Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 870 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: First time and I dont know which camps?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:13 pm 

Im planning a holiday to Kruger for a group of adults. We will be driving up from Cape Town and are thinking of going on Easter or the May public holiday if possible. It will be my first time to Kruger and I really dont know where to start planning We will probably spend four nights in the park, preferably in two camps. We are quite keen on camping or something rustic for accommodation. Any brief advice on which camps to go for would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:42 pm 

Location: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my bush camp luxury safari tent.
Hello chicken,

I visited at Easter time in 2004. It'll be busy, and you might have to settle for any accommodation you can get. Have a look at the availability section (near the top of the list to the left) and have a look at the monthly calendar. You'll find reviews and descriptions of all the camps on this website and forum.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:10 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi chicken and welcome
Try Pretoriuskop, Satara or Letaba if you want the rustic huts and atmosphere or for camping

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:43 pm 

Welcome to the forum chicken!

First time to Kruger - stick 'south' is my advice. Satara is good, and of course I love Lower Sabie. Both have excellent game viewing surrounding areas. Book asap though - Easter is a very busy time.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:44 pm 

Hi chicken and welcome :)
I would go for Pretoriuskop and Tamboti!
Think you would like Balule but it is a bit far for only 4 nights.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:12 pm 

Judging by the crowds when passing Lower Sabie in Dec en route to Biyamiti this holiday trip..if you are thinking of going over Easter/May Hols you must take what you can get at this late stage if you want to stay in the South. But if you still want to go at that time and want to have all 4 nights in 1 stretch instead of packing out each day then go a little further north to Mopani/Shingwedzi where it should be easier to get in and you get more of a "Game Reserve" feeling instead of "Mall Crawling" when going to the shops in the south to get a bottle of water.IMHO

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi chicken and welcome!

I think Freda's suggestion is excellent, as Pretoriuskop is one of the less hectic camps in the south, with lots of history and atmosphere, while Tamboti will give you a really rustic, bush experience in the game-rich central part of the park. You can visit busier camps, such as Lower Sabie or Satara, as part of your daily drives. While I, too, love the north, especially Parfuri, I would not recommend it for a first-time visit, as while there is loads of atmosphere, good sightings are generally less frequent in the north simply because there is overall less game.

I'd say save the north for your next KNP visit (because you will definitely return), when you will inevitably stay longer and have the time to explore further. 8)

@ Boulder, while I know that you prefer the north, most first-time visitors will prefer the south or central areas of KNP, even at the busiest of times.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
<...>@ Boulder, while I know that you prefer the north, most first-time visitors will prefer the south or central areas of KNP, even at the busiest of times.

No offense, arks, and also not because I am (and have been since my very first visit) a fan of the North myself, but I think it's perfectly legitimate to mention pro's and con's of South vs. North, as Boulder did. A first time visit to Kruger National Park does not automatically mean an absence of acquired bush-taste on the part of the "new" Kruger visitor.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Chicken
As Winny has said you'll not have a great deal of choice over Easter.
Have just check the availability page and in the south on the 6th April Malelane Satellite Camp has camp sites, then north Tsendze rustic camp site, Mopani-Shipandani Hide(sleeps 6) and Punda Maria have spaces. For the dates either side of the 6th more camps have accommodation/camp sites available.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 am 

arks wrote:
Hi chicken and welcome!

I think Freda's suggestion is excellent, as Pretoriuskop is one of the less hectic camps in the south, with lots of history and atmosphere, while Tamboti will give you a really rustic, bush experience in the game-rich central part of the park. You can visit busier camps, such as Lower Sabie or Satara, as part of your daily drives. While I, too, love the north, especially Parfuri, I would not recommend it for a first-time visit, as while there is loads of atmosphere, good sightings are generally less frequent in the north simply because there is overall less game.

I'd say save the north for your next KNP visit (because you will definitely return), when you will inevitably stay longer and have the time to explore further. 8)

@ Boulder, while I know that you prefer the north, most first-time visitors will prefer the south or central areas of KNP, even at the busiest of times.

If they can get a booking South of Letaba River then i agree with you....I'm just being realistic...booking in the South for Easter now is like winning the Lotto Jackpot two week ends in a row.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Booking may or may not be a problem.
Cancellations happen all the time and it is possible to hit the jackpot. I have on a number of occasions.
I would find someone on the Sanparks booking team and ask them to keep an eye open for you. Politeness and personal contact goes a long way. Phone every day. I think there is still enough time to go for gold.

In terms of where to go...
if you are a birder, I would go north, otherwise I would go central and south.

I would support Freda's and Arks' suggestion about P'kop and Tamboti. P'kop to my mind has the best atmosphere of the bigger camps and some lovely scenic drives.
Tamboti is just so special that if its very crowded on the roads, you don't even have to leave camp.

Post subject: First Safari
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 pm 

Hi - my girlfriend (a South African national) and I (from the UK) are planning a trip to Kruger in May. Apologies if any of this is repetition of other people's questions, but I was looking to create a thread specific to my own needs :roll:

Having looked through the various camps and their satellites, it's hard to decide where to begin; this is a dream come true for me and I really want to make the most of our first visit.

We are planning on between 7 and 10 days in the park.

Where would you suggest we base ourselves considering it's our first time?

What kind of accommodation would you suggest - either camping or a small cottage appears to be the best option? Would it be best to mix it up for a fuller experience?

Are the tariffs shown per person per night? :redface:

My main interest here is mammals, so, based on "The Big 5", is this achievable given the time constraint?

Any other tips / hints to make this trip absolutely special?

Benn

KNP - 10 nights 05/2007
Addo - 10 nights 12-21/10/2008

Post subject: Re: First Safari
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:18 pm 

Hi Benn,

Welcome to the Sanparks forum. You'll get tons of advice. We love planning trips to Kruger, even if it is someone else's. :lol:

Have a look in this thread for tips for first timers: First-time Kruger

Benn Kempster wrote:
What kind of accommodation would you suggest - either camping or a small cottage appears to be the best option? Would it be best to mix it up for a fuller experience?

If you have camping gear in SA, I can recommend a mix.
Camping in Letaba, Balule and/or Tzendze
Bungalow in Berg en Dal, Skukuza, Olifants and/or Satara
Safari tent in Lower Sabie, but they are still renovationg the camp, so I'm not sure you can get anything there.

Quote:
Are the tariffs shown per person per night? :redface:

No, per accomodation per night.

Quote:

Yes, book a morningwalk and a sunsetdrive, and I really loved the Selati Station restaurant in Skukuza too.

Have fun planning! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:30 pm 

Hi and welcome, Benn :)
You will get lots of advice here, but please include Tamboti on your list (and ask for #40)
Have a great trip!

Post subject: Re: First Safari
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
Benn wrote:

Yes, book a morningwalk and a sunsetdrive, and I really loved the Selati Station restaurant in Skukuza too.
Have fun planning! :D

and a bush braai :D

Hi Benn :yaya: enjoy planning the trip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next