about, there is an article in response in the latest GETAWAY magazine by KNPSpokesman.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:42 am

The July 2005 issue of Getaway has an article called "In Deep Water". It is about the effect the raising of the Massingir Dam wall in Mozambique will have on the Olifants Gorge in KNP.

There are also letters in reponse to the article in an earlier issue about 'Selling Kruger' referred to earlier.

There is also an article on Addo.

Getaway website
Sawubona
Dalene

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Getaway mag on line

Unread postby arks » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:28 pm

I picked up a couple of copies of Getaway from the SA tourism office when I was in London (they're MUCH more helpful there than at the US one in NYC). I'd love to subscribe, but at a cost of close to $100 ...

What I've discovered on the Getaway website is that if you click on Travel Features on the sidebar, you can then find earlier online articles, searching by month, by country, or by category. They don't include everything in the mag on line, but there's quite a bit of interest in the back issues. Plus they appear to include more from back issues than they do of the current issue.

DebM
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DebM » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:24 am

DinkyBird wrote:The July 2005 issue of Getaway has an article called "In Deep Water". It is about the effect the raising of the Massingir Dam wall in Mozambique will have on the Olifants Gorge in KNP.

There are also letters in reponse to the article in an earlier issue about 'Selling Kruger' referred to earlier.

Getaway website

Have just read the article on the raising of the dam wall, and the effects it may have on the Olifants Gorge and possibly other areas of KNP - there does seem to be some concern with in SANparks but if the article's correct they appear not to be getting any response to their concerns. Are there any other article with regards to the impact the new high of the dam wall will have on KNP?

Glad to see an article on Addo as we are off there in Nov.

francoisd

Unread postby francoisd » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:15 am

Bouf wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:The July 2005 issue of Getaway has an article called "In Deep Water". It is about the effect the raising of the Massingir Dam wall in Mozambique will have on the Olifants Gorge in KNP.

Getaway website

Have just read the article on the raising of the dam wall, and the effects it may have on the Olifants Gorge and possibly other areas of KNP - there does seem to be some concern with in SANparks but if the article's correct they appear not to be getting any response to their concerns. Are there any other article with regards to the impact the new high of the dam wall will have on KNP?

Glad to see an article on Addo as we are off there in Nov.

Also read the article this weekend. After pages of stating how difficult it is to find people who can clarify this issue and what bad effects the raising of the dam wall will have, and getting the reader feeling a little "angry" at the Mozambique authorities, the writer close the article with a very true and just paragraph of about 4 lines. Don't have the magazine with me but basically it states that the raising of the dam wall is to allow them to store more water. With all the dams in the SA side of the river, the amount of water reaching Moz is less every year. So maybe we should start looking at things on our side of the border as well?
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

gwendolen

Re: Getaway Magazine

Unread postby gwendolen » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:27 am

Freda wrote:There is an article 'Kruger Parks 10 Megaticks'. I swear this article was written by this forum, nearly everyone of the 10 have been mentioned on here:-)

It's online here. Must read for first timers!

Return to “Bookshelf”