Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: New Satara entrance gate
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I am disappointed in the new gate and quite honestly can see no reason for the new gate. When i was there in November 2006 the new gate was made out of diamond meshing and has no character at all. Maybe this is a tempory measure and a more aesthetic entrance is on the cards.
regards

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:08 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I think I read on a trip report that they intend to move the old gate, I think it was Pardus that mentioned it :?
I preferred the old entrance but then again I can't see the point of many of these changes :roll:
I think my age has something to do with it :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I sure hope they plan on relocating the gate, for me the entrance gates to the camps are all part of the experience... at the end of a long day out game viewing, or when arriving for the first night to stay at camp, I get a good feeling entering the gates.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:28 pm 

I agree, hope they "move" the old gate! Holds lots of nearly late and one definitely late memories! Had to go get my permit from the ranger in his office the next morning, felt like a naughty schoolboy visiting the headmasters office again ! Fortunately back in the days when first time offenders only got a stern warning.

What are your views on the new day visitors centre architecture ? For me it looks a bit "space-age", not in keeping with the bush-vibe ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi I just stumbled over this topic.
I think the new entrance gate is indeed ugly.DB described it's location quite well .
The day visitors area with no large trees looks sterile,not very comfortable as nightjar remarked especially during the hot summer months.The whole area reminded us of some kind of building site.

Here is the new gate:

And this is how the old gate looks at the moment:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Such a waste changing this gate!!!

That wooden gate is part of Kruger. Love all the gates that still look like this. Hoping that they at least move it and put it in at the new entrance.

Still don't understand the need for moving it in the first place.

Have been going to Satara for 29 of my 30 years and it just won't be the same anymore. One of my favourite camps and gates have been changed forever. :cry:
The feeling I got when I make that last turn and you've got the old friend welcoming you 50m down the road to come in and relax under it's trees won't ever be the same I think.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject: Long term planning
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:44 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Forumites

Here is the classic situation of where I believe the forum plays an important role in the development and improvement of the KNP in general.

Having read this thread, I approached our Technical Services Department and asked what the plan was regarding Satara Camp Gate. I used the fact that our forum members were saying that the old gate added considerable ambiance to the camp and that you felt that ambiance might be lost if the new gate didn't have the atmosphere of the old gate.

I have since been told that it is definitely in the long term planning that we will try and give the new gate as much of the old gate's ambiance as we can. However, as the camp's other facilities need attention at the moment, our priorities are to fix the camp first before this can be done.

I think the forumites who raised this issue should give themselves a pat on the back! Personally, I am constantly amazed at what the forum achieves, both actively via projects like Duke Quest and passively by words of encouragement, advice and constructive feedback. This can only make our beloved Kruger even better.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thinking, just thinking.

Thing is, these gates are not just gates. They speak to us in many ways. They carry our memories. They allow us to feel secure and happy.
If you look at the postings on this thread, you have to say, they are all mad. Kruger mad. Gates are not gates, they are a symbol of a passion for the wild. Why else would we even have this thread about a very small pathetic gate?

As we go out they breathe in our hopes and expectations. As we come in, they carry our memories.

There are many changes, and believe me I support them. Yet we need to be a part of the change.

What I am saying, if the gates need to be moved, if you need man/woman power, we are there.

I would sleep on the floor.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:06 am 

Well I am a bit relieved that the gate is temporary but still think it shouldn't take too long to move the old gate- it was in perfect condition so new logs etc are not required. The new entrance is probably designed for better privacy for the a-ring bungalows and that is why they closed the old one. I personally think the time spent to consruct the temporary gate could have been used more effectively, especially before the busy December holidays. In the packed winter months I wonder what impression the tourists from oversees will get if they see that gate (if it's not replaced).
I'm also up for the re-gate. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:46 am 

Here are the pics as things stand at present, so we can plan our strategies for the relocation. :whistle: :lol:

Old gate.

New gate and entrance. (lets hope for not too long)

Post subject: Satara gate
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 am 

Have just returned from Satara and I agree, the old gate has sentimental value. But the day we left (Tuesday 6th) they were starting to clad the boring brick pillars of the new gate with stone - perhaps they will emulate the old gate?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:36 am 

The old gate has been moved and installed at the new entrance and is proudly standing guard again. The temporary gates are still in front of the wooden gates but are only hanging on a thread! I am sure the camp name will still be done and hopefully it will soon have the character of the old entrance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 pm 

guepard wrote:
I have just booked 4 days in Feb in the Wells Guest House and and a Guest Cottage. Can any one of you friendly people tell me if they are far apart?
I know the Wells House is next to the A circle closer to the reception area. No idea where the guest cottages are.

Hi Guepard, Penny is away in the park until the 17th, but if you have a look at the map here you might be able to get some idea of what the layout of the camp looks like, bearing in mind the entrance gate has moved, but does not affect the layout any.
Hope this helps. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:19 pm 

kev wrote:
Hi.
I have booked a guest cottage in Satara for March this year. As it is my first time in Satara, could someone please advise me which block(number) has the best views. It seems to me that block G has pirimeter views.
Thanks

Hi Kev,

Block G are bungalows and our first choice when staying in Satara. The guest cottages if I remember correctly are the ones in D circle indicated as Family huts on the map. A link to the map is in Elsa's post above.

guepard when standing in the road facing Well's guest house there is a tree in the right hand corner at the wooden fence. The Scops Owl was staying there when we were in Kruger a while back

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:54 pm 

Hi Jen,

the perimeter bunalows at Satara are at the G block. You just need to book a bungalow with view BG2V then you will be automatically booked at the G block. Nearly all of them are lovely.

Good luck :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next