SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TXDrifter wrote:
1. In the accommodations that have kitchen facilities are can-openers provided?

2. In those accommodations that provide refrigerators, are they all located outside the main unit. If so, can the critters get into them and what you do to prevent that? Not having a fridge is not an acceptable option. :wink:

I can't help about the can openers, but about the fridge, they are in most cases located outside, on the stoep. In some camps there are problems with either baboons or monkeys and this has been addressed in several ways. At Olifants, some of the fridges and cabinets have faily critter-proof latches. Elsewhere, it is suggested that you either turn your fridge around (OK if you're a guy, but not something I can manage on my own) or that you barricade it by blocking it with your table and chairs. This is a nuisance, but it usually works.

Camps that I know have critters problems are Olifants, Lower Sabie and Skukuza. Others can likely advise you about other camps that I've not stayed at, such as Letaba and Satara.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There are two luxury (in inverted commas) cottages at Satara - the Rudy Frankel cottage and the Stanley. The Rudy Frankel burned down but has subsequently been rebuilt - it has 5 main en suite bedrooms now whereas before it used to have 4! It has its own private garden with a floodlight that is controlled by only whoever is staying in the house and it is situated directly behind the waterhole which when you look at Satara from the main tar road is to the right of the main entrance.

The other cottage is the Stanley and this has three bedrooms each with its own bathroom - it is a little old fashioned but positively charming and full of history - it has a HUGE lounge and diningroom but quite a small kitchen. It also has a floodlight and its own private garden with views of the same waterhole as the Rudy Fankel.

I do not think that either of these donor cottages fall under what could be termed a bungalow and cost R1665,00 for 4 people per night!

I hope this answers the query on the luxury bungalow.

Yours in Parking
Penny

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Elad, this must vary from camp to camp. I have only used the laundry at Olifants and it very definitely has both washers and dryers. Perhaps others will add info on other camps.

@bert: at which camp did you not have a dryer?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 am 

Our timeshare lodge has solved this problem by having round metal discs that one purchases from reception, fits the slots in the washers and dryers perfectedly and no more rushing around trying to find the correct change and coins. :D

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject: Re: Braai Facilities
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Schnooks wrote:
Please advise if the Safari tents (cheap one) at Tamboti and the Huts (cheap ones) at Shingwedzi have braai facilities.

Yes and yes, have stayed in both.
Schnooks wrote:
I have just read under Tamboti that there are communal braai facilities.

There are. I took a big group there in 2005 and we were able to braai together
Schnooks wrote:
I would like to be able to sit outside our tent and hut and braai rather than schlep all the stuff off to a communal area.

Can do, that is the norm.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Pinarelloman,

All bedding is supplied in the tents and the bungalows. Have a great trip! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You are far more likely to need air-conditioning than you are heating! We have experienced temperatures in the latter part of September of over 40 degrees! But if you are in the Park when the first rains come then it can literally turn cold overnight so you have to be prepared. Most of the older air cons in the accommodation are too old to be heating units but there again you can always go to bed with a hot water bottle if needs be! Personally, I believe that September/October is the best time to visit Kruger and we will be there ourselves from 21st September through to the 6th October. Enjoy!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi & Welcome DWB. :D
If you've booked one of the Semi-luxury Safari Tents they are fully equipped, if you've booked a Budget Tent then you'd need to either take your own or arrange a Cutlery and Plates Hampers to be collected at Orpen.

Have you had a look at Tamboti Satellite Camp

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Matnikstym,
Most of the bungalows have plates, cups, glasses ect. I have never stayed where there has been cutlery. I don't think that the huts have plates.
I always take my own dishcloths and washing liquid. Its handy to have. I'm not sure if it is supplied by the Parks. Toilet soap for personal use is supplied.
Toilet paper, towels and bedding are supplied. I tend to take a towel and toilet paper though, just in case of emergencies.

Have a great holiday, lucky fish. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Utensils includes everything you would need in a kitchen - including dishwashing soap and cloths etc. If the bungalow has a kitchen it will be fully equipped. You just have to bring your food, drinks, cooler box, clothes and towels for swimming.
I don't think paper towels are supplied but loo paper is. I would take an extra roll of loo paper just in case there is none at the picninc sites.

Some bungalows (not the budget huts) have a communal kitchen, you will have to bring your own utensils.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Work on 'utensils' = basics.

A plate, a cup, a bowl, a 200 ml glass, and basic cutlery.

At Orpen we've had full house of utensils, including spatula, braai tongs, serving spoon etc, whereas at Skukuza we didn't have braai tongs or a can opener.

We take those items along anyway, just in case.

Washing up stuff is entirely not provided. So take dish washing liquid, sponge, and cloths as required, plus a plastic tub to cart all washup items from bungalow to communal washup. Add to this a plug for the basins... at most of the washups, these are missing-in-action, and having your own plug could see you skipping the 'queue' for the only basin with a plug, to an unoccupied one. Get one of those with a small bore, but a wide flange, so it'll fit regardless of the size of the plug hole.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes, bath & hand towels are provided. Not sure which camp you're looking at, but if intending to use a swimming pool, you will need your own towels for that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HI Lovehyena (love your name)!

There are pools at Letaba and Pretoriuskop as well.

Regarding utensils, there are certain things I always take with me - it seems they are the popular items that go home with some of the guests:
Peeler
Corkskrew/bottle opener
Tin opener
Braai tongs
Steak knives / sharp knife for cutting veggies etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:37 am 

Can anyone use the pools or is it only people who are staying at that camp? We are staying at Roodewal in Feb. and I was planning on organising our drives so we go to a camp with a pool everyday so we could cool off.

Also can anyone use the laundry services at camps or do you have to be staying there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is normally camp residents only , but February is not hugely busy , so I am sure you will be able to .
I think you get a satara booking slip for roodewal anyway , so you will likely be able to use that if they are checking at the gate of the pool , as its considered a satara satellite camp .

There is also the day visitor area at letaba that has a pool .

February being the hotest month IMO is a good month to take the swimming gear along :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next