Skip to Content

Around the Campfire – An introduction

Find and discuss information on the Honorary Rangers
Jay
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:49 pm

As the areas adjacent to SANParks have direct influence on the parks, it is, as MM says, essential they be involved in EIA's.

I find this whole EIA business a little scary as is. I mean, just how trustworthy are independant assesors? If you as an independent assesor continually 'crimp" the style of developers etc( as EIA's are prone to do), surely word would get out and businesses will not use you? Personally I think all EIA's should be done by government organisations.

We have had some pretty awful things happen here locally lately, with EIA's apparently done beforehand. As it is SANParks is opposing a project by a property developer adjacent to the West Coast National Park.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:25 am

Jay, I know your area is particularly sensitive and developers are homing in with water guzzling golf estates.
An area and development I feel very strongly about is the new proposed dam near Phalabora. It is going to have a devastating effect on the Olifants river.

The greatest victim here will be Kruger and the many species about to loose a habitat.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

niknak

Unread postby niknak » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Should this thread not be moved to Chit-Chat where more people will be exposed to the discussions and maybe a Guru or two might give us the benifit of their expertise. :?:
Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but indifferent.

Return to “SANParks Honorary Ranger Activities”